Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 SWEET MOTHER OF GOD......... View next topic
View previous topic
ethyachk
Resident Karateka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not too surprisingly, no matter what windows manager you mention, someone immediately tells you that it sucks. Gnome is what RedHat chooses all by itself, which is why I mentioned it. I place no particular like with Gnome, but I will say that when I first tried KDE I gave up and went back to Gnome, because KDE hates me.

Resident Karateka

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

On that note, recently apache was giving me a bit of trouble, so I went to a forum looking for help with apache on redhat. One of the suggestions I was given was "Redhat sucks, install BSD." Wow, thanks a lot fuckface. I ask for Redhat help, and not only do you deny me help, but you also insult the OS I'm using. I'm sure going to listen to you, asshole.

The moral of todays story is: if someone asks you for help, either help him or shut the fuck up.

Sexual Educator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

but come on, don't you love people that offer absolutly no help when that's all you want?

like going to the store and asking someone what something is made of or where it's located and they reply with some stupid thought like 'i dunno' or 'i'm off now' or something else.

Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
(KDE is way cooler than Gnome.)

I disagree. Then again I use Ximian Gnome. Which is an infinitely better version of Gnome.

>^_@< ~/-\
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If all / a majority of the criteria of my list has been satisfied, then the next logical step is marketing / branding. Most of these companies have been associated with the dot-com crash, so they need to clean up their name, get a manufacturer to start selling their platform (as a desktop option) and marketing it with tech support (ie Gateway, Dell, Compaq). Granted Linux will no longer be completely free under these situations, but less expensive no doubt.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gabesilver wrote:
Uty wrote:
(KDE is way cooler than Gnome.)

I disagree. Then again I use Ximian Gnome. Which is an infinitely better version of Gnome.

I'll have to check out this Ximian Gnome.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:
If all / a majority of the criteria of my list has been satisfied, then the next logical step is marketing / branding. Most of these companies have been associated with the dot-com crash, so they need to clean up their name, get a manufacturer to start selling their platform (as a desktop option) and marketing it with tech support (ie Gateway, Dell, Compaq). Granted Linux will no longer be completely free under these situations, but less expensive no doubt.

This is pretty much what Sun intends to do with its Sun Java Desktop (or something like that) operating system. Although I'm pretty sure it's more Unix than Linux.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I basically have it configured so that I only have to touch a mouse about 0.5% of the time.

>^_@< ~/-\
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 1:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Andrew's Mouse wrote:
I'm soooo lonely! *squeek*

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 2:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

TWM > all other window managers

Nadrogue
I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:

I shutter to think how much linux's reputation would be tarnished after Dell, Gateway or esp. Compaq got their hand in it. Talk about some shitty computers.

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Those companies aren't really bad companies. They offer affordable solutions to the average consumer, whom doesn't have the skills or desire to upgrade his computer anyway. *Hides his Dell*

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 4:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a Dell Server. They do good work. With the price of hardware these days being dirt, its better to have someone else build it and then configure the software yourself. That way you know everything's compatible, and it works for your specialized needs.

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 5:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nadrogue wrote:
With this forum, I don't have time for others. Kinda like a really demanding female... Lots of bitchyness and not enough sex in return.

That was why I didn't join another one at first. Put I stumbled upon it, and it sucked me in with a it's holding me down with a firm hand. Kinda nice Wink lol. Anyway.. the other one is huuuuuuuuge, so when I'm about half-way done getting through it... I'm out of free time.

chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2003 6:06 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

All leaving us for another forum. Some women are just suckers for gigantism, I guess.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic