Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 ... just plain odd. View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

CNN wrote:
Sources said the studio is in negotiations with director-producer Sam Raimi (the "Spider-Man" movies) for a project titled "Freddy vs. Jason vs. Ash." In the proposed sequel, Freddy (from the "A Nightmare on Elm Street" films) and Jason (from the "Friday the 13th" pics) would go up against Ash, the cynical anti-hero survivor of Raimi's "Evil Dead" trilogy, which also includes "Army of Darkness."

Bruce Campbell played the character in the trilogy and would play him again if the deal were to close.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:57 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Wow... I'm torn. On the one hand, it's a Sam Raimi/Bruce Campbell film, but, on the other hand, is a "stupid franchise v. stupid franchise" film. Torn.
Vanblade
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

...well, I was gonna say something...but ...I see there is no need
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This is just the beginning. W/ Freddy vs. Jason and now Alien vs. Predator, Hollywood now knows for a fact that these franchise meets franchise movies are profitable. So you're going to see a whole shitload of them coming, just like all the superhero movies that followed X-Men. I like "vs" type things work out really well as video games but not so great as movies.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:29 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
This is just the beginning...So you're going to see a whole shitload of them coming, just like all the superhero movies that followed X-Men.

Some of the really great story-arcs in the comic world were cross-overs and "VS" stories. Depending on who it involves and how it is done, it can kick some serious ass.

Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bjciii wrote:

Some of the really great story-arcs in the comic world were cross-overs and "VS" stories. Depending on who it involves and how it is done, it can kick some serious ass.

Such as...

X-Men vs. Micronauts?
Batman vs. Tarzan?
that pukeariffic mid-90s DC meets Marvel?
the entire Image universe?

The last time I checked, comic crossovers were a giant recipe for "trying to steal my money"
What, "really great" story arcs are you referring to?

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well if you're going to bring up Marvel's "Archie Meets The Punisher" crossover, then yeah... I see your point.

However...

Marvel's "The Secret Wars" from '82 - '85
and
DC's "Joker: Last Laugh" in '01

to name two that were spectacular.

Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Christ! You HAVE to be kidding me. Last Laugh was one of the worst, most convoluted, NON-FUCKING-SENSICAL crossovers of all time. It popped up in my mind as "bad crossover" when you brought this up. Basically, it caused every DC book that came out that month to be out of continuity, not to mention, retarded. I don't read the core Batbooks, and so I had no clue what was going on, only that I wasted $10 because none of my comics actually addressed their storylines. Next you'll be telling me that Bruce Wayne: Murderer/Fugitive/Pimp Daddy was your favorite story arc.

I didn't actually read Secret Wars, but Loki was involved, so I pretty much doubt it was good. After all, Loki was also the same person who decided to use Iceman to power a doomsday machine in, oh yes, another incredibly stupid crossover. Also, it came around the same time as dreadful full-universe crossover, Contest of Champions, which included this homoerotic moment of Dr. Strange cupping Namor's package:

Yes, Hulk, I feel hot, too.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:36 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Archie meets the Punisher? You're kidding right?

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[url=http://www.wordiq.com/definition/The_Punisher_Meets_Archie]
It is real. And terrifying.[/url]

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

... and that wins today's "and now for something completely different" award. Next time, we'll take a look at Fritz The Cat meets Marmaduke.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good Crossovers from Marvel:
- Infinity Gauntlet
- X-Ecutioners Saga
- All of the UniverseX, ParadiseX, EarthX books
- Age of Apocolypse
- Hero's Reborn
- Acts of Vengence
- The Kree/Skrull War

Bad Crossover from Marvel
- Operation Galactic Storm... ugh propaganda

Good Crossovers from DC:
- Crisis on Infinite Earths

Bad Crossovers from DC:
- just about everything else I can think of... but thats not much since I was never much of a DC fan

Good Cross-pubishing crossovers
- the Deathmate Crossover between Image and Valiant
- X-Men vs Teen Titans with Dark Phoenix and Darkseid
- Wolverine vs. Lobo
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Honestly, I just remember what crossed my path. I can't back-up any more arguments due to the fact that it appears that I'm way over my head with you comic geeks (said lovingly). I mentioned two series that I enjoyed, but obviously didn't hit too many fancies Wink

Hell... I used to read Archie more than anything else. I just remember seeing certain cross-overs and thinking "Cool!" To each their own.

France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Actually Bill I really did like Secret Wars and Secret Wars II... the Beyonder and the Molecular Man are two of my all time fav. marvel characters... plus if it werent for the Secret Wars, we wouldnt have had all those cool marvel action figures as kids... Especially with hologram shields!!!
Kerrie
Forum Queen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

France wrote:
Good Crossovers from Marvel:
- Infinity Gauntlet
- X-Ecutioners Saga
- All of the UniverseX, ParadiseX, EarthX books
- Age of Apocolypse
- Hero's Reborn
- Acts of Vengence
- The Kree/Skrull War

The thing I dislike about crossovers is that they force you to buy books that you wouldn't normally. If you read Batman and Superman, and then they have a storyline together, that's great, because A) you already like Batman and Superman and B) you didn't have to spend any extra cash.
Age of Apocalypse occured when I was, I admit, neck-deep in the mutant books, and I loved it. (Granted, this was a very well-thought out, original idea, written with a lot of care and attention, and it it almost universally loved by x-fans) On the other hand, it was almost a purely X-Men story. I don't recall Spiderman of Fan 4 getting blown off course (feel free to correct me tho) I seem to recalled that Universe X or whatever the "everyone else" book was didn't replace any normal mags. Inter-X-Men crossovers are sort of like when Sam or Norm from Cheers showed up on Frasier.

On the other hand, I couldn't handle Onslaught (which led into Heroes Reborn... I recall Onslaught being a crossover, but not HR so much... but if you say so...) and I got pissed off at having to buy other stuff which turned out to be shitty, and quit reading comics for about 2 years.

I don't know if X-Cutioner's Song is good or not, because I didn't care enough from the issue I read to bother trying to find the necessary issues of Avengers/whatever.

In my experience, with crossovers, trying to follow them involves me spending a lot of money on books which I end up not enjoying, or involves an issue or so of me not understanding/enjoying a book I normally want to read. And in comics, where you only get one book a month, 3 months of bad crossover is enough to lose my business.

Then again, that issue where Deadpool crossed over with a 1965 issue of Spiderman was friggin' hilarious.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic