Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Interesting article on the value of a CS degree View next topic
View previous topic
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://weblog.raganwald.com/2008/01/no-disrespect.html
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:02 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

He wants to hire a clerk, someone who will work long hours doing as they’re told in a top-down, hierarchal command structure. Does that job sound like there is any Science involved? Of course not, everyone knows that

I know a guy who worked at DuPont as a chemical engineer and basically that's how the job was.

You are describing a vocational job to me. The rote application of practical principles is nothing more and nothing less. How is what you’re describing any different than a job as an accounts receivable clerk or a dental technician? Or a land surveyor? Or a architectural draftsperson?

The rote application of practical principals is what ensures the print client installed in an XRay printer will work seamlessly with other products created by other vendors. When people deviate from the practical principals, at least in my industry, the result is mass produced fifty thousand dollar paperweights. There is a huge disconnect between academia and business, as evidenced by a contact who is a) a genius professor who earned his first PhD before he could legally drink and b) hopelessly unable to write orthogonal software.

I don't have a problem with this author, however, because I agree with him that I am a clerk. (Using his definition of the term.) I disagree with his derision of clerks. Without clerks to lay cable, manufacture computers, and maintain server closets none of us could have read the article. I would suggest his sentiment to the entitlement culture, people who honestly expect 60K and a corner office right out of college.

(I do wonder if this humble clerk's code will help doctors make life or death decisions for the author in the far future.)

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 6:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:

I don't have a problem with this author, however, because I agree with him that I am a clerk. (Using his definition of the term.) I disagree with his derision of clerks. Without clerks to lay cable, manufacture computers, and maintain server closets none of us could have read the article. I would suggest his sentiment to the entitlement culture, people who honestly expect 60K and a corner office right out of college.

See, he isn't derisive of 'clerks' in general, just the ones with delusions of grandeur.

I really think we would all be better off if CISC were just a concentration you picked for your math degree. That said, the older I get the happier I am that at UD the courses tended more toward the theory side than the practical. I know the few "practical" courses I took were a disaster. Well except 475 with Walt Leipold (475 with Saydam though... *shudder*).
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 12:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Practical courses? Should've taken my version of CISC 458 and 250 Wink

You didn’t write any papers, did you? The one thing that is really, really useful for getting ahead in business is learning to write, learning to speak, learning to persuade. If a Computer Science degree was really meant to give you an advantage in a business environment, it would involve a lot more writing English than writing Java. You would know that if you went on to get an MBA.

I'm over halfway done my MBA, that part is definitely true (at least once you starting getting into managerial roles and higher). It's not so much about about the material as it is about molding the person into someone who can communicate and network well, as well as persuade when need be. There's a commercial on the radio for a vocational school for some IT program, saying "how does learning Shakespeare help me build a computer system" (or whatever the technical part was). It's definitely true, but anyone can also argue the other side that the one that studied other areas in college (as well as the social networking) has the more rounded overall skills and might on average have the better chance of moving up in the company (if that's what you want). What is most shocking of all is that I actually made a post on this site, I hope no one reads it.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Might actually be the most useful and thoughtful post you've ever made!

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Must have misinterpreted the column's tone, Rob.

It's not so much about about the material as it is about molding the person into someone who can communicate and network well, as well as persuade when need be.

I've been on a few projects where something goes wrong and each organization points the finger at each other ... so you're basically learning how to herd cats in a straight line, eh?

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I would have been sitting around calculating compound forces on a loaded bar as a mechanical engineer, I would have killed myself by now.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic