Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Design your own game: XNA View next topic
View previous topic
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 8:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is mostly for Uty, who has been trying to develop a "portfolio" for his gaming degree/school.

MaximumPC wrote:
Merely getting the tools to build your first game -- whether it's a bleeding-edge first-person shooter or an addictive puzzle fest -- costs a bundle. Even the most basic version of Microsoft's Visual Studio retails for $300, and that's cheap compared to Photoshop and Maya.

Enter Mcrosoft's new XNA platform. In an effort to boost interest in Computer Science degrees, as well as lure fresh blood into the gaming industry, Microsoft is releasing its game-programming start kit -- dubbed XNA Game Studio Express -- free to the general public. Express will come with everything you need to write your own games, compile them, and run them on a PC or an Xbox 360. The beta will be available at www.microsoft.com on August 30.

Not sure if it's useful, but it's worth a shot.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 12:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually, XNA has invalidated my need for grad school. You see, the big selling point for FIEA was the fact that they had XBox devel kits. Now I have one on my PC. Smile

My current plans, for what it's worth, are to create a NWN2 module. I think creating a game with a sophisticated tool would serve as a good primer for real game development. From there I plan on fooling around with XNA.

Around December they'll be releasing some kind of new XBox Live! subscription for developers. It allows you to get your code on the XBox. So around then I'll probably pick up the console and play around with the code.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 7:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I take it you preordered so that you could get the toolset for NWN2?

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2006 11:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yup, the toolset is on my box. I haven't had time to go through the packaged tutorials yet though. It is a really neat toolset.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic