Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Radio is going Astral View next topic
View previous topic
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm surprised no one started a thread on this yet:

Howard Stern announced yesterday morning that he has signed a 5-year contract with Sirius Satellite Radio; to begin in 2006.

Also, Opie and Anthony resume their broadcasting hyjinx in a week or two on XM Satellite Radio.

Thoughts?

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

so now we have to pay to hear the same old shit of stern trying to get lesbians to kiss and take their tops off on radio? that was nice shock radio .... in the 80's!

Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:40 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll preface by stating that I haven't listened to Stern since I was 17 (which is 12 years for those counting) and couldn't care less WHERE he ends up...

That being said, I think it's a good AND bad thing for him. Good because his humour and language obviously pushes the established envelope of radio and broadcasting. With a subscriber service (roughly the radio equivalent of Cable TV), he's allowed MUCH more free reign over his bits, topics, and language. He might hit a new reinassance

However... I believe his audience is comprised of a ton of people who don't have satellite radio and therefore his market share drops like a stone. These people (and I'll just base my argument on the friends I have who listen to him) won't shell out the money to get the equipment needed to hear him every morning. I have asked and they have spoken!

Then again, I could be WAY off because Stern's listeners have proven EXTREMELY loyal and they might start a Satellite Revolution.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 1:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Very true, all of the above.

I have been listening to him when I drive in, in the morning because WSTW and Y100 put me to sleep most of the time. Plus, Stern has turned down the vulgarity and lewdness lately; and has had some interesting discussions lately. If you listen to him before 8am, he's much better.

I was a personal fan of Opie and Anthony much more than I am of Stern. The only problem is that XM is charging a premium above their normal subscription to receive the O&A station, along with a few others.

They did make an interesting point this morning about satellite radio. People are making an analogy to HBO when it was first introduced, and everyone thought that it would tank because you would be paying for something you can get for free already. You're right, this could signify a revolution of sorts, depending on how his fan base reacts. On speculation alone, Sirius' stock jumped once the announcement was made.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I <3 the Y100 morning show. Preston and Steve are awesome. It's the only radio show that makes me want to stay in the car after I get to work.

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 2:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I second that... Steve Morrison makes me laugh my ass off when he channels Michael Jackson.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't get me wrong, I love them too; but sometimes they talk about the most inane crap. Otherwise, very cool, when you get them at the right time. Casey's bachelor party was great, and so was Kathy's bachelorette party.

What I thought was a prick move was that Rick from O&A moved down here and signed up as part of the show until he "mysteriously disappeared" about a week after the XM deal that O&A made. Did they talk about it at all? Nope; it was like he was never there. That, I don't like.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 07, 2004 4:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I miss those guys. I miss my radio antenna. Oh well.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic