Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Disney View next topic
View previous topic
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't know if anyone paid attention to the fact that Comcast tried to buy Disney recently but.... they did. Comcast tried to buy them for 66 billion dollars in a combination cash and stock deal. Disney turned it down caus they felt that their stock was being undervalued by Comcast.

Two points come to mind when I think about this little tid bit of finacial and corporate information....

1) Holy shit Comcast is huge. I never realized how much coin they were responsible for. I guess they are approaching that wonderful Keretsu status (spelling is most likely off on that one but I don't have the time to break out my Japanese Contemporary Culture books).

2) Disney really is in the crapper right now. They are completely stagnate. All their "good" things died out in the last decade. Their movies have tanked ever since The Lion King and really their only source of revenue is ancient merchandising rights from Mickey. Pixar is their own saving grace but they aren't locked into that deal forever. They've already eliminated their animation studios... so what is the silver bullet that saves them?

>^_@< ~/-\

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Save them? Now why would we want to do that?

Pixar isn't even a saving grace anymore, they're splitsville. I'm not sure if I still have the link to the article about the Disney/Pixar split around anywhere. Disney gets two more movies (The Invincibles and another film under the working title "Cars" I believe) and their distribution rights that are in production by Pixar and after that the two as a team are done. Pixar felt that they weren't getting their fair share of the cut (knowing Disney's predatory business policies, this is likely) and decided to go out on their own.
Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Crap, that last post was mine. Lousy web browser forgetting who I am!

Actually, Disney may still have a few silver bullets though. They own enough big companies, television stations (ABC, The Disney Channel) and other movie studios (Touchstone, MGM) and have a marketing juggernaut second to none, due to the predatory business practices mentioned earlier. When these guys own something, they get all of it, maybe even your soul if you didn't read the small print carefully enough to have it omitted.

Last edited by Brutal_Cow on Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We must not let Comcast buy Disney. Bill Gates owns half of Comcast. We must not let Bill Gates own half of a controlling interest in children's values. No no no no no no no.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pixar renewed their deal with Disney though, they got better distrubution rights and royalities for existing francises as well as new projects in the future. I think they have a five picture thing going on.

>^_@< ~/-\
PhillyJeep
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gabesilver wrote:
Disney really is in the crapper right now. They are completely stagnate. All their "good" things died out in the last decade. Their movies have tanked ever since The Lion King and really their only source of revenue is ancient merchandising rights from Mickey. Pixar is their own saving grace but they aren't locked into that deal forever. They've already eliminated their animation studios... so what is the silver bullet that saves them?

Oh child, do not fret... for things have been far worse for Disney.

After it's founder's death in 1966, the great Disney lost it's direction. Before Touchtone Pictures, before Disney could afford to even consider buying ABC... the studio became known for cheesy B-quality kids movies and was considered "the studio of last resort" by all with potential movie scripts in hand. This company was not much more than a lot of old dusty animated films and two outdated resorts.

Disney sunk so low almost bought out by the evil corporate raider Kirk Kerkorian (aka MCP), who'd desired to auction off the studio's prized possessions, spin off the resorts and sell it's prized movie collection to the highest bidder, as that corporate virus had done to poor MGM.

But in it's final moments of life Disney found a hero - who was rejected by all the other studios - and arose to save the company. His name was Tron.

Trust me on this little one, for I was there.

- Dumont

talker does not make him a good man."

- Lao Tzu
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerICQ Number
Steveness
His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I agree with Andrew. How does a company have $66 Million+ in expendable/investable liquid assets? Damn, Comcast has grown more than I had realized.
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 1:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Not bad for a company that started in a Philly garage in the 80's. Disney has been sucking lately, their disney stores have been closing up around the country and I think Pixar parted business relations with Disney???

Supreme Overlord of Bitchassery

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gabesilver wrote:
Pixar renewed their deal with Disney though, they got better distrubution rights and royalities for existing francises as well as new projects in the future. I think they have a five picture thing going on.

Where is this information? As far as I know, Pixar is through with Disney after the Incredibles and Cars.

reworking portfolio...
Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

As it stand, Pixar's five movie deal is over (Toy Story 1&2, Bug's Life, Monsters Inc. and Finding Nemo) and they renewed for two films, trying to get a sweeter deal (Invincibles and Cars). After that though, it's all over but for the cryin' as far as they're concerned.

Lemme tell you, Lord Jobs and John Lasseter are waiting to pimp Pixar out to whoever will placate their egos enough and pay them in big fat sacks of cash that they can throw on the rest of the piles of riches they store in their offices. No one deserves this more than Pixar though, even if Steve Jobs is the white knight of all things Mac.

I'd love to see what Pixar and, say... Dreamworks, could do.

On the topic of the original post though, imagine this: a Comcast guy coming out to your house to fix the connection wearing one of those silly mouse ear hats. Hysterical. That's like a maintenance problem fixed and a show.

I is illiterate

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And didn't Comcast offer to pay in stock that they'd create? It struck me as Comcast essentially printing their own money.

gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 3:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The sequels don't count has part of the picture limit. So they are still on the hook.

>^_@< ~/-\

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Out of curiosity, where'd you hear that? I'm having trouble looking up the original article about Pixar and Disney.

As for printing their own money, yeah it does, which is why Disney didn't bite. Disney only wants tangibles... and souls.

Mmmm. Souls.
Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uh, that was me again up there. Embarassed My bad.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I fixed guest posting in Media. Sorry about that gentlemen.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic