Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 2005 Tour de France View next topic
View previous topic
levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Any thoughts on Armstrong's attempt at a seventh consecutive Tour de France title?

He's had the lead since the first stage and is still wearing the yellow jersey after eight.
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 8:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I say, kick ass, Lance.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, he didn't gain it until the first team trial; which I think was actually the third or fourth stage. They are just getting into the Pyrenees so the first challenges to his lead won't be coming for a few more days. However, TMobile made a statement today when Andreas Kloden made a run at the stage. He lost by (0.0002 seconds; crazy!)

Needless so say, I've been following this daily on www.letour.fr. You should check out the photo finish for the stage (Stage Cool.

In any event, I don't expect Lance to make any statements for a few more stages. Watch the first two or three mountain stages to see if he does something to give a bit of distance over the group. He's only about a minute ahead of the closest "competitor." I say it that way because his teammate is in second place right now.

If you check the overall standings, the Discovery team holds 5 (I think) of the top 10 spots overall right now.

If you want to see it "in action," check out OLN (Newark Comcast Ch 6Cool at 8:30am every day for live coverage and at 8:30pm for extended coverage and a replay of the stage.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 10:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
Actually, he didn't gain it until the first team trial; which I think was actually the third or fourth stage.

I stand corrected. I've been on holiday all week so I've not had the chance to read the newspaper summaries about the Tour and have only skimmed random Google News headlines. (Of course, I don't actually know if the papers here devote much coverage to the Tour or not.)

The Yellow Dart wrote:
They are just getting into the Pyrenees so the first challenges to his lead won't be coming for a few more days.

They're actually in the Alps now along the German border (well, Stage 8 and 9 actually end and begin in Germany, respectively.) The riders have two rather difficult mountain stages in 11 and 12. I think that could be a good test for Armstrong and his challengers to set the pace.

But it looks like Stages 14-16 is where this Tour will be won -- the Pyrenees, like you said.

And since you mention Kloeden, I don't really expect him to mount a serious challenge to Armstrong. Nor will Ullrich. I think Alexandre Vinokourov and Ivan Basso are the men Armstrong should watch out for.

HyLander42: what i'm surprised is that you haven't been tattoo-inducted into the yakuza with your quick thinking skills that let you get kidnapped at a convenience store after sleeping outside all night
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 12:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree. I was guessing on the mountains and the Alps seem more imposing due to their fame. Should be great to watch until Lance wins a couple of stages for himself, then it's all over.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 2:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't forget that, for the most part, we're talking about the French Alps. Has there ever been anything imposing about the French? Very Happy

HyLander42: what i'm surprised is that you haven't been tattoo-inducted into the yakuza with your quick thinking skills that let you get kidnapped at a convenience store after sleeping outside all night
levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Armstrong finished 29th and dropped to third overall after the ninth stage -- not that he cared, mind you.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 1:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A somewhat unexpected attack from Jens Voigt stole the Yellow from Armstrong. Monday is a rest day, then they hit the mountains for two tough stages. Then I think is either a team of individual time trial.

levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2005 11:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As far as I can see, the next (and final) time trial is Stage 20, just before Paris.

These mountain stages, particularly Stage 10, look gruelling. The finish in the next stage is a brutal 1235m climb over the last 28.5km. Wicked.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 6:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The guy who won Saturday's stage is an ex world-class mountain biker. Keep an eye on him in the mountain stages. The win on this stage has all but cemented his place as winner of the King of the Mountains jersey.

Edit: The stage on Wednesday will be a very important stage, with the Tour's highest ascent and a few consecutive mountain climbs with very little down hill in between. Stages like the one coming up prove why the Tour is one of the most grueling athletic events in the world.

levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
Stages like the one coming up prove why the Tour is one of the most grueling athletic events in the world.

Yup, right after the Curling World Championship. That's exhausting.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

11.5km from the end of today's stage and Armstrong is leading a group (along with his whole Discovery Channel team) ahead of the peloton that is chasing the stage leader. The Yellow Jersey is still in the peloton.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Update: Armstrong and a group of three other riders have broken away from the lead group. They are ahead of the peloton and the Yellow Jersey by 13 minutes with 3.5km to go.

levelhead
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stage just finished with Armstrong in second and reclaiming the yellow jersey. And so it has begun.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic