Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 I-Pod vs MP3 Player View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: I-Pod or MP3 Player

I-Pod
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Generic MP3 Player
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 7:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I bought the tape deck bundle, and it only cost $40 for all 4 accessories, which included an iPod car charger. My boss has a nicer one (not sure the price), but it's an fm transmitter that has a cradle for the ipod which is the plugin charger, it's mighty spiffy.

edit:
Quote:
* 1GB player stores up to 32 hours of WMA music or 16 hours of MP3 music

You can even customize music with a 5-band custom equalizer and 4 presets for Jazz, Rock, Pop or Classical music. MuVoŽ TX FM gives you up to 15 hours of continuous music playback on one AAA battery(2).

If you buy this, I'd recommend/hope you will get a rechargable AAA. I find it amusing that it can't play all 16 hours until after a recharge at the most.

Quote:
DJ Your Ride
Take your tunes on the road during those long commutes or spontaneous roadtrips. MuVo connects wirelessly to your car stereo using a Belkin FM Transmitter. Never cut your musical journey short!

ummm, and it looks like you have to buy the same transmitter that the iPod uses. It doesn't come with it.

bjciii wrote:
Creative MuVo TX FM MP3 Player

That's what I've got and I love it. You download songs right into it (as it's a flash-drive) and you can create your playlists in different folders. I think I got it for like $99 at CompUSA about 8-9 months ago. It's not as "pretty" as the iPod, but I think the extra $150-$200 makes it a shitload more attractive if you're just going to use it to jog with or work-out to (as I do). If you want something that does more than that... get better speakers for your computer.

I looked on the compusa website, and all I could find was the 256 for $79.99, did you get the 1GB? They must either only stock it in store, or have screwed up their site. The creative website has it for like $150 though.

I really like some of the features that it shows - that it's a usb stick is nice for one, and that it catches fm radio is kind of spiffy, two (weak pun). The microphone is weird, but could be useful, and the AAA battery could either be hellishly annoying, or really good, depending. Not sure I like the button setup, but then again, it took me a while to get used to my iPod button setup, so I'm sure that's easy enough to solve.

However, I don't know about the rest of you, but I got my 40GB for ~$400, making it $10 a GB. And now for that price you can get the 60GB photo one. At $150 or even at $99, it sounds like the 1GB MuVo, or any other mp3 player is still awfully more expensive overall to me. Just my $0.02

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well, the MuVo uses different memory technology than the iPods, so it's tough to just compare capacity. I have (but haven't used in about two years) the 1st or 2nd gen MuVo (used it for the gym; I do karate now instead) and it got decent battery life. My version didn't have an LED display or a fm tuner or microphone; and it was only 256MB. Also, the software was pretty primitive so you could only play the songs in the order they were added to the player.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
neight
Brother Neutron Bomb of Serenity

Location: Where the worm does not die and the fire is never quenched.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Snouffman wrote:
I read the crap on apple and also on best buy and some other sites, you big douche, and they don't answer my questions. The I-Pod has a hard drive, while the nano and the shuffle (which apparently has total control over which order you listen to your songs in) have memory cards/sticks. Both, however seem to hook up to a usb port to transfer data. So what's the difference? I mean, is it mainly the amount of space? Do I HAVE to use some specfic program to get my MP3s onto the ipods? Can I just download the 400+ songs I have in winamp to my i-pod or do I have to get them from apple on i-tunes? Same thing with generic MP3 players. can i just download mp3s off of my computer or what?

The propaganda pages don't answer all the important questions.

Then perhaps you should have posed those "important" questions in your post, instead of saying "what's the difference between an I-Pod and an I-Pod Nano or I-Pod Shuffle?"

I may be a douche, but I'm a douche who knows that when I ask a stupid question, I'd better not care much about the answers I get.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
Well, the MuVo uses different memory technology than the iPods, so it's tough to just compare capacity.
Well, when I want to store my 32 GB+ of mp3s somewhere, it really isn't that tough of a choice for me. I'd get bored bored bored with only 1GB, and I'm lazy, I don't want to be continuously importing and exporting my music for the day or even week. Too much of a hassle, honestly. I am interested in knowing what MuVo's playback capacities are. My iPod can sort and play by artist, album, genre, song, composer, playlist, and can shuffle by song or album, which gives me almost unlimited possibilities - which I've used. MuVo can do playlist, and what else? Does the shuffle do only playlist/all, or can it be used on parts (like genre/artist/etc.)?

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

From what I've understood, the Shuffle is pretty limited in its playback capabilities. I believe it's only all straight through or shuffle all.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
DanMeltzer
Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:55 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm fairly sure the shuffle's playback capacity sucks.

options that you can control from the shuffle straight from the website - "Play, pause, skip, repeat, shuffle and hold" (also there appear to be volume controls as wel)

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 10:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
From what I've understood, the Shuffle is pretty limited in its playback capabilities. I believe it's only all straight through or shuffle all.

who the f is getting a damn shuffle? And why are you talking about it? I'm talking about your mp3 player's ability to shuffle.

maslow wrote:
I am interested in knowing what MuVo's playback capacities are. {CUT}
MuVo can do playlist, and what else? Does the shuffle do only playlist/all, or can it be used on parts (like genre/artist/etc.)?

if that confused you, well, I don't know what to say. I'm talking about your MuVo.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My bad. Mine didn't have a shuffle capability.

For the record, when others were talking about Matt discussing the iPod Shuffle and then you said, "the shuffle," I made assumptions based on general forum grammar mistakes.

maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I know some people have gotten the shuffle cuz it's cheap, but I dunno, I just don't see it. Sorry about the confusion..

shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 4:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have the MuVo cuz A. I'm cheap, and B. I don't use it much. It doesn't shuffle, and mine only holds 75 songs, but I can scroll thru pretty fast with only those few of songs. If I used it daily, I might have sprung for a real ipod. It's simple to use, comes with a couple of programs- my favorite of which does batch conversions of wmas to mp3s and helps me put together playlists for the built-in mp3 player in my car

Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SanDisk makes several flash memory based MP3 players, ranging up to 1 GB in storage for individual ones, or they have a cheaper unit that allows you to play from any SanDisk memory sticks you have (just plug in a different one). While I don't really see much use in the latter unless you have a buttload of those sticks lying around collecting dust, the option is still there.

These players connect like any USB memory stick (ok they have a cable for you detail oriented folks) and function as another drive on your machine. Drop and drag (or Ctrl-C Ctrl-V it) music (either MP3 or WMA format) to the MP3 player organized just like any other folders. They are also the size of a bloated pack of gum, and fit easily into a pocket. Also has a radio receiver and voice recorder.

Online shops like buy.com frequently have specials on these, and 1 GB units go for around $120.

My Opinion: This is great for people who don't care about massive storage capacity or playlist capabilities. I use Windows Media Player to rip CD's into WMA format (lower quality, taking less space, I barely notice) and have about 18 albums on there
Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

We have an iPod Photo which Sean uses most of the time. We have baby pics on it so we can show them off on a moments notice. I'm actually going to be uploading more here in a few minutes.

As far as mp3's go, I just uploaded my entire mp3 collection (14GB) in one shot. I'm on a modem (pity me) so I'm not expanding my mp3's at all.

suhmann
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Sniff Sniff. I still use Cd's.

Gannondwarf
The Short One

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

one of my friends just dealt with this whole issue... she ended up going with the 20gb iPod... and she runs a few miles at a time and likes the fact that she won't have to stop for batteries at the end of each run... especially since the 15hrs of play time for the MuVo is based on the lowest energy setting... on my iAudio, i only got 4-6hrs per battery change on regular play, loud enough to hear it in the library... so even though you'll pay out the wahzoo upfront for an iPod, you save a bunch on batteries...

if you worry about issues carrying or running with it... you can get a holder for it and just clip it to your belt or whatever... when i go running i hold it in one hand and my id/keys in the other... it's not that much of a problem...

"Is there an indellible line dividing sanity from insanity? Or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We'll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane..." - Vincent Volaju
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2005 6:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, Apple recently reduced their prices on repair parts for iPods. It was in an article in one of the two most recent MaximumPC issues (Sept or Oct).

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic