Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 More abuse of smokers View next topic
View previous topic
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
Smokers often can forget how annoying their smoke is to non-smokers. I want you to picture going on a date -- you've taken a nice girl to a nice restaurant. And fucking Fran Dresher with that ungodly annoying laugh of hers sits down at your table, refusing to leave, each word indicating a subtle death wish. That's about how annoying the smoke is to others.

And smoking sections with seperate ventalation systems weren't enough?

Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:
Uty wrote:
Smokers often can forget how annoying their smoke is to non-smokers. I want you to picture going on a date -- you've taken a nice girl to a nice restaurant. And fucking Fran Dresher with that ungodly annoying laugh of hers sits down at your table, refusing to leave, each word indicating a subtle death wish. That's about how annoying the smoke is to others.

And smoking sections with seperate ventalation systems weren't enough?

That's actually one of the bigger parts of my issues with the non-smoking law: the existing laws requiring ventilation were rarely if ever enforced. So instead of enforcing them, the government decided to make another law, founded on a different but entirely faulty premise.
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Well at least they did something....? LOL

>^_@< ~/-\

Last edited by gabesilver on Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
suhmann
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think its funny that smokers get their cigerette break for lunch too, because they could not take it at lunch.

Nadrogue
I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW wrote:
If I were in charge of hiring at any place of business (and it's a good thing I'm not) I would never hire smokers. At least, not for any place that's not run by a strict time clock. In my experience, they take a 15 minute break every hour, which is an hour and a half less work than everyone else. Not only bad for productivity, but morale, too. Ugh.

Not to mention the smell makes me want to vomit.

You have to hire smokers because you're not allowed to ask them if they are a smoker. However, you don't have to allow the smoke breaks.

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Gannondwarf
The Short One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

HyLander42 wrote:
That's actually one of the bigger parts of my issues with the non-smoking law: the existing laws requiring ventilation were rarely if ever enforced. So instead of enforcing them, the government decided to make another law, founded on a different but entirely faulty premise.

i'm pretty sure it all has to do with money... it more than likely costs more to hire inspectors to inspect restaurants or whatnot to make sure that the laws are enforced rather than just to say no smoking in restaurants at all... but don't quote me on that...

"Is there an indellible line dividing sanity from insanity? Or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We'll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane..." - Vincent Volaju
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Fearsome Anna
Bad Kitty Kitty!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nadrogue wrote:
BrianW wrote:
If I were in charge of hiring at any place of business (and it's a good thing I'm not) I would never hire smokers. At least, not for any place that's not run by a strict time clock. In my experience, they take a 15 minute break every hour, which is an hour and a half less work than everyone else. Not only bad for productivity, but morale, too. Ugh.

You have to hire smokers because you're not allowed to ask them if they are a smoker. However, you don't have to allow the smoke breaks.

You may not be able to ask them if they smoke, but all you have to do is get within 10 feet of them. Don't forget that cigarette smoke sticks to clothes.

Gannondwarf
The Short One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 1:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Fearsome Anna wrote:
Nadrogue wrote:
BrianW wrote:

You may not be able to ask them if they smoke, but all you have to do is get within 10 feet of them. Don't forget that cigarette smoke sticks to clothes.

either smoke or the tell-tale scent of fabreeze...

"Is there an indellible line dividing sanity from insanity? Or do they change, one into the other, at the slightest turn of events? We'll find out, soon enough, that the world itself is insane..." - Vincent Volaju
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nadrogue wrote:

Not true, you have to allow anyone in a company a 15 min break every 2 hours of work. This can be used to smoke, or take a walk or get some coffee... etc.
I smoked while at my last job, and I found that its not the smoking that is killing time, its the conversations people where having during smoke breaks that was killing so much time. I would go outside for a 5 min smoke break every once in a while and usually I would be thinking about what I was working on, or I would be clearing my head so that I could actually think about what I was working on. The people I saw outside wasting time, were often not even smokers, they would just stand around one person who was a smoker, and talk about shit for 15-20 min.
suhmann
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If we had one more quote inside a quote people with netscape would not be able to view the site.

Personally I think smokers have a better "in" to meet women. You can always walk up and say have a smoke. They go yes or no and if no you can always say your trying to quit and blah blah blah.

However if you don't smoke you have to come up with some lame line. Like Hi, How are you doing? Do you play racket ball? It just doesn't work. I have tried the reverse. Asking a person if they smoked and faked thanking god that they didn't. It actually worked. I figured I would see her again since she lived in my building and I ran into her like 12 times already. Nope, 6 months later I finnally meet her again and I am moving out and she has herself a boyfriend. Oh well.

Gannondwarf
The Short One

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 4:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

France wrote:
you have to allow anyone in a company a 15 min break every 2 hours of work. This can be used to smoke, or take a walk or get some coffee... etc.

wow... my boss must not have gotten that memo from the dept or labor... we only got 30 minutes per 8 hour shift to be taken at one time or lost to the oblivion...

suhmann wrote:
Personally I think smokers have a better "in" to meet women. You can always walk up and say have a smoke. They go yes or no and if no you can always say your trying to quit and blah blah blah.

that only works if the girl is a smoker... or ok with the ashtray taste... hate to burst your bubble on that one...

suhmann
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2004 5:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, but its still an easy in.

Gangles
Paddle-Boy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

well id just like to say that going to a bar and other eating establishments in DE are much more pleasant with no smoking allowed. I try to not hate on those who smoke but the smoke itself is most def an irritant to my allergies and it is really nice to be able to go to bars and not worry about it. Back in the day when i'd go out to places and there was smoking I would come home and have to take a shower to get the smoke smell off just so i could go to sleep. Oh yeah, and i'm also one of those guys who descriminates against those applying to his dating pool if they smoke.

I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 2:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

France wrote:
Nadrogue wrote:

Not true, you have to allow anyone in a company a 15 min break every 2 hours of work. This can be used to smoke, or take a walk or get some coffee... etc.
I smoked while at my last job, and I found that its not the smoking that is killing time, its the conversations people where having during smoke breaks that was killing so much time. I would go outside for a 5 min smoke break every once in a while and usually I would be thinking about what I was working on, or I would be clearing my head so that I could actually think about what I was working on. The people I saw outside wasting time, were often not even smokers, they would just stand around one person who was a smoker, and talk about shit for 15-20 min.

I've heard that before, but I'm pretty sure It's just a rumor started by smoking employees.

Fearsome Anna wrote:

Or you don't show up at a job interview smelling like smoke. This I learned a while ago.

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Stoker
I is illiterate

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 8:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't worry, I know I'll be first (and probably far from the last) in line to vote Ruth Ann Minner out of office, I really despise the woman.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic