Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 how to fix star wars View next topic
View previous topic
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm with you bill... I prob know more about SW than most, and am a devout fan, and yes there were things about Ep. 1 and 2 that I didnt like, but hey, they're still SW and they still fucking rock because of it. People who bitch about them constantly are just people who bitch whenever things don't go their way.... so fucking take a pill, shove a tampon in your bleeding pussy of a mouth and shut up. If you don't like the way Lucas is making the movies, then don't fuckin watch them. Is that so difficult?

On a side note, I'm just happy that they are putting General Grievous into the movie....
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bjciii wrote:
I'm too far past the age of conformity to give a shit Smile

There is an age for that? Maybe you don't care but I think most people are conformist no matter what age they are...

Anyway, I only think star wars is any good if I compare it to the vast steaming heap of shit that passes for SciFi in movies... Compared to all movies the new ones are mearly average. Now the books on the other hand are utter shite. Or at least the ones I read, like the X-wing series. People have such low expectations for scifi... it's kinda sad.
HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

France wrote:
I'm with you bill... I prob know more about SW than most, and am a devout fan, and yes there were things about Ep. 1 and 2 that I didnt like, but hey, they're still SW and they still fucking rock because of it. People who bitch about them constantly are just people who bitch whenever things don't go their way.... so fucking take a pill, shove a tampon in your bleeding pussy of a mouth and shut up. If you don't like the way Lucas is making the movies, then don't fuckin watch them. Is that so difficult?

So your arguments for Episodes I and II are:
"Anything with Star Wars is TEH GR3AT3ST EV4R!!@!" and
"Anyone who can't see that is TEH SUCK!!@!", and, finally,
"I want to be blissfully ignorant of other people's opinions if they differ from my own."

Well, good luck with that third part.
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stealthr4v3r wrote:
bjciii wrote:
I'm too far past the age of conformity to give a shit Smile

There is an age for that? Maybe you don't care but I think most people are conformist no matter what age they are...

Anyway, I only think star wars is any good if I compare it to the vast steaming heap of shit that passes for SciFi in movies... Compared to all movies the new ones are mearly average. Now the books on the other hand are utter shite. Or at least the ones I read, like the X-wing series. People have such low expectations for scifi... it's kinda sad.

I liked most of the books, there are a few I didn't like but they are in the vast minority. What is nice is that there are so many of them written in different styles, some have a more adventure feel, some have a more sci-fi fantasy feel, some are just good old buddy stories... etc...

which of the X-Wing series did you read? I prefer the ones Allston wrote to the others, the dialog in them cracks me the fuck up
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 9:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I read the first 3 or 4 Stackpole rouge squadron books. I guess it is decent Action... stackpole did pretty good with battletech but all in all i've read much more interesting stuff.
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

from a recent interview on yahoo of the big GL himself
AP wrote:
Do you pay much attention to fan reactions to your choices?

George Lucas wrote:
Not really. The movies are what the movies are. ... The thing about science-fiction fans and "Star Wars" fans is they're very independent-thinking people. They all think outside the box, but they all have very strong ideas about what should happen, and they think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way.

Right on George!!
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't red too many SW books because it just makes realize more how much these prequels are shite. Take the Darth Maul books for instance, they make him a real jedi-killin' badass. Not some amature that gets so suprised by Obi Wan force trick that his light saber doesn't ignite. "Wow!?! jedi sure can jump high, oh noo aaahhhhg".
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But his way is wrong.............

>^_@< ~/-\
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

George Lucas wrote:
The movies are what the movies are... until I say they should be changed
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

George Lucas wrote:

Or the SA goons get a hold of 'em.

http://www.somethingawful.com/articles.php?a=2374

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

George Lucas wrote:

There's two sides to this one. On Lucas' end he now has the technology and the immense Scrooge McDuck vaults of coin to do the movies as he originally wanted to do them. They are his intellectual property and he has the right AND the rights to do whatever he wants to them. He claims it's his "artistic vision" to make these changes. He toiled for years with it and now he can see the full realization of his dream for these movies made so damn long ago (27 years ago... shit I'm old). For another example of "It's my toy and I'll do what I want with it," see Ted Turner's colorization of the classics in the mid-to-late 1980s.

On the other hand, The original Star Wars Trilogy was a HUGE part of most of our childhoods. I had as many of the toys as I could get my grubby little hands on and I bet there are many more of you just like me who knew every nuance, word, and gesture in those three films. To see things change from a well-loved cinematic event like that, well it's bullshit. I wanted to see Han blow Greedo's damn head off first. I wanted to here THE ORIGINAL Ewok song at the end of Jedi. I don't need people switching my memories around goddamn it!

The only way we'll be able to see the original movies is on VHS format for those of us lucky enough to have bought the copies way back when. I'm sure I'll be getting The Trilogy on DVD next week for my birthday and I WILL enjoy watching them (with the sole exception of that fucking Hayden Christensen at the end of Jedi taking Sebastian Shaw's place in the ghostly trio), but I know I'll miss the stuff that he decided to change.

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In general I agree with that as far as the updated technology is concerned. Sure, go back and redo the SFX scenes to make them spiffier. But the doesn't explain the Greedo thing. he obviously had the technology to do the scene that way when he originally envisioned. so the change is not his original vision. i think he should use the newer movies to express his change of vision and preserve the original vision of the earlier movies.

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 2:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can most definitely agree to that one. Damn that revisionist history!!! If he keeps that up, we'll start to see:

HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 7:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.penny-arcade.com/view.php3?date=2004-09-22&res=l

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic