Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Opinion on Grad School View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Which do you think would be best for me?

1. Get a Master's Degree ($15,000 and about 2 years)
44%
 44%  [ 4 ]
2. Get an MBA Degree ($25,000+ and about 3 years)
55%
 55%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 9

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

HyLander42 wrote:
Wharton will be a hell of a lot more expensive; the two-year MBA program has a tuition cost of roughly $40 grand/year.

Oh I know Wharton is expensive. Their EMBA is $125k total. I looked up the regular MS in Telecommunications and Networking and it is about $35,000 or more total cost. Plus classes start by 4:30pm and they are all in Center City, so Penn gets ruled out on cost and not being able to fit my situation. They also charge you for housing fees whether you stay on campus or not.

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

MajorKong wrote:
Sorry, but I have been less than impressed with most (not all) of the MBAs that I have worked with. They tend to take two data points and then draw a straight line into infinity, as they have little grasp of the real world and the concepts of limits.

My $0.02.

john

I know that MBA's are not always held in high esteem, usually by the people who work the technical jobs under them because the MBAs dont know what they are doing half the time. But as I said earlier, I am looking for the best path that could eventually lead to a position like CIO, CTO or CEO even and the people that I need to impress for those jobs are likely to be the ones that hold MBAs in high esteem. Hence making this a tough decision.

Forum Queen

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Grad school is the worst thing ever. Don't go unless you enjoy wanting to kill yourself every day.

pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2004 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Kerrie wrote:
Grad school is the worst thing ever. Don't go unless you enjoy wanting to kill yourself every day.

See, positive thinking people. That's what it's all about!

Tech House Lapcandy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 11:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if it makes you feel any better i too am testing the grad school waters.

i will be formally unemployed in a week and starting just the one class. i'm looking at it as a dry run to see if i want to invest the time and money for a masters.

i'm also job hunting, but so far only one nibble and the pay is about half of what i am making now . . . oh well.

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm going with the MBA over the MS. Probably start in Fall '05 at the Fox School of Management at Temple if all goes well.

The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can do Wharton, it will open up more possibilities. A Wharton MBA looks really good to Management Types and will get you into many doors very quickly.

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 3:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:
If you can do Wharton, it will open up more possibilities. A Wharton MBA looks really good to Management Types and will get you into many doors very quickly.

And if you can afford it then I'll go Smile Plus, they have this odd residency restriction rule on at least some of their programs that doesnt work for me who wants a part time degree.

The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2004 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd love to put you through Wharton Rolling Eyes, but there's this wife I've got, and bills to pay...

It doesn't hurt to apply BTW. If you're accepted, you may start getting noticed. My Dad knew guys that got really good offers when they were just accepted into Kellog school of business.

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2005 11:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

**BUMP**

I got accepted to Temple's Fox School of Business and Management for an MBA degree with an MIS concentration starting in August. Very Happy

Court Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 2:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yay! Grats!

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Jul 04, 2005 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If MBA is the route you want to go then good for you. You could be the MBA with a clue, which would make your resume look very good.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Steveness
His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 4:07 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats, Al!
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Thanks!

I like toast!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Congrats on being accepted to Temple! I loved grad school when I went, but then again we are in two different fields. I want to get an MBA too and am doing some research.

My question though is what is your backgorund and why do you feel the need to get an MS or an MBA. I work for a web design firm right now and the CEO here has alot of expereince with hiring people and knows what to look for so I can ask her her opinion about what you want to do if you want me to. Just give me all the pertinent details and I will ask her.

Good luck with everything!!!!

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic