Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Violent Media and helping Nena with her homework View next topic
View previous topic
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tell the brain in Jar that these are unreachable standards and one should read Romans to find peace about the whole business.

Brother Neutron Bomb of Serenity

Location: Where the worm does not die and the fire is never quenched.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:

Source: Mark 9:43-48.

Updated my location...

The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Glad to be of assistance Very Happy

Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was an episode of The Simpsons where Bart is on the couch and says something to the effect of:

Matt Groening wrote:
Ah... The 6 o'clock news. The last place an impressionable young boy can get his fill of sex and violence.

True, though, isn't it? Watch the news tonight and tell me that the first 10 minutes aren't filled with news stories about murder, rape, and robbery.

Steveness
His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

At our age, I think many of us have grown up with video games from the start. I remember playing the Zork trilogy, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Terror in the Ice Caverns, and many others that were purely text-based. Yes, fighting was sometimes a part of these. Later, color monitors came out and I played games like Wolfenstein 3-D and Doom, the original first-person shooters (FPS). Later, Duke Nukem, Quake, Half-Life and many others followed that allowed players to fight each other.

As time went by, the graphics went from text-based to nearly life-like. Maybe because we have grown up with this evolution of games we have realized that they are just games more so than children that begin with the latest life-like FPS games.

Stupid people are weak-minded. They are easily twisted to do what others say and feel pressured to submit to doing what is "cool", which is why they imitate others they see as cool. They see these games as cool, and imitate them as if they were other people. This also happens with TV; many children have been hurt imitating WWF or Jackass. I doubt many of them were intelligent.

I feel that upbringing also has a lot to do with learning to deal with emotions. If a child sees daddy punching holes in the walls when he's angry - I'd bet they will be physical too. Children have always tested the limits of what is acceptable. I have seen weak parents give in to children that make demands and cry until they get what they want. These children don't know boundaries because they were always successful in getting their way.

All of these factors contribute to the problem of violence and basic social problems. Video games are harmless in the hands of people with a firm grip on reality and at least some semblance of intelligence. The only people who have problems with video-game violence had problems long before the game came along. I only hope to see them one day on the Darwin Awards.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic