Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 TV... View next topic
View previous topic
Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Does anyone else watch The West Wing? Just curious.

HyLander42
Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 8:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I do.
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I want to but can never remember the time or channel it's on. Hence, I try to catch up through Netflix. Karate takes up too much of my time during the week.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Sarah
Tech House Lapcandy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 9:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

i love! west wing!!!

i started watching the old eps on bravo, so i'm a little out of wack on the early seasons, but am having a good time flexing my schedule to make sure i get to see the new ones!

"Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I dont watch it but what I have seen has been pretty good.

Brother Neutron Bomb of Serenity

Location: Where the worm does not die and the fire is never quenched.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 16, 2004 10:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I watched it (somewhat religiously) till this season.

Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Why did you stop?

chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 1:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If I ever catch West Wing or Daily Show on TV, I definitely won't be turning it off. However I pretty much never watch TV and never think to so I don't watch it much, however much it doth make with the hard rocking.

gabesilver
Venom Spewing Ass Hat

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I dvr it and watch it when I have time. The current season is upsetting an interesting at the same time. I don't like what they are doing with the characters yet somehow I'm still interested in where things are going to go.

>^_@< ~/-\
neight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 2:58 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Tigger wrote:
Why did you stop?

Mostly because since I moved, I get terrible reception, and I missed a number of the episodes earlier this season due to hockey, so it's hard to watch something I can barely see and don't know the backstory for.

However, since Josh spent all of last season unsucessfully trying to get fired, I wasn't looking forward to this season much anyway...

Crazy Guy with Knife

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the real question ought to be why is anyone still watching West Wing. Here's my theory:

We are all masochists. Aaron Sorkin and Tommy Schlamme both left the show at the end of the fourth season (the season that ended with Zoey getting kidnapped), leaving John Wells (one of the minds behind the current seasons of ER) in control of the show. Anyone who also watches ER should have noticed the similarities.

Aaron Sorkin was the creative as well as the writing talent behind the entire series. He took the series where he wanted, and he was responsible for pretty much every single well-written episode of the show. When he left the show, the writing quality dropped immediately; gone were the brilliant dialogues, and replacing them were standard plot-filling conversations ubiquitous in all other tv shows. Also, as anyone who watched the fifth season knows, the direction of the series got terribly lost, so they had to make up for it with a string of cliché and ludicrous premises, everything from "Toby saves Social Security" to "CNN follows around CJ for a day" to "Donna goes to the Middle East and gets hurt in an explosion". (Though one such episode, "The Supremes", in which Glenn Close is nominated to the Supreme Court, is worth watching.)

Speaking of Donna and the Middle East, let's look at the characters this show has successfully lost, maimed, or totally screwed up since Sorkin left: Hoynes left at the end of the fourth season; replacing him was Bingo Bob Russell, who then took Will Bailey as his chief of staff, thus destroying an otherwise great character. Donna and Fitzwallace go to the Middle East, and terrorists attack their convoy, killing Fitzwallace and putting Donna in the hospital. Shortly thereafter, Leo has a massive heart attack, and now, it seems they've given Bartlet a severe MS attack. Individually, any of these could be very effective dramatic elements. Viewed as a whole, what we have instead is hackery: they're trying to artificially inject drama into a series that used to produce it as a byproduct of great writing. I nearly stopped watching the show after the second episode of this (the sixth) season, just because of how terribly idiotic it's become, which I now attribute to John Well's writing.

The only reason I'm still watching is that they're getting better with the humor, and both Alan Alda's and Jimmy Smits' characters are helping to reverse the trend that Sorkin's departure inadvertently created. But, all that aside, I still watch because, deep down inside, I hate myself.

Last edited by HyLander42 on Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:58 pm; edited 2 times in total
neight

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Appropriately, the tagline at the top of the page as I read Hylander's "I hate myself" post was: "This Can Only End in Tears."

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm now convinced Mike was an angry film critic in a previous life. Although angry anything is subject to consideration as far as his potential incarnations go.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic