Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Land of the Dead (no more spoilers than newspaper reviews) View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2005 1:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, this movie really let me down. Romero had briefly touched base on zombie intelligence in Dawn of the Dead (one of the main characters gets zombified and leads the hoard to the other characters) and Day of the Dead (professor Frankenstein, pavlovian conditioning.) This was the centerpiece of the movie. Giving zombies a sense of identity and strategy could have been really cool but Romero blew it. A lot of scenes that could have been great fell flat.

In his previous movies there were only a few main characters. Because of that you cared about them and felt something when one of those characters died. But because there were so many (even a few main zombie characters) you don't really find yourself caring what happens. Furthermore he always made his commentaries on society via what happened amongst that small group of main characters. This time he tried to make a commentary on society by using a whole society. Again, it falls flat.

The last five minutes of the movie are even more mind boggling than the last five minutes of Pirates of the Carribean. And that is a difficult task.

I am anticipating a fifth movie, daycare center of the dead, where its a bunch of zombies playing yatzee.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 4:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://techhouse.us/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3639
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 5:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was high at the time.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I really wouldn't mind except your review thread has more views then my review thread.

But this is as fine a place for elaboration as any-{SPOILERS}

Zombie leads suck. I dealt with it in Day because was one role and well acted, plus in an underground facility their needed to be more individual focus. This movie was called LAND of the dead. but we suffered the shenanagins of the same 4 zombies repeatedly. There really wasn't even a good horde shot.Where was the global perspective? I wanted to see a few overrun cities, the nuclear blast zones, mexican zombies crossing the boarder at "will", maybe glimps DisneyLand of the Dead. Thats the Romero I expected. As you said the zombie evolution thing really fell flat. Instead of a city besieged by 3 million walking dead morning and night. All the zombies decided it was useless and the went back to there dayjobs? The whole human rationale was also way fucked up. lets forget about killing the undead instead lets build a starbucks. Ok I liked the whole ivory tower thing, but it wasn't realistic at all. Money? Why the hell was Hopper trying to steal money? Having a penthouse would be nice, but not so he could gloat over the view, instead it should have been so you dont have to hear the 24hr moaning of the dead. Making the audience side with the zombies was not the right thing to do. And why was there a bullfighter in the army?
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.peldor.com/news/2005_07_08.html

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic