Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Smugglers Hid Heroin in Puppies' Bellies View next topic
View previous topic
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:

Rob, you're smarter than that. I'm saying there's no point in being outraged when far worse is happening so we can look better and eat. Cruelty is a byproduct of our society, all the leftist hippies accepted that long ago while others chose to simply ignore it. (Unless the animal is cute, oh no!)

You overflowed my InaneBuffer and my exception handling automatically generated a flippant comment.
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh ... ok then. I totally see how I was being inane. What these smugglers did was wrong! I'll think about this while washing my hair with shampoo that has been used to blind and poison dogs. Yay for corporations! *switches to Republican party*

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
Oh ... ok then. I totally see how I was being inane. What these smugglers did was wrong! I'll think about this while washing my hair with shampoo that has been used to blind and poison dogs. Yay for corporations! *switches to Republican party*

The fact that people are hypocritical is not in any way a great insight. EVERYONE is a hypocrite in some way. Of course there is a reason for that. Try to live your life by some absolute and see how far you get. At any rate the hypocrisy of me not liking puppies being hurt and not giving a fuck about cows is on a totally different level then say democrats demanding MORE recounts in Ohio and an end to them in Washington Razz
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:45 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Did anyone think that the big wrong being committed here was trying to smuggle drugs into the Country? We have some screwed up individuals playing the black market capitalism game (which is far worse than corporations) who will use anyone or anything to make money in any way. At least the shampoo manufacturer abides by the law and only uses animals in ways that society finds acceptable.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh you're totally right there. Silly Democrats demanding more recounts. Really, its shameful. W won in a legit manner this time, so I'm moving on. I also recognize that I'm a hypocrit. I don't know how, but I'm certain there's something my own defense mechanisms don't allow me to see.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 1:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
Oh you're totally right there. Silly Democrats demanding more recounts. Really, its shameful. W won in a legit manner this time, so I'm moving on. I also recognize that I'm a hypocrit. I don't know how, but I'm certain there's something my own defense mechanisms don't allow me to see.

Hehe, like I need more reason to feel schadenfreude Twisted Evil
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:
Did anyone think that the big wrong being committed here was trying to smuggle drugs into the Country?

Drugs will find their way into this country regardless of what form of transport they take. Unfortunately they had to harm innocent creatures to do it. The people who take drugs do so of their free will and deserve to be fucked up.

And yes, Uty, my statement WAS hypocritical; I don't deny that. I was wracking my brain trying to figure out WHY I felt that way, but I can't. I think it's just the societal attitude towards domesticated animals. I mean, if smugglers had put kilos of cocaine in a cow's stomach, would I be as upset? Probably not. I think it would have been screwed-up, but nowhere near the level of screwing with puppies. I make no apologies for my feelings on this either. When I look at my dog, all I see is a creature who wants nothing but to be loved (and no... not in THAT way for you people who would have inevitably replied). Cows are just dumb.

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 2:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

bjciii wrote:
Cows are just dumb.

albeit tasty...
Steveness
His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Stealthr4v3r wrote:
bjciii wrote:
Cows are just dumb.

albeit tasty...

Whoever can invent marinade that can be injected while the cow is alive will be a millionaire.
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Steveness wrote:

Whoever can invent marinade that can be injected while the cow is alive will be a millionaire.

Shocked Brilliant!
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

embalm the cow with marinade before you butcher it. Just make sure you don't use Worchester Sauce.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:44 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

But I like my evil zombie milk ... it comes from evil zombie cows.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Perhaps these evil zombie cows already exist. After all, zombies eat brains.

Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 12:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Wouldn't the ability to empathize with said creature be playing a role here, Uty? Take a picture of a cow...btw, not very tasty for meat products...typically cow meat is used for secondary beef products, and then...take a picture of a puppy...

Ah, those innocent eyes, those floppy ears, that uncoordinated pouncing. Ok, I hope you see my point.

However, respecting an animal as a cognizant being with emotions and feelings and also eating said animal is not as hypocritical as you might think. You assume having respect for said animal precludes you from ending that animals life and then consuming said animal to continue your life.
Plants have a limited cognizance and no qualm is made in eating them. Cognizant being tests performed on plants moving towards light of lower intensity, but stronger and more useful wavelength versus much higher intensity light of all spectrums. Carnivorous plants as well capturing live prey rather than fake or false prey. Plants react to external and internal experiences and make choices, albeit simplified compared to what we believe our choices and knowledge to grasp.

Animals that prey on other animals being killed by humans is against the law, look at lions, tigers, bears, etc. Go figure that commercializing the production of food for human consumption, through scientific innovation ups people's ire. What has me more concerned is the inhumane way that protests are accomplished.
To further explain, the term inhumane centers the basis of comparison to human standards and interests. What about the free choice of the animal? sorry to you if you argue that it has freedom to roam anywhere in the pasture it wants. Compassion should be expressed towards all that exists, including the earth and the air.

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't empathise with cows. I do empathise with dogs. Hell, I own one. However, I can not be convinced that the suffering of one animal is diminished or less relevant than another animal which happens to be cute. Further, dogs are part of animal testing. It seems to me that nearly everyone's reaction is as follows: animal cruelty is ok if it is a) perpetrated against animals that one would prefer not to cuddle with or b) performed by corporations and sanctioned by the government. Or perhaps the average person does not want to come to terms with the fact that our lifestyle and purchasing decisions mandate systematic cruelty. Either way, two words come to mind: trite, moronic.

My point has always been this: I eat meat, I wear leather, and I more than likely use products that have been tested on animals. I have no right to be outraged by animal cruelty until I make the appropriate lifestyle changes.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic