Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Interviewing View next topic
View previous topic
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So after a year of working for an Ad Agency where IT mgmt is "misguided" I applied for a job a another business unit within the corporation. If I get the job I'll move from a position where I support about 3200 people to about 32,000.

My interview was on Thursday afternoon. A 4 on 1 panel interview. Though to be fair it wasn't bad at all. I already know the manager from a project we are both working on and one of his subordinates from another project. This new position would mean working for people that more interested in building the right solution instead of the just cheapeast solution. It would mean that I am a member of a team that can fill in the gaps and take over when necessary because everyone has the right skill set so I wouldn't have to go it alone or carry the team along with me.

Transferring within the corporation would probalby be cheaper for them and the fact that they have seen my work helps but there is no guarantee and other people are being interviewed. I should find out within the next few weeks if they are offering the position to me. If I don't get it I'll stay where I am long enough to finish a major project and then probably look elsewhere.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Awesome and good luck! BTW, if you guys do any kind of messaging over app servers that need to be tested, call me Wink Our product helps design and run SOA type tests over tibco, jms, MQ, http, ftp and ejbs soon.

www.solsticesoftware.com

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 6:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

TLA overload! I had to lookup a definition for SOA, JMS, EJBS, and TIBCO. To me SOA means Start of Authority not Service Oriented Architecture. As far as I know our developers use the built in message sending mechanisms and mgmt doesn't like to spend $$$$.

Oh, in case anyone wonders what I do, I design and manage email systems. Specifically Microsoft Exchange, Blackberry, Anti-spam, mail archiving, instant messaging. I used to also design and manage Active Directory and if I get this job will be doing a lot of AD work again.

Mother Superior

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 5:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:
I used to also design and manage Active Directory and if I get this job will be doing a lot of AD work again.

Better you than me Smile LDAP can suckit
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 7:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

LDAP strings aren't bad. Besides there are tools to help build them. That's easier for me than pouring through hundreds or thousands of lines of code. Regardless of where I work I want to take a good class on scripting using ADSI and WMI so that the tedious, repetitious aspects of my job can be shortened and more reliable. Any recommendations? There don't seem to be many good AD/Exchange scripting classes out there.

Certified Geek

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Later Friday afternoon I got the job offer which includes a 4.4% pay raise. There has been an indirect counter offer with a promise of a possible nonspecific raise and a bunch of other terms such as, "work independendently, a leadership role, a reorganization." Sounds good huh? I've been analyzing the situation almost til I'm blue in the face. Money won't make me happy if I'm paid to work in an unhealthy environment no matter what my title or resume builder may become. Feels like too little, too late and the counter-offer should be made to my face by the CIO.

So on Monday I think I'll accept the job transfer. It isn't my problem if this screws over my current employer. I just can't think of powerful reasons to stay and more upside to going.

Certified Geek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I accepted the job offer today.

After speaking with the CIO I feel better about this decision because nothing he was offering was equal to or better than the experience I believe I'll have at the new agency. I'm officially excited now that the political stuff is over and done with. My transition date is hopefully going to be 4 weeks from now on July 9th.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats and good luck! I'll buy you a beer and/or a bagel sometime.

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

good luck! where's the new office gonna be?

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The new office is at 285 Madison Ave (between 40th and 41st St). My last day at Grey will be on Friday July 6th and I'll start at CMT (not country music) on Monday July 9th. They will honor my seniority, my vacation time, etc. I hope I'll still get to take vacation when I wanted to later this year. Now all that left to do is get the official offer letter and hand in a written resignation. (I'm also resigned to letting my current managers self destruct).

Thanks Bri. I think I actually get free bagels on Friday mornings from one of the businesses I'll be supporting.

Certified Geek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I'm so happy 'cause today I've found my friends.... yeah

Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

2.5 months into the new job and I am still really enjoying it and kinda look forward to going to work. Most of the time I even manage to leave the office at normal hours. Adn the team I'm part of is great.

So yesterday I get a phone call from my subordinate at the last agency. He tells me that the disaster recovery work I did was excellent as it actually worked when they needed it. Nice pat on the back. But the BIG NEWS is that my old boss who was out on maternity leave since July 9th resigned. She will stay home to be a full time mom. I'll bet people in the old office did the dance of joy. Her replacement is the guy who used to report to her, was the senior tech in the group but quit to go work at Merrill Lynch in their technology testing lab. AND the replacement gets a title of VP instead of just Director. The other Directors also got title boosts.

Would I have been offered the job had I stayed? Maybe. But I'm still happier where I am. The money would have been nice but I'm pretty convinced that all the crap I'd have had to deal with reporting to the Global CIO wouldn't have been worth the trouble.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic