Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 return of the king (WARNING SPOILERS) (unless you read it) View next topic
View previous topic
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

what did we all think? (other than the fact that the ending was about 40 min too long)

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think I probably shouldn't check this thread again until I've gone and seen it.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

i think you are right....

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

jewles
Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 3:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You should put spoilers in the thread title. And of course the ending was too long. Have you ever read the book. It was even worse. The story ended and there were like 100 pages left. I think the movie we very true to the book and was wicked awesome.
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I disagree with it being true to the book. The movie was long and interesting, the book was long and boring.

Nadrogue
I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 4:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They could have cut 5 minutes off the end, but other than that I thought it was the best of the three.

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
KieranHorn
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 5:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW wrote:
I disagree with it being true to the book. The movie was long and interesting, the book was long and boring.

long and boring?? what are you crazy? Tolkien wrote each of these books beautifully.

RotK was a well done movie(sans 5-10 minutes of the ending), albeit not exactly true to the books. I give Peter Jackson mad props for taking this cult classic from the 50's and turning into the greatest trilogy of our time.

ethyachk
Resident Karateka

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 6:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

KieranHorn wrote:
BrianW wrote:

long and boring?? what are you crazy? Tolkien wrote each of these books beautifully.

If by "beautifully" you mean "like the dictionary" or "like a blurb in an encyclopedia" then you're right. PJ took some unbelievably longwinded and boring books and made them into amazing movies. And he only mentioned lembas bread like once! That's the greatest improvement I could have asked for.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 7:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The greatest improvment I could ask for would be less goddamn singing. There was a song on every 3rd page of the books. Thank the lord that was taken out. The few places that did have it left in were appropriate and well done.

Debbie
Geek In Training

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the singing, yeah I'll grant you that. when you read the books you just skip the songs. but other than that, the books were fucking awesome, and the movies were pretty damn true to the books. different order, some definite changes, but a whole lot very much the same. and they're awesome books. like I said, just don't read the songs....or the appendices.

I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2003 9:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Debbie wrote:
the singing, yeah I'll grant you that. when you read the books you just skip the songs. but other than that, the books were fucking awesome, and the movies were pretty damn true to the books. different order, some definite changes, but a whole lot very much the same. and they're awesome books. like I said, just don't read the songs....or the appendices.

exactly

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 9:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I skipped the songs...and most of the walking...and some of the longer fights...and a lot of the whining about how much elves rule and men drool...I think I read about 10 pages in each book.

Actually I did read most of it, but they are terribly long winded and boring through most of it. PJ managed to squeeze all the interesting parts together and do them really well. Although, making Arwen a central character was really annoying. But it had the side effect of a lot more Mr. Smith time, and that's cool.

Btw, when the mt. doom was jizzing everywhere, did anyone else think 'Dianetics by Elrond Hubbard?'

Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Personally, while Mt Doom was..huhuhuh blowing huhuhuhuh it's top, I was hoping that a small burning clump of lava hit Aragorn and bounced off him into Legolas and both of them had to take their clothes off so they wouldn't get burned. THAT woulda been a cool ending!

I also thought the books were long winded and boring. I thought all three movies were awesome. Sean, who's read the books about ten times, is pretty happy with how well they kept to the books. I'll take his word for it.

KieranHorn
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

damn, I cant beleive no one liked the books. I thought the singing/poetry was great. you gotta remember, these books were written as history books/journals of the fellowship. Tolkien created a wholy different world filled with my strange things (singing in perfect rhyme scheme at random included).
I dont think they would nearly been as great of books if it was just the story, with none of the flair that he put in.
*shrug* oh well, Im not trying to convince you, just speakin my peace

chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2003 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I liked the poems and songs too, but then I'm a cultural anthropology junkie. Comparing and contrasting the values, arts, dreams, fears, and daily habits of different cultures is endlessly interesting to me. So many different cultures, so many beliefs as to what the most worthy thing to do with one's life is - what beauty is - and what the most horrible hell might be.

So I liked the books. The walks of the Frodo and Sam sans Golum were more than a little dull and depressing tho.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic