Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Forfeit the right to bear arms? View next topic
View previous topic
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I recently read an article and heard on the tv people talking about repealing our right to bear arms (in light of recent events). I was wondering what other people thought about this. Me personally, I'm not a fan of guns, but I don't think banning them makes us safer- criminals can still get illegal guns, and if someone wants to kill people, they can find other methods of doing so. thoughts?

Brute Squad

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 12:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I can see the hippies now screaming for a repeal of our bill of rights. Personally, I own firearms, I enjoy shooting targets and feel alot safer with them around. The problem is not that people can buy guns, the problem is that gun control is a joke. I firmly believe every American has the right to bear arms, but I don't see why people need automatic weapons for home protection and sport. The NRA has gotten out of control, somewhat justified. They as an assoc. feel that everytime a gun control case wins, the slippery slope is on the way...I have to say I agree. People in this country are so far out of control it's on the point of insanity.
It amuses me to no end that the virginia tech killer gets national attention to lax ammunition control laws and gun regulation, but yet every day some gangbanger 14 year old shoots another 14 year old, and no one cares. The people who clamour for gun control laws, really only care becuase educated mostly white people died in this tragedy. On the flip side, these same people are some of the most uneducated people I have ever seen speak in public. They are ignorant and illinformed of what the laws actually are. They have no idea what police procedures actually are, nor do they care to find out. They are given to flights of fancy that X is the solution when all X does is affect the innocent people.

Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In all honesty, I don't own guns and I can't see myself getting one until something drastic happens a little closer to where I lay my head. That being said, however, I don't think anyone should repeal our right to bear arms. Sure, things are a little different than they were 220 years ago, but the idea remains the same: We, as a people, have the right to protect ourselves, our homes, and our families as we see fit.

I also agree, however, that being able to have fully automatic weapons as home defense is the age-old warning of trying to kill the mosquito with a cannon: Overkill.

My students debated the Virginia Tech massacre last week in class and there was an overwhelming feeling of "If the kid wanted guns, he was gonna find them regardless of what laws were in place."

I think that our gun control laws need to be looked at and modified where necessary, but I don't think they should ban them altogether.

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah basically what you said. except i really really doubt i will ever own a gun.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't own a gun and I'm fairly sure that will never change. I also hope the right to bear arms never changes. I don't want to make choices for other people in persuit of the greater good - that's an act of hubris, and ultimately it erodes democracy.

Over the course of last week I thought about UD's no gun policy. I came to two conclusions. First of all, a piece of legislation is not going to stop a crazy mother fucker from acting out. Someone who really wants to kill as many as he can before he goes out "in a blaze of glory" will find a way to do it, just like three fifteen year old boys marooned on Mars will find a way to look at titties. Do not underestimate human ingenuity. Second, the best defence against a crazy gun owner is a dozen sane gun owners. As it stands now the average gun owner is a sane, rational, responsible sort and the fastest way to change that is to take away their firearms.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

There was a shooting last year at a college and the gunman only killed a few people because bystanders had weapons nearby in their cars and took down the gunman before he did more damage.

Mother Superior

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Penn and Teller did a really funny bit on the 2nd amendment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWeTEXSV7ts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po8ywLD3f-k
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psEjU550xmw&NR=1

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic