Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Music & Lyrics View next topic
View previous topic
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Music & Lyrics

Julie, Miles, Adam and I saw this movie on Saturday, and it was very nice. It's a bit of predictable fluff, but it has fabulously funny lines. The beginning was a bit bumpy and not the best - Drew Barrymore's is Hugh Grant's replacement "plant waterer", and his agent's making fun of that doesn't cover the fact that it's one of the stupidest ideas I've ever heard. Once it gets rolling, though, it felt much smoother overall, though the whole Sally Michaels book thing felt a bit contrived. Hugh Grant seems to make fun of both how he's perceived as the character and as Hugh Grant at the same time, while simultaneously making you feel as if you're sharing the joke with him. Drew Barrymore is a quirky but cute "lost-at-sea" heroine - so pretty much they play their typical parts. There's nothing fabulously mind bending in this movie, but other than the snags mentioned above, it's very cute. The dance moves that Hugh Grant's character does, as well as playing DDR with the kids is funny in and of itself, along with a lot of the lines about tight pants. I recommend seeing it for a laugh - if nothing else, the beginning sequence, with it's terribly good parody of 80s pop videos is worth it. Plus, the guys will like the teen idol/pop star's writhing around in pretty much nothing but bits of clothes glued (probably literally) to her body.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0758766/
(IMDB seems to have revamped it's site. It's weirding me out).

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Chris and I loved it. We thought it was definitely a step up from the standard date movie fare.

I had fewer issues with the plant lady only because I've been one. Never for someone not vacationing at the time, but I guess if he's on the road a lot doing state fairs, etc it's possible just to have a standard plant person.

It was very predictable at times, but I thought that the dialogue was so funny that it made up for it.

Definitely worth seeing- and if you live in Baltimore see it tonight or tomorrow at the Senator before they close her doors for good. Sniffle. www.senator.com

Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Allright, but who's going to be my date? Anyone?

DanMeltzer
Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tigger wrote:

I nominate Brian. We've all caught him checking you out...

Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 10:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tigger wrote:

Don't you have two of the cutest boys on the planet around to take you out? Wink

Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Shar, I think they are a bit young for the movies. Unless it's Winnie the Pooh. For the 2903823590872393427349845043rd time.

Brian's been checkin' me out? That would explain why he jumped in the tub naked with the boys the other night...

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nah, that's just cause I like to be one with nature and free like the wind. Wheeeeeee!

shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tigger wrote:
Shar, I think they are a bit young for the movies. Unless it's Winnie the Pooh. For the 2903823590872393427349845043rd time.

Yeah, I know they're not a good date to the movies, but you do have a monopoly on some of the cutest boys around.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 4:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I forgot to mention Kristen Johnston was awesome as Drew's sister! I love her so much, she's such a great actress, but totally underutilized - probably because she's so freaking tall and commanding. She takes over pretty much every scene she's in, and doesn't even try. Ohhhh that woman is awesome.

And Tig, I'd see it again with you! It was so much fun. And THAT, my friends, is unheard of -
me seeing a movie TWICE? When most of the time you can't drag me there unless I'm in irons, and even then, I get fidgety? Much less making me see one on DVD/at home? Yeah, you can tell I liked this flick Smile

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2007 8:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

maslow wrote:
I forgot to mention Kristen Johnston was awesome as Drew's sister! I love her so much, she's such a great actress, but totally underutilized - probably because she's so freaking tall and commanding. She takes over pretty much every scene she's in, and doesn't even try. Ohhhh that woman is awesome.

Kristen Johnston doesn't dominate the stage when she shares it with Oliver Platt, Jimmy Smits, and Julia Stiles. Shakespeare in the Park about 5 years ago. I'll open a new thread for this. The combination of Johnston and Platt is fantastic.

maslow wrote:
And Tig, I'd see it again with you! It was so much fun. And THAT, my friends, is unheard of -
me seeing a movie TWICE? When most of the time you can't drag me there unless I'm in irons, and even then, I get fidgety? Much less making me see one on DVD/at home? Yeah, you can tell I liked this flick Smile

Don't beat around the bush. Just spit it out. What are you trying to say?!
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:34 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Maz is right. This movie is good enough to see twice. TH event?

Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 1:04 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i'd see it but i have no idea when, my next month seems to be swamped.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic