Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 A little idea View next topic
View previous topic
fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok so I am thinking I am not a fan of this "work for others" way of life. Has anyone started their own business? Also would any of you (my little test group) use someone like me for your taxes and/or bookkeeping. Also how much would you pay them an hour? This is just an idea I have been kicking around for a while.

Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i have my own business. u wanna talk to me about anything let me know.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I told ya Fiee, My idea doesn't require much in the way of startup costs!! A web-cam or 2, a domain name and host, and off you go!

Don't ever say I didn't try to help.

Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 8:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a friend who does taxes as an on the side kind of thing, she is a CPA, she charges $50 per w-2/return. She does a lot of her 'business' through word of mouth, friends, etc if that helps.

Otherwise, I got nuthin. :p

fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:54 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bjciii wrote:
I told ya Fiee, My idea doesn't require much in the way of startup costs!! A web-cam or 2, a domain name and host, and off you go!

Don't ever say I didn't try to help.

I told you my answer on that Evil or Very Mad

Thanks E and Tig. I think I am mainly afraid of trying to find clients is all. I need to do alot of prep work before I go into this. Gotta mortgage to think about. It is insane doing this job for someone else. Yesterday I did a tax return for a girl and it took me 8 mins. For that she is going to be charged 125 bucks.

300 clients at 125 each (that is not even counting the ones that go over an hour) is 37500, ALOT more than I make!!!!!!!!!!! I know I have one paying client that is mine. all I need now is 299 more!

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've thought about starting a business. Making and selling games! Which in reality would amount to "eat Ramen and bitch about seg faults." Anyway, if I started an operation like this, I would use your operation to do all my tax goodness.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well get off you ass and get started, I need accounting and bookkeeping clients!!!!!!!!!!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 am Reply with quoteBack to top

OK I am now sure I am going to try this. I have just outgrown my current job and there is no challange anymore. Plus why should I help them make over 40K a year and not even be making 30 myself. I'd rather make 20 and it be all mine. Anyone know of someone who needs a bookkeeper or tax accountant let me know! Great Discounts lol

F

Mistress E

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i recomend taking a year to slowly transition and see if it works.

have business cards made, start picking up clients. do their returns at night or on the weekends around you current job. advertise your job. be sure to give clients multiple business cards so they can tell others about you. have coupons made up for clients. 10% off if you refer another client.

you don't have to stop your job totally and put yourself in financial danger.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yes that is a great idea, except for the little thing call non-competative agreements that are standard in my line of work. The second I advertise and accept a client I could be sued. Therefore I am taking this time to get assembled and look for a nice part time job to tide me over while i get started.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 11:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How exactly does your NCA work? Does it keep you from going to local small businesses where you live and soliciting them on your own? I can see that they won't let you try to get your own business from clients they bring in, but can they sue you if you go to the local UPS Store (just for example) and asking them if they need a bookeeper, or leaving business cards there?

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Have you thought about what you would do when tax season is over?

If you're going to do it this year, I would think you might want to do it sooner rather than later, or wait until Dec/Jan.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
How exactly does your NCA work? Does it keep you from going to local small businesses where you live and soliciting them on your own? I can see that they won't let you try to get your own business from clients they bring in, but can they sue you if you go to the local UPS Store (just for example) and asking them if they need a bookeeper, or leaving business cards there?

It works in a really easy way. I cannot do anyones books outside of my firm. If i leave i cannot work for any of their current clients for 1 yr in the function of a bookkeeper.

Oh yep, I know there is no way I can seriously leave the job for a number of months. However it takes a few months at least to get going and organized. Plus there is no way I am letting them keep my vacation lol. No I am mainly just putting the foundation together for when I do go out on my own, more than likely sometime in the summer. Unless I can find a part time bookkeeping or admin gig for a temp time.

Also when most people are thinking of switching bookkeepers it is around that time, mainly if you hear of anyone thinking on it let me know. It normally takes them months to actually leave if they do.

This isn't something I am doing lightly. But really I am sickened to work for others. i don't think i was ever meant too. Comes from having run the family business when I was just a teenager (and i know you might think that is exaggerating but when dad died i was the only one who could)

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic