Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 New Engineering job availability View next topic
View previous topic
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My coworker has announced that he is leaving for another job, so we have an opening for a Mechanical or Chemical Engineer. The job involves support and life-cycle management of Oxygen generating equipment on submarines.

There is mandatory travel right now for about 60 days out of the year (mostly to submarine bases). THIS REQUIRES SECRET-LEVEL SECURITY CLEARANCE.

If you know someone who may be interested, please let me know either on here or at

ud1278(at)yahoo(DOT)com

---------
The job is on the GS (government) payscale, and depending on experience, can begin anywhere between GS-7 and GS-12 (pay rates are at www.fedweek.com; I can give a specific salary schedule on Fedweek if someone needs it).

Some of the job duties include: writing, updating, and releasing maintenance procedures and technical literature; developing training materials and subject matter; contracting and budgeting; some other facets of project management; government oversight of contractor work on removing, installing, and testing Oxygen generating equipment.

It's a lot of work, but there are some nice benefits. There is contribution matching into a 401(k) program (http://www.tsp.gov), a Flexible Spending Account is available, and very decent medical insurance. Time off per year depends on time with the government (note: enlisted time counts for seniority), but there are ample opportunities to work extra to gain compensatory time.

Any other questions, feel free to ask.
-----------

My coworker announced he is leaving just as we are gearing up for a month full of travel. Needless to say, I'm not amused.....

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

How does one get security clearance?

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
jewles
Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Generally jobs that require it can wait for you to get it after your hired but they like it if you already have it because it saves them time and money. They also mention it because it requires that you are a US citizen and don't mind the background checks.
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It requires a full background check, and they do a fairly thorough job. To give you an idea, you have to fill out a package for the clearance. One area they have you fill out completely is your job history:

List all employment you've had for the past 10 years. Explain all periods of unemployment; and give a reference for each unemployment period.

I do not remember if I had to take a drug test. I don't think so. I've never been asked to take one since.

On a side note, I had an interim clearance for 4 years while working here. My coworker, who was born in Czechoslovakia, had his full clearance before me; even though I started work 2 years before him. An interim clearance can get you access to all the work you need to do for this job.

Edit: A friend in a GS job for the Army said that the FBI interviewed his neighbors for the background check. That didn't happen to me; and none of my family got any phone calls (to my knowledge). Just want to give an idea of the scope of the check.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks. While I'm not going after this job, I am interested in moving to DC at some point. My skillset + that location = security clearance in many cases.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, generally it's not a huge deal. Depends on the specific agency and the nature of the material you'll be dealing with.

Keep in mind that, just like passports, it's taking longer now to get the checks done, thanks to increased security. Wherever you work, though, will make sure that you have the clearance/permission necessary to get your work done.

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Its also taking longer to get the checks done because there for soem reason less people available to process them. I heard that retired employees were being hired as consultants to help process passport applications.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic