Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Opinion on Grad School View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Which do you think would be best for me?

1. Get a Master's Degree ($15,000 and about 2 years)
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
2. Get an MBA Degree ($25,000+ and about 3 years)
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I am now considering starting grad school in the Fall of '05, part time night classes while I still work full time. The biggest decision now is should I go for a regular Masters' Degree or go for an MBA. The Master's costs about $15,000 and is about 30 credits. The MBA costs $25,000+ and is 45 to 48 credits. If all things were equal the MBA would be the choice, it is better for the future path of management I would like to take (ie, a CIO of a company). But it's not equal, it's over $10,000 more and will take a year longer to complete. Both I can take locally in Philly. Anyone have any thoughts?

Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What do you want to get the masters in?

>^_@< ~/-\
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gabesilver wrote:
What do you want to get the masters in?

Management Information Systems, or fields relating to networking, telecommunications, or overall computer technology and the managment thereof. Temple offers both an MBA and MS in Managment Information Systems. It also offers other MBAs as well. The Keller Graduate school of DeVry University also offers several MS and MBAs in more concentrated fields such as Telecomunications or Networking.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

My thoughts are you should basically throw this concept of money right out the window. If you want to be doing hands on shit with technology, go for the MS. If you want to have a more administrative function, go for the MBA.

(PS: My Hall Director / boss while I was an RA at UD got her MBA in two years.)

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
jewles
Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Even if you take 2 classes per semester (which is hard to do part time) 30 credits will take 2 and a half years and 45 credits is 4 years.
gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Masters degrees are pretty useless from what I've seen, people would much rather see experience. After you get the undergrad experience is really all poeple care about (past projects and the like). At least that's how I've seen all hiring and salary stuff done in my industry.

>^_@< ~/-\
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Can you get work to pay for all or part of it? If so, that may alleviate some of your problems.

Another thing to check: do most of the MS classes/credits transfer into the MBA program? If so, then start on the MS and decide down the line once you have an idea of what it's all about and what you want to do with it.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

gabesilver wrote:
Masters degrees are pretty useless from what I've seen, people would much rather see experience. After you get the undergrad experience is really all poeple care about (past projects and the like). At least that's how I've seen all hiring and salary stuff done in my industry.

I personally pretty much feel the same way about both degrees. Having the degree kinda gets you OK'd for an interview but then you must show the experience to get the job. So I ask if both seem like a piece of paper that do the same job, why spend more money and time on one of them?

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 8:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
Can you get work to pay for all or part of it? If so, that may alleviate some of your problems.

Another thing to check: do most of the MS classes/credits transfer into the MBA program? If so, then start on the MS and decide down the line once you have an idea of what it's all about and what you want to do with it.

Yes, work pays for up to $5000 a year i believe toward classes regardless of grades. Getting money is not a problem for me, but spending it unwisely would be.

Good point on the transfer of credits. Within Temple some (not all) could also go towards an MBA. I could possibly start with an MS and change later or add on.

Mistress E

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

do you get more money at FCCC after you complete the degree? is there a difference in salary raise between the two?

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2004 11:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bigsado wrote:
do you get more money at FCCC after you complete the degree? is there a difference in salary raise between the two?

As far as I can tell there would be no difference in salary immediately after completing the degree. The only noticable effect is the hope that I could move up to a manager position (at FCCC or any company) and that would cause the salary increase.

I will have at least 5 years experience and have at the very least the title of senior network engineer. That way I am coinciding 5 years of experience with a Master's degree (and CCNP level certification as well). Next logical step at that time would be some kind of manager or supervisor. So at that time, will an MBA make a difference over an MS, or is the MS enough to do what I need?

Sentient Acronym Storage Facility

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Take a look at the MS program in Telecom at U of Penn. Some great instructors, and MS in Telecom at a decent school (like Penn) is worth something on your resume.

john

Manuevers without Signal is just camping in the woods.
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MajorKong wrote:
Take a look at the MS program in Telecom at U of Penn. Some great instructors, and MS in Telecom at a decent school (like Penn) is worth something on your resume.

john

Too bad you don't offer a MS in Telecom Rolling Eyes

I've looked at Penn before, even high hopes of attending the Wharton school of Penn. I think I'd be OK grades-wise to get in but I have to check their tuition, then money might become a factor.

Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wharton will be a hell of a lot more expensive; the two-year MBA program has a tuition cost of roughly $40 grand/year.

Sentient Acronym Storage Facility

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

HyLander42 wrote:
Wharton will be a hell of a lot more expensive; the two-year MBA program has a tuition cost of roughly $40 grand/year.

Fortunately, the Telecom program is (last I looked) part of the SEAS, School of Engineering and Applied Sciences.

Sorry, but I have been less than impressed with most (not all) of the MBAs that I have worked with. They tend to take two data points and then draw a straight line into infinity, as they have little grasp of the real world and the concepts of limits.

My $0.02.

john

Manuevers without Signal is just camping in the woods.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic