Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Jet Li in Hero View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, some of you may have seen previews for the new Jet Li movie in theatres. It's a little known fact that the movie is allready available in its original Cantonese. I saw it and it was OK. I honestly wouldn't recommend seeing it in the theatre. And as an American, I proudly say they should have hired us to do the special effects.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Gangles
Paddle-Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:14 am Reply with quoteBack to top

don't worry....as an american people would say that your taste in movies is crass and unsophisticated.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Right, because no one in the States likes Jet Li flicks. Rolling Eyes

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Gangles
Paddle-Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
And as an American, I proudly say they should have hired us to do the special effects.

no, people in america like jet li films....but apparently its more important to have "american" special effects rather than good cinemtography. Whether or not that is the reason the movie is only "OK" and not worth seeing in the theaters i guess i can only speculate at...however, it did bias you enough to mention that as a downfall of the movie. Just exactly what special effects shots should have been done or could have been done better by an american effects studio?

Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It's not a matter of special effects themselves, but the money to shoot them. In HK, they're a lot more reserved as far as special effects goes. Wires and blue screens are cheap and fast. Hiring people such as myself (only much much better than I am) to do 3D special effects on expensive platforms is not cheap or time efficient.

Paddle-Boy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

not to mention that some peole feel that the reliance on FX is killing the actual art of shooting a movie.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Dude. Have you seen the movie? The special effects really could have been better. Everything was cool until they'd try to slow down to the oh-so-popular "bullet time" and it just totally blew. That doesn't mean the movie sucked. Unless the whole thing would be in bullet time.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 10:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Gangles wrote:
not to mention that some peole feel that the reliance on FX is killing the actual art of shooting a movie.

like me. seriously, some of the more recent jet li and even jackie chan movies us FX and it's like, whats the fucking point then you can get anybody to do, or anybody to FX a person doing it. I didnt ever want to see 2 fast 2 furious because all the action scenes in the previews were CG, how am I supposed to be impressed if all the action is CG? use CG for large scenery like in LOTR that cant really be duplicated and stuff like that.

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 12:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Eh. Real, fake, its just a movie. The question is was it Good? Was it entertaining?

Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Go big budget special effects! Keep me and my peeps employed! Just don't touch kung fu!

Paddle-Boy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

yeah, i saw the movie in beijing last january...didn't understand a word of the dialouge but loved the story because the visual story telling was good enough that i could follow what was going on w/out any of the dialouge. Granted, after the film there were a few points that i didn't know but overall i got the jist of what was happening.

Wire work during kung fu is more than acceptable in my opinion...it takes all kinds of skill to do those wire stunts correctly. When they CG the action sequences yeah, it takes away from the overall affect of the scene. The only time i can recall them slowing the action down was in the opening fight scene, please correct me if i'm wrong.

I was just hoping that the movie wasn't getting blasted because the effects weren't up to americna standards. I mean, there was so much more to the movie besides one sub par FX shot.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Is the scene where they are running over the top of the water -- and the camera is taking a shot from underwater -- in bullet-time? Or is it that they are doing that stupid/corny slow Crouching Tiger float-run? (where they are supposed to be moving so fast that they don't sink, but they look like they are walking slowly so you can see them doing it...)

I only saw the trailers, so I really have no basis to otherwise judge this.

Just for the record, the stupid/corny float-run/flying is what has kept me from watching CT:HD to this day. It's too fake.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

There are however some flicks in which the ridiculously obvious CG effects are used to great effect. The Storm Riders comes to mind. Note this cinema example is a flick, therefore is immune to most criticism. See Penny Arcade for why movies like this aren't for critics. Wink

Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
Just for the record, the stupid/corny float-run/flying is what has kept me from watching CT:HD to this day. It's too fake.

You do realize that CT:HD is a fantasy, right? It's not supposed to be realistic.
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:

The Yellow Dart wrote:
I never watched Star Wars cause the 'force' isn't real, either.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic