Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 New Dream Theater CD - "Train of Thought" - A Revi View next topic
View previous topic
Jefferys
Just Lurking

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 1:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I have in my grubby protuberances the new Dream Theater CD and it is in a word...CRAP!

Aside from bits of the opening track and some minor parts of the last two songs, it's exceedingly dreadful. Musically and lyrically, It's the worst drek I've ever heard in my life (and this coming from the ultimate prog rock fan). Granted, lyrics were never DT's strong point (aside from when Kevin Moore was still in the band), but this is worse than some parts of the total wankfest I get when I see them live (and I've ever done so once during the Metropolis 2000 tour).

Obviously, all the good bits from the previous release, "Six Degrees of Inner Separation" are completely conspicuous by their absence and much of the stolen inspiration from other bands is just what it is...stolen lock, stock, and whole lot of barrels of monekys (the monkeys are a lot more fun than this, by the way).

So, all in all, what respect I had in the band before has all but fizzled away in the prospect that this would have been something at least good to listen to. Oh, and this does confirm my suspicions that Jordan Rudess is a full-fledged graduate of the Rick Wakeman School of Wanking and Cheese. Oh, how I miss the days when Derek Sherinan was in the band...

My score for this album is a rather dismal 4/10 for some good licks here and there, but hey, what "homage" to nu-metal there is on here is poorly done to my tastes.

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 2:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dream Theater gone bad??? and people wonder what makes me cry

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 3:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Presenting, for those wondering, a list of things that make Al cry

Dismemberment
Spilled milk
The color blue
Achieving orgasm
Admitting he went to college in Delaware

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

pomenti wrote:

For Dream Theater to "go bad", one would imply that they were good at one point- which is clearly not the case. They have to be one of the cheesiest bands ever. If you want real metal this is not where to look- check out the oldies like Anthrax, old Metallica or Pantera, or some current bands like Black Label Society, In Flames, or the new Anthrax (which rocks balls). If you want cheeze metal- try checking out the last Iron Maden album.

Dream Theater is metal for pussies.

My apologies
are forever lost
soon to ashes in a flash of light.- Offspring (Lightning Rod)
JasonT
Supreme Overlord of Bitchassery

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2003 8:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think Dream Theater associates themselves with heavy metal.

reworking portfolio...
el loser
Sexual Educator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 7:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Strife wrote:
pomenti wrote:

For Dream Theater to "go bad", one would imply that they were good at one point- which is clearly not the case. They have to be one of the cheesiest bands ever. If you want real metal this is not where to look- check out the oldies like Anthrax, old Metallica or Pantera, or some current bands like Black Label Society, In Flames, or the new Anthrax (which rocks balls). If you want cheeze metal- try checking out the last Iron Maden album.

Dream Theater is metal for pussies.

not to be mean, but do you know who dream theater is?

The Flogger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes I know who Dream Theater is- i heard the new album Jeffreys is talking about and I have heard some of their older shit- I never said they were "heavy metal" they are concidered "progressive" rock, which is about the gayest thing ever- but listen to their style of playing and the arrangment of the music- its metal, or at least an attempt at it.

My apologies
are forever lost
Fearsome Anna
Bad Kitty Kitty!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ooo! oo! i know who they are!

they're awful. i'd rather poke my eardrums out with blunt objects than listen to them. I have to agree with Jordon on the arrangement of the music, it sounds like a cover band trying to do metallica, badly. I'd rather listen to anthrax or pantera any day of the week.

And progressive rock, in my opinion, means "people with any sort of musical bent will hate it."

I've heard my cat's ass make more musically pleasing sounds than any progressive rock band, Dream Theater included.

Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 10:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont think they sound like metallica at all- I was lookin around one of their web sights and I think their new guitarist is the guy from Mr. Big.
On a different note- does someone have duct tape so i can silence anna's cat's ass?
Musically- Dream Theater isnt too far off from bands like Journey.

My apologies
are forever lost
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ummm, yeah, Dream Theater is so not a heavy metal band and never claimed to be. They are mostly categorized as Progressive rock. Just cause some of their songs have a heavy song doesnt mean you can classify them as heavy metal. Their attitude as a band is almost the opposite of that of a heavy metal band. Musically however they are one of the best talented bands out there, 5 graduates of berkley to be exact. You don't have to like the music to appreciate it's complexity. For example one might not like classical music but you at least might not deny that Beethoven or Chopin were talented. The lead guitarist is so good that 'Flight of the Bumblebee' was TOO SLOW for him so he wrote a faster and more complex piece called 'flight of the misquito'. Also these guys use odd time signatures like 7/8 or 12/7 as much as the standard 4/4 and make it seem like child's play. I went to their concert and they did a medley of some of their songs and played for 35 mins straight perfectly intertwining each one. Unfortunately Dream Theater's music is not popular, else more people would argue their case and pay attention to the details of their musical talent. Heavy metal? certainly not. Kick Ass? Hellz yah IMO.

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

additional: the lead singer of Dream Theater sucks ass. Use the duct tape on him and let the band be instrumental.

Bad Kitty Kitty!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maybe its the lead singer thats been keepin me from appreciating dream theater at all - it's kind of hard to get past that when you listen to them, you know. definitely use that duct tape!

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i listened to some dream theatre in the car with al. when i heard their older stuff (other lead singer) i liked it. their new stuff wasn't good cause i kept focusing on how much i didn't like this new lead singer (he sux)

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 11:58 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pomenti wrote:
Ummm, yeah, Dream Theater is so not a heavy metal band and never claimed to be. They are mostly categorized as Progressive rock. Just cause some of their songs have a heavy song doesnt mean you can classify them as heavy metal. Their attitude as a band is almost the opposite of that of a heavy metal band. Musically however they are one of the best talented bands out there, 5 graduates of berkley to be exact. You don't have to like the music to appreciate it's complexity. For example one might not like classical music but you at least might not deny that Beethoven or Chopin were talented. The lead guitarist is so good that 'Flight of the Bumblebee' was TOO SLOW for him so he wrote a faster and more complex piece called 'flight of the misquito'. Also these guys use odd time signatures like 7/8 or 12/7 as much as the standard 4/4 and make it seem like child's play. I went to their concert and they did a medley of some of their songs and played for 35 mins straight perfectly intertwining each one. Unfortunately Dream Theater's music is not popular, else more people would argue their case and pay attention to the details of their musical talent. Heavy metal? certainly not. Kick Ass? Hellz yah IMO.

I never said they wernt talented, they may write stuff using weird time signatures but the shit they end up writing sounds weird, but far from original. The guitarest may be able to play that fast, but it isnt incorperated in any of the music, Steve Vai, who is just as cheezy, plays much faster and much more complex arrangments. Flight of the Bumble Bee would be hard for any half decent guitarest to play. It was written for violins and violas, not guitars, speed wise to be able to play that, you would still have to go a little slower then the guitar intro to AC/DC's Thunderstruck. And reread a little- i said they wernt heavy metal.

Original? Certainly not. Musical equivalent to Journey on speed? Hellz yah.

My apologies
are forever lost
Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The new lead singer sucks cuz he sounds like every 80s hair metal band front man.

My apologies
are forever lost

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic