Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 New Dream Theater CD - "Train of Thought" - A Revi View next topic
View previous topic
JasonT
Supreme Overlord of Bitchassery

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 5:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ALL YOUR B347Z ARE BELONG TO US.

reworking portfolio...
Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 6:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well Jarred- It just so happens that I am very aware of all of the guitarist you mentioned- hence the ect. after about four names. Actually I have Steve Vai's signature model Ibanez (the JEM). Just so you know I did mistake you for someone else, gotta look a little more closely at the names......., but I apologize for cutting into you the way I did. I may not be the greatest guitarist in the world (understatement) but I play because I love too, and frankly, Ive only been playing for 5 or 6 years, but I can still hold my own. I would love to talk music with you since I now know you arent who I thought you were. I am somewhat educated in music, Ive been into it my whole life- I can play the flute and baritone tuba. Honestly, why I said that Dream Theaters stuff isnt that hard, is because I can pull a good bit of it off, and if I can do it, it cant be that hard. I still do personally beleive that Hammet is one of the better guitarist of our time, dispite his last effort. He was just one of the first names I mentioned because I love Metallica (up to St. Anger).

But I do disagree when you say that none of the guitarist I mentioned can hold a candle to the names you listed. Clapton is one of the last of the blues greats and his stuff with Cream was incredable. Lang is about our age and even takin that into factor, he is still an outstanding guitarist. Iommi put him on for a different reason- he was great because he never had to jazz up his music, it was simple, raw and powerful, and frankly most of the bands we listen too, and most of the names we have both mentioned probably wouldnt be around or like they are had it not been for Black Sabbath. I did forget Victor Wooten on bass, he is awesome. Wylde is a great guitarist for yet another reason, his playing is just all over the place and the power and energy that he conveys through his guitar is truely great. Actually I didnt put most of the names you put cuz I couldnt spell them Embarassed .

Guitars I have:
78 Fender Fat Strat Custom
Ibanez JEM 555
2 Yamaha Classical Guitars
Honer ST Metal (its purple)

Bass:
Peavy USA made Fury bass

Amps:
Lots of little shit amps
Fender Performer 1000 head
Generic Cab with 2 celestion 12" speakers

Effects:
Ibanez Tube Screamer
DOD Grunge

Guitar has consumed my life- so if you ever wanna talk about it, Im there.
Also- My name is Jordon

My apologies
are forever lost
soon to ashes in a flash of light.- Offspring (Lightning Rod)
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Guitar I used to have:

2001 Transparent Tiger Striped Emerald Green PRS Custom 24 with Gold hardware and Pearl Dove inlays on the frets. Even the posts in the humbuckers were gold.

Crying or Very sad

I like toast!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 1:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow....damnit...I typed up a huge reply and it got lost when my internet froze. Sigh...

I'll reiterate in summary...

Nice to meet you Jordan, good to know things have been resolved, although I'm still fairly curious about who I was being mistaken for.

Music: I've been a musician my whole life. Violin since 1st grade, some piano, baritone horn (same as you) from 7th grade through college, and easily my best instrument (was 1st seat in all-city through HS and got scholarships in college). Learned to sing a bit, and I've picked up the guitar and have been working primarily on that for the last year and a half. I've been in a 90s cover band for about a year now, and we're just starting to get some official gigs lately, so it's definitely forcing me to progress as a guitarist, although I still think I suck and have a very long way to go.

Guitarists: Clapton definitely is up there, since he's a blues god. I don't consider Iommi that great because he uses a small handful of the same blues licks for every single solo (and I own most of the Sabbath collection, including after Ozzy left). The guys I mentioned are mostly metal and progressive, and are considered godlike for their almost inhuman shredding skills. What makes John Petrucci stand out for me is not only his pure speed, but his ability to play with skill in any genre. I've heard him do blues, jazz, neoclassical, classical guitar, you name it. His skill mixed with his diversity is what makes him so great. I still disagree on Hammett though because I've heard cover bands play Metallica, and any competent guitarist with decent shredding skill can pull off his solos. Dream Theater has covered Metallica easily, and played straight through Master of Puppets once on a side tour just for fun. Do you really think Metallica could even come close to covering Dream Theater? I'm a huge fan of older Metallica as well, but Hammett really isn't that great.

Playing Dream Theater: As for being able to play some of DT's stuff, I can do a little bit as well. But their standard song-based material isn't really what I was talking about, since they can't display their skill during the regular parts of songs, otherwise there'd be no flow or groove either. What I meant was something like the middle of Metropolis Pt. 1, with 16th and 32nd-note runs across constantly changing time signatures. If you could pull that off, I'd truly be impressed.

Back on topic: Anyway, about this whole "progressive" thing and Tool. I agree with you that there's a fairly cheesy, trite, and in my opinion stale, genre of "prog-rock/metal," who reminisce too much about the 80s and do nothing but masturbate on their instruments. I only really like a handful of bands in this genre these days. To me, what makes something "progressive" is something entirely different, and can exist in any genre with any band, as long as they are original, technically skilled, and creative with their songwriting. I consider Tool to be highly progressive, because they're quite original, have written in crazy time signatures, are very good on their instruments, and have many songs that go past normal radio-length. Another band like this is Faith No More, whom I also always considered progressive. There's another band out there called Pain of Salvation, that almost no one knows of, which is lumped in with the prog-metal genre but really doesn't sound like anything I've ever heard. Their biggest influence is FnM, but they add in a ton more raw emotion and aggression mixed with absolute chaos and beauty to create something truly original. That is what defines progressive for me, and with that in mind, that is why I consider Tool to be a progressive band.
Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

first off- dont worry about who you were being mistaken for, if you found out, you will wish you didnt.

Their are very few musicians that I would scream like a little girl if I ever met- Clapton is one. I still disagree with you on the Hammet point- I think they could cover most if not all of DT's material. But playing in a cover band, as has every guitarist, hehe, you should know that it is far easier to play someone elses music than come up with your own. Metallica hardly shows Hammets abilities as a guitarist because most, if not all their music, is written by Jamez (he also does most of the solos on the CDs). If you look back to the olden days when Metallica put alot more into their music, yes many cover bands can play these songs, but I have yet to see anyone play Call of the Klituku. I know two guitarist, friends of mine, that could more then likely pick up DT stuff just by listening to it, time signatures and all- actually one is Anna's cousin Alex- the kid rips on guitar- the other is my roommate who can play almost anything.
I dont really think that the complexity of a song is a fair judge of musical talent- their is something to be said for simplicity and not always trying to showcase your skillz.
Clapton is a master at this- his rythems are clean and simple and he has the ability to pick it up and really show off if need be. Bands like DT and guitarist like Vai just seem to be trying to show off- like the little kid jumping up and down screaming LOOK AT ME! IM GOOD! I mean they are good, but it gets old listening to people solo for 20 mins.

Their is one guitarist we both keep forgeting to mention and that is Dave Mustain- while I dont like Megadeth- his fucking guitar parts are hard as hell (not counting the last 2 cds).

My apologies
are forever lost
Strife
The Flogger

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2003 2:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

pomenti wrote:
Guitar I used to have:

2001 Transparent Tiger Striped Emerald Green PRS Custom 24 with Gold hardware and Pearl Dove inlays on the frets. Even the posts in the humbuckers were gold.

Crying or Very sad

Damn dude- that sucks

My apologies
are forever lost
Jefferys
Just Lurking

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 1:51 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow...

Anyway, I'm a bad message board participant preferring mostly to lurk or wander away as I have almost the worst attention span of anyone I know. Great, I'm digressing off the topic...

I haven't been around for a long time. My first post on this boardbeing a review for DT's Train of Thought--I could have done better--and see what's it's morphed into...

Oh well, since this is a weekend where I've decided not to venture outside at all due to it being a bit nippy out (7F if you get my drift). My natural tendency is to be in state of boredom at home so I was going through my stack of last year's CD purchases. I decided to stick in the aforementioned Train of Thought to see if another further listening could get me to change my mind about the first post I wrote.

To sum it up...not too much has deviated. I did tend to get more out of "This Dying Soul" as it is a direct sequel to "Glass Prison" from Six Degrees but after finding about the root of the subject matter [12 steps to recovering from alcoholism...apparently, Portnoy was an alcoholic] it does tend to depress me more. "Stream of Consciousness" and "In the Name of God" I gave the least chance on first listen as by the end of the CD, I really wasn't in the mood to go all the way through--this was the first DT CD that really gave me a metal-induced migraine.

All in all, though, this would have appealed to me if I was more of a fan of straight-ahead metal, but I'm not. I'm more into the more melodic mode and classic prog stylings of bands like Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, ELP, et al (age 26 and I'm already an "old fart" Wink ). Still, that doesn't mean I don't give today's bands (Spock's Beard, Flower Kings, Marillion et al) a chance. I really liked Scenes From a Memory and to a lesser extent, Six Degrees (the 40+ minute song on the second CD moreso). But I have my limits when it comes to metal...

Oh well, that's about it. I was thinking about putting more into this, but there goes my attention span again...

Now where did that Doctor Who DVD go to...?

"And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make."

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic