Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Mandatory HIV testing View next topic
View previous topic
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

link

What do you all think?

I see this as a problem. Why is the government trying to force testing- even on people that couldn't possibly be have it- just to find the ones that do, and what comes after they have on record who and who doesn't have aids. (I know there are the anonymous tests.) I think this falls under invasion of privacy.

The bigger question is: while AIDS is a problem here, why aren't they focussed on Africa where it is a major crisis?

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Primarily AIDS spreads because of idiots who think they can't get it. So many people call it "the fag's disease" while they go out having anonymous, unprotected sex with people of the opposite gender. And yes, some of those people are married.

As for whether we should focus on Africa or the US, that becomes a problem of Self-Interest vs. Idealism. It is reasonable to seek balance between those two concepts. There are also two big African AIDS problems that money will not solve. First, backwards societal factors. Did your husband die? Depending on where you live you have just become his brother's wife. The disease spreads quite a bit because of that and other practices. Second, mistrust. I have read about people over there who feel our efforts to fight AIDS in Africa are actually a secret conspiracy to sterilize their women. If money can not solve these problems, it makes sense to funnel that money into efforts where it can do good. We should not give up on Africa. It is also reasonable to make efforts here in the States.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't disagree on continuuing efforts in the US, but at what point are we going too far? They are talking about testing on 13-64 yr olds. Better, I think, to focus on continued aids awareness than a less than cost effective tactic of blanket testing. While certainly stupid idiots could stand to be tested, should a 13 yr old girl whose never done drugs, had sex, or even kissed a boy be sent for testing?

And then where do you stop. One of the doctors main arguments was to diagnose early and get treatment to the patients. So should we mandate that everone receive PET scans, mammograms, colonoscopies, etc for the benefit of the patient (I realize aids is a bit different since it can be transmitted).

I just think that medical testing should be up to your doctor and your own discretion.

As for Africa- it just seems that Africa would be a better place to implement blanket testing, given the level of the crisis. Just throwing money at it certainly isn't the only answer- and never is (ie Katrina, the tsunami, etc- where organization and planning were needed just as much as money). And I agree that fundamental changes have to be made in the cultures and societies over there for Americans to continue helping.

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:19 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I love my privacy. I think it is one of the most important things I can have. I would support blanket testing. Here is why. There are people out there with HIV and don't care about who they infect or what they do. Even with condoms HIV can still be transmitted. This is a virus that kills people not because they failed to go to the doctor, but because someone gave it to them, through sex or blood transfustions or needles. Their failing is being scared to face what could be to them a death sentence, even though with todays treatments many people live happy long healthy lives. I have had a HIV test and will again. It is my responiblity not to put other people's lives at risk just because I am afraid. While I will never be the person standing at the front going "MAKE EVERYONE ALL TAKE IT" I can see why it is a good idea. However, only if people really sit down and figure out how to help people in the aftermath and to protect their privacy. I wouldn't want this to be something on the internet that anyone can look up names, but if I did later get tested and found to be positive and the person i was with was on the list, and knew they had it and didn't inform me, then I think they should be punished. It is the people who know and do nothing and those too afraid to find out I have a problem with.

The Short One

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 5:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

shate98 wrote:
Why is the government trying to force testing- even on people that couldn't possibly be have it- just to find the ones that do

anyone can get it... someone you're around cuts themselves and you help them without putting gloves on and you just happen to have a papercut... or there's a car accident and you need to give CPR to a guy who's all cut up and bleeding everywhere and you don't have one of those barrier mask do-hickies but you have a cut in or around your mouth... you're a nurse or doctor and end up with a needle stick...

i'm not saying that i support mandatory testing for everyone - in fact i'm very conflicted about it - but i am saying that it is possible for anyone whether they're virginal, celibate, monogamous, drug-free, or none of the above to get hiv/aids...

i personally support education on the topic... on all topics... ignorance doesn't help anyone... just look at abstinence-only sex ed... that's worked oh-so-well... even my hard-core catholic friends think that abstinence-only sex ed is counter-productive... if you're going to put more money into something, put it into education... honestly, when was the last time you saw a public service announcement about hiv/aids?

"Is there an indellible line dividing sanity from insanity? Or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We'll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane..." - Vincent Volaju
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic