Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Neuromancer by William Gibson View next topic
View previous topic
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I started reading this about two weeks ago, after finally finishing the New Jedi Order series (20 books and a year's worth of reading).

Gibson wrote Johnny Mnemonic, and continues with stories set in his cyberpunk world with this book (I'm not sure how soon after JM that he did this book). I'm still trying to figure out the story, but it's basically about an ex-hacker who is given another job by a very connected and wealthy guy. Once he starts work on this job, he soon realizes that an AI is behind most of what is going on.

The writing is still taking some getting used to, as the imagery jumps around a lot, but overall a very good page turner. It's a relatively small book (~200 pages or so). Interestingly enough, it's the first book that I've imagined as anime vs. live action in my head. Very interesting. I attribute it to the cyberpunk world and the imagery of the book (connecting your brain to the 'net and the imagery that you see).

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:18 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

You just started this? It's as old as my girlfriend. I read it twice in high school and about 4 times since then. The first and foremost (and arguably still the best) cyberpunk novel ever written. This book simultaneously began and defined a genre. It definitely takes at least 2 reads to really get it, tho.
My mother always said that shakespeare should be read three times. The first to figure what the hell's going on, the second to appreciate the subtleties of the plot and characters and the third to appreciate the style and beauty of the language used. Neuromancer is similar in a lot of ways.

Later books aren't nearly as gritty and dirty as this one, but still very good. If you want Neuromancer, but funny, try Neal Stephenson. (well...funnier, NM does have its moments)

neight
Brother Neutron Bomb of Serenity

Location: Where the worm does not die and the fire is never quenched.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, what made you think it belonged in "all things gaming?"

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 2:49 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'll give you that. I knew it was old, and relatively good. My friend in high school read Idoru and loved it. Guess I'll be reading it again some time in the near future. I know I'm behind the times on this one, but I guess it's a better book than I'm giving it credit for.

I've also got a book to read after this called Founding Brothers that won the Pulitzer Prize for History. Should be a good read.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
I know I'm behind the times on this one, but I guess it's a better book than I'm giving it credit for.

Well, it did win the 3 big awards for sci fi. The first novel to do so, actually.

Moved to Media

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Obvious comment made.

Followed up by pointless observation from Uty.

A typical Tech House day.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I put it in gaming due to my anime mental imagery and the obvious sci-fi slant of it. I considered Media more of radio/tv/news type of stuff. I am obviously wrong.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 3:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Nope, media applies to the written word as well.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
I considered Media more of radio/tv/news type of stuff.

maybe The Media, but not media...
Stavros
Dimunitive Badass

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:27 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Atleat he did't post it in NEWS. That colum gets some of the lamest excuses for the timely info I would consider actual news- like 'Its my birth day' and such. Just lke mainstream news Its all gone to human interest fluff pieces. Where is the hard journalism I ask you?

Back on good reads. I have been reading the SECRET WAR Marvel comic series. Its pretty keen. Its about all these techno themed villians (guys with lazer gauntlets and ion propulsion boots and all) who it is realized have multi millions in equipment cost but only 10K in the bank. So its traced back to foriegn funding. which means these guys arent just criminals the're terrorists. but the government has dealing in this country so they wont touch it. So Nick Fury goes underground and takes Wolverine, Spiderman, Daredevil, Capitan America, and Luke Cage to kill some techno terrorsts and overthrow a government.

Last edited by Stavros on Thu Nov 04, 2004 7:50 pm; edited 2 times in total
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
Obvious comment made.

I think you've got too many syllables in there. And you forgot to mention something about Nature.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 9:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, Bri, would you also attest that Neuromancer would make a particularly good anime film? Or is that just my opinion?

Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

[sarcasm]I thought they made up that book specifically for the Army of Darkness movie![/sarcasm]

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 10:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW wrote:
Uty wrote:
Obvious comment made.

I think you've got too many syllables in there. And you forgot to mention something about Nature.

I just now realized I should have done that in haiku format.

Uty's point of view
is contrived and hurts your brain.
Shameless plug: Nature!

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
So, Bri, would you also attest that Neuromancer would make a particularly good anime film? Or is that just my opinion?

I don't think anyone ever has and noone probably ever will make a good cyberpunk film. It's always too cheesed out on mirror glasses and techno babble. The focus is never on the characters and the f'ed up but very plausible prediction of society. There was an attempt at a graphic novelization of NM that started out pretty good but was never finished, I believe.
A lot of NM is also in the mind of Case and since noone can do convincing voiceovers anymore that would get all shot to hell.

In short, i think NM would make a great film if it could be done properly, but A) noone could do it properly and B) the property rights have gotten all foobar due to Johnny and noone is allowed to make NM anyway.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic