Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Woman dies while watching Passion View next topic
View previous topic
HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 3:22 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KiltedMan wrote:
HyLander42 wrote:
KiltedMan wrote:
See, the best thing about the movie is Mel Gibson hasn't had to spend much on publicity. The Jewish groups who don't read history very well are claiming it's anti-semitic (I'll weigh in on that when I go see it) but it was the Romans, not the Jewish people, who crucified Christ.

Maybe that's because it's not a historical depiction of the last days of Christ. It's entirely based on the Gospels.

Curious, according to King James version, Mark 15: 15-26, the soldiers crucified him. Soldiers at the time serving Rome were Roman. Funny that.

First of all, the "point" you hammered home was that the Bible makes the Jews look responsible; look at Mark 15:15, and John 19:14-15, that you've quoted above. That's the kind of thing Jewish groups focus on. In the same way that a jury is responsible when a man is executed here in the US, not the prison that performs the job.

Second: come on, the King James version? That's not the Catholic Bible, and Gibson is an ultra-conservative Catholic. You might as well be reading from the Book of Mormon! Very Happy
KiltedMan
Womb Raider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HyLander42 wrote:

First of all, the "point" you hammered home was that the Bible makes the Jews look responsible; look at Mark 15:15, and John 19:14-15, that you've quoted above. That's the kind of thing Jewish groups focus on. In the same way that a jury is responsible when a man is executed here in the US, not the prison that performs the job.

Second: come on, the King James version? That's not the Catholic Bible, and Gibson is an ultra-conservative Catholic. You might as well be reading from the Book of Mormon! Very Happy

Hey, I'm Anglican, close to Catholic, but not quite there. Catholic Light: all the sin, half the guilt. Surely where three or four Anglicans/Episcopalians are gathered there will be a fifth Wink. More on the other bit later, I need to smoke.

I call not the fat kid!

Cogito ergo sum fortior!
Soylens Viridis Homines Est.
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 5:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I hear those grammer nazis shoot you in the head if you smoke a cigarette before hitting that "submit" button. Wink

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
KiltedMan
Womb Raider

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2004 7:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Das tut mir leid Herr Uttenreither, ich hatte die Grammatik meines Satzes
pruefen gesollen nicht.

I call not the fat kid!

Cogito ergo sum fortior!
Soylens Viridis Homines Est.
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think he said he likes toast.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

KiltedMan wrote:
John 19: 14-19
14 And it was the preparation of the passover, and about the sixth hour: and he saith unto the Jews, Behold your King! 15 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. 16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away. 17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha: 18 Where they crucified him, and two other with him, on either side one, and Jesus in the midst. 19 And Pilate wrote a title, and put it on the cross. And the writing was JESUS OF NAZARETH THE KING OF THE JEWS.

a serious question.... who is Pilate and why did he decide that Jesus was king of the jews? or why did Jesus think he was king of the jews? i always wondered where that term came from...

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 11:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bigsado wrote:

a serious question.... who is Pilate and why did he decide that Jesus was king of the jews? or why did Jesus think he was king of the jews? i always wondered where that term came from...

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/12083c.htm

An entry on Pilate from a site calling itself the Catholic Encyclopedia. If you feel you can trust the Roman Catholic Church. Wink

I think that the term "King of the Jews" as used by Pilate was largely mocking, as being Jewish was really the only thing that Pilate could say Christ was guilty of under Roman governance, and even that wasn't forbidden, it just labeled you as a second class citizen.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic