Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Jimi Hendrix v. Stevie Ray Vaughan View next topic
View previous topic
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 7:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So here's something that's been debated over many a pool-table and WAY too many pints of beer:

Which guitarist, in their relatively short lives, was actually the better guitarist: Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan? Make note that I'm not speaking of notoriety here, but actual talent. Hendrix was a notorious guitar legend and probably would win the popularity portion of the contest while Vaughan remained a grass-roots favorite, however that's not what I want the opinions based upon.

So the question remains: Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan... which one was "the best" at their instrument?

For my money I say SRV. Why? Stevie seemed to have a "cleaner" sound and was more of a straight-ahead attack than Jimi's experimental playing. Jimi seemed to want to stretch the boundries of the accepted guitar contraints and was deeply into the amplifier sound. I still can't find a recording of Jimi doing anything accoustic either... Stevie seemed to play his best 'unplugged' and that's where I really felt the muscianship come out.

Don't get me wrong, both were AMAZING at their craft, but I happen to enjoy Stevie's play a lot more than Jimi's due to the soul coming out in the chords.

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 9:33 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd say that SRV was a better guitar player on a technical level but Jimi hendrix had such a huge influence on rock and music in general. Jimi pretty much invented distortion for guitars, the first to do 8 track (as in multi-track, not the format) recording, etc.

Now if anyone wants to know the real story of Jimi's death let me know ...

I have the bicycles.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I smell a conspiracy theory Laughing ... SRV is my pick. I too feel he had a smoother, more technical sound.

www.LANFusion.com
www.GirlsofCS.com
View user's profileSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Since I can't say for certain I've heard any of SRV's songs, I can't really say. What I do know is that Hendrix's cover of All Along the Watchtower was so good that Dylan changed how he performs it to better match it.
KieranHorn
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

While what he did to songs was revolutionary, it still doesnt speak of actual guitar talent.
All I need to help me make the decision is hearing 'Little Wing' by SRV. Listen to him pour his heart and soul through the guitar for 6 and a half minutes, and you'll be hooked.

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

AMEN!

To me, listening to Jimi's "Little Wing" v. Stevie's "Little Wing" really points out the differences in the way they play. Seems like a "no shit" statement to make, but SRV's version just moves you.

Again, I've got to point out that what Hendrix did was completely revolutionary and he IS one of the most prominent influences on modern music, but Stevie... damn. Stevie had more soul to spare than most of us will ever see in our lifetimes.

I am a little curious as to "the real story of Jimi's death" so post it pomenti!!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic