Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Gogol Bordello View next topic
View previous topic
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

This was a weird ass band that opened up for Cake Saturday night. They have a really wierd sound that is very Eastern European Gypsy mixed with punk. I liked the Eastern European / Gypsy melodies. Unfortunatly, all these were consistantly drowned out in the punk music, but their brand of punk was a little much for my taste (I must be getting older).

Their stage show could best be described as a circus. They have dancing girls who play some percussion at times, an awesome violinist, a wild and crazy front man that sings and plays his accoustic guitar with reckless abandon, an excellent accordian player, and a typical punk guitar, bass and drums. It is quite the spectical.

As for the lyrics, they sound really really communist and have a huge emphasis on a cultural revolution. Many of them have both Russian and English lyrics.

site: http://gogolbordello.com/

Das Thread Killer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 7:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

One of my favorite bands Devotchka opens for Gogol alot, but I have not seen Gogol play yet. They are good from what I've heard on CD though, but Devotchka is amazing.

"All this science, I don't understand. It's just my job 5 days a week"- Elton John
Wolfman
Soulman

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They definitely rocked, not as much as Cake, and much more than Tegan and Sara, but they were cool. Where we (Ed, Tiki, Steveness, and myself) were standing, we actually got to meet one of the *screamers* Pamela, I think. I asked her, where the hell they were from, she said, Thailand, Ukraine, Russian, America, Scotland, and a couple other places. The lead singer also played a metal bucket with drumsticks for a couple of the songs. Neat!

By the way, the 930 club in DC is a pretty awesome place to see a band, it is very similar to the Electric Factory, just no tables on the second level. CAKE rocks!

"Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash." -Bruce Lee
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

A metal bucket with a microphone shoved inside or on top of the mic stand with the mic inside. Pure insanity. And yes, CAKE rocks!

Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to see Cake. Sad

Gannondwarf
The Short One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

cake.

"Is there an indellible line dividing sanity from insanity? Or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We'll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane..." - Vincent Volaju
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic