Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Powers: Who Killed Retro Girl? View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I recently bought a compilation of six comics which told the story of mundane detectives investigating the murder of one of the world's most beloved super heros, Retro Girl. It's pretty freaking cool. Artwork, dialogue, premise, story, and characters are all good. I'd recomment. I think I got it off of amazon.com for like 17 bucks and now I'm thinking about dropping by Captain Blue Hen's ... eventhough I don't really know jack shit about comics anymore.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 1:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've read retro girl(geo has all comics) but I dont recall it ending, let me know if it does. I cant stand it otherwise.
Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you liked that, I suggest you take a look at "Top Ten", which is about the police unit in a town entirely populated by superheroes. It's a lot of fun, and there are 2 trades out so far. Nate liked it, too.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks for the suggestion. I think this purchase (I also purchased a compilation of Silent Hill comics) could have opened up the door for me on comics again. I just don't know where to start really. I'm not interested in reading anything unless I'm starting at issue 1 ... and I certainly don't know what's good these days either. I guess I like graphic novels more. You buy one and you've got a complete story, instead of "TO BE CONTINUED"

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, what sort of things do you like? I like to think I know a fair bit about comics, and if I don't, I can act my sister, who owns freaking everything.

Do you like heroes, fantasy, horror, war?
Do you like stories that are optimistic, depressing, poignant, or snarky commentaries on society (and have you read Transmet yet?)

Pretty much, any kind of story you like, you can find it in comics form. I just read "Torso," which is about a serial killing case in 1935 which ruined Eliot Ness' political career. It was pretty awesome.

And if you haven't read Sandman yet, that is my #1 rec. It is a classic, and if you have any taste whatsoever, you'll love it.

Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Like I've said to you before LONE WOLF AND CUB! I know you liked Shogun Assasin the movie. This is the same story only more detailed and way extended. That's the only drawback too, there's some 15 books in the series
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 6:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

to the Sandman fan. Have you read the spin off featuring Dream's Cousin: Death- It's not quite as good but still worth reading.
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ah yes, Lone Wolf and Cub. I also seem to remember something in the same genre, Blade of the Immortal I think it was ... the main samurai had a big swatstika on his back, although it had the "pre modern" meaning yadda yadda ...

I enjoy all the major geek food groups ... sci-fi, fantasy, superheros (when the characters and plot aren't cliche) ... horror as well. And I've got this thing for samurai.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read about 8 of the new Spider Man trades at neight and kerrie's, they are teh awesome. I need to visit them again soon to see the new place and read more spidey Very Happy

I still haven't read Sandman, but it's on the list.

Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are about 800 million Sandman spinoffs, and I've read most of them. Yes, the Death ones are pretty good, the second one better than the first. (The one with the Foxglove and Hazel. I can never tell them apart from their titles) I ::heart:: the Little Endless Storybook, too.

Also, for those who enjoy urban fantasy, Books of Magic may be my all time favorite comic series... IF ONLY THEY'D FINISH COLLECTING IT. Oddly enough, although Gaiman wrote the introduction ltd. series, I like Reiber's run muuuuuch better.

Also, if you're interested in heroes, you may want to look into Marvel's Ultimate line. (These are the Spidey comics Brian noted). Basically, they retell the 30-year-old comic stories as though they just happened, so you need no history to follow and enjoy them. Spidey is def. a lot of fun; the Ultimates (it's like the Avengers) is pretty gritty (but it stars Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. No, really!) I've only read a little of Ultimate X-Men, but I didn't like Ult. Beast, and so I stopped.

Also, have you read "Battle Angel Alita"? I'm always a little cautious about manga/anime, but that is def. a winner.

And again, Transmetropolitan. Uty, I think you're cynical enough for that one.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Me? Cynical? *gasp* I prefer to think of it as realism Smile

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 11:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I ::heart:: Spider!

Jump to: