Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Lost 1-15-05 (May Contain Spoilers) View next topic
View previous topic
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:12 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, who's watching this show and what do you think?

I found a synopsis of the comic that Walt was reading online:

Quote:
Green Lantern/Flash: Faster Friends Part I - About fifty years ago an alien spacecraft fell to Earth and in the interests of "national security" the Flash (Jay Garrick) and the Green Lantern (Alan Scott) were called in to eliminate the threat. In they're absolute trust of the government (yes there was a time when people trusted the government, hard to believe isn't it?), they never thought that the alien might be peaceful, and attacked unquestioningly. Having defeated it, Flash and GL were pushed to the background, not even thanked. Realizing the mistake they had made, they hid the space ship in a place where no one would find it. Fifty years later, the alien escapes from the government lab that held it prisoner for so long, and he's pissed. Not only was he locked up for fifty years, but the tests run on him gave him an incurable cancerous disease. The first thing he does is kill the man in charge of his incarceration, then finds Jay and Alan in order to retrieve the ship. When the two disappear, their wives contact the most recent Flash and Green Lantern and tell them the story. The boys aren't happy to be working together, but concede that it's necessary to save Jay and Alan. Using his ring, Kyle is able to pinpoint Alan's signature and find the buried space ship. The alien apparently has some pretty powerful psionic abilities and forces Alan and Jay to protect him while he sends out a signal and sets the ship for self-destruct. Kyle and Wally manage to save Jay and Alan, but don't stop the ship from exploding. The boys seem to have saved the day, but the alien's final words hang heavy in their minds, something about it being "too late for all of us."

I think Walt is being lifted right out of that twilight zone episode where the kid controls the entire town with his mind, but he doesn't know it yet.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Havn't watched the show. A replacement Green Lantern is feasable since all the power is in the ring. But another Flash? Ridiculous.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ok, here's what briley and i have been chatting about....

MixolAtWork: did you see it!
BigSado: what?
BigSado: lost?
MixolAtWork: yeah!
BigSado: of course
MixolAtWork: http://www.fortunecity.com/tattooine/obiwan/92/continuity.html check out green lantern/flash faster friends part 1. that's the comic that walt is reading
BigSado: i think they are on an island and people are fuckin with their heads
BigSado: they only other time walt was reading the comic book was when the polar bear showed up for the first time
MixolAtWork: i think walt is the kid from that twilight zone where he controls everything with his mind, but doesn't know it yet
BigSado: he reads the book about the bird, the bird dies
BigSado: the thinks about the knife, knife goes into the tree
MixolAtWork: yep
BigSado: and the other pics in the book
MixolAtWork: very twilight zone
BigSado: ....were of a man being tourtured - Sayid
BigSado: and a bubble city
BigSado: they are on a bubble island!
MixolAtWork: we've got to get that issue!
BigSado: so they are aliens?.....
MixolAtWork: maybe? or some gov't research lab that had aliens
BigSado: oh! and claire's baby was taken cause he is "special" too
MixolAtWork: robotic dinosaur alien baby
BigSado: and here's what else....
BigSado: i totally think the whole thing is a mind fuck
BigSado: when locke filmed the scene where he saw the "monster" they said to act as if he saw the most beautiful thing ever
BigSado: and he had just gone from a parapalegic to walking just fine.... weird.
BigSado: and 2 episodes ago
BigSado: boone halucinated the thing about his sister
BigSado: and locke said "is that what IT made you see"
BigSado: and i can only assume that he is reffering to the monster
MixolAtWork: i thought he was referring to the stuff he put in his hair
MixolAtWork: some hallucinagen
MixolAtWork: maybe he means the island/monster
BigSado: oh
BigSado: hrm
BigSado: didn't think about that
MixolAtWork: maybe
BigSado: and the pod buried in the ground could be the spaceship all the aliens came in
MixolAtWork: i definitely think someone has taken about 4 or 5 twilight zone episodes and smashed them all together
BigSado: yeah
MixolAtWork: or an entrance to the research lab
BigSado: ooh
MixolAtWork: ALSO! this morning they were talking about how you never see the polar bear and the dog at the same time
MixolAtWork: so they were thinking when vincent comes back he might have cuts on his paw and jaw
BigSado: oooh!
BigSado: good call!

obsessed? not quite the word i was looking for... consumed might be better.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BigSado: maybe the french lady's map is to the lab!
MixolAtWork: yeah!
MixolAtWork: black rock!
BigSado: oooh!
BigSado: black rock could be the lab
BigSado: that's why she's so fucked up
BigSado: it could be like in the movie Dark City
BigSado: they have all been implanted with fake memories of fake lives
MixolAtWork: ooooh!
BigSado: now let's see how they react when they get put together on a deserted island
BigSado: well, mostly deserted

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 9:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

maybe they all have weird mutant/psychic powers and have to discover them. the psychic specifically told clair to get on that particular plane, how could she have known it would crash if walt didn't decide to do it until a couple days before the plane crashed? not sure what the timeline for that was.

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If we were to settle on 10 year-old Walt being the unwitting puppet-master here, we'd have to ask ourselves why he would want the plane to crash (or, possibly, why he'd want his mother to die). He was being taken away from the only father he's ever known to a place he's never been before with no familiar points. That might be enough for a 10 year old to fantasize about something happening to not allow arrival at the destination. Depending on how long it took Michael to convince Walt to get on that plane, that could also account for the psychic knowing about the plane. If it happened in the same amount of time, a decision by this incident-weaver (Walt) could generate a HUGE amount of psychic power that this Aussie palm-reader might feel. I can't remember off the top of my head just when this psychic contacted Claire specifically for the trip, but I believe it was either the morning of or the night before.

As for the rest of the characters, I really think Sawyer is the most interesting. I just wish he would have more to do on the show besides be the pack-rat dick that wants to get in Kate's pants. The show that "introduced" him was my favorite so far because it had a few different paths and led you in a bunch of different directions about his motivation. If this island is a place that's making all this happen rather than just one person (Walt), then maybe Sawyer will meet up with the guy who conned his parents and caused his life course. That seems to be his driving wish.

Now I'm completely confused about that damn toy plane Kate got from the safety-deposit box. Any answers on that one???

DanMeltzer
Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

if they're just ripping off comics than the island is the Savage Land from XMen. All kinds of ridiculous stuff happens there, with dinosaurs etc., and Xavier can walk while there.

Still, I think that's unlikely.

I can't buy the Walt as the Twilight Zone kid theory, and here's why; If he's that upset and depressed and pissed off etc. to cause a plane crash, why would he let that many people live? And he's not exactly all that happy on the island, so why doesn't he make someone rescue them? And why would he let Sawyer be such a jerk, and why would there be people who spoke a language he couldn't understand and ISN'T the language he's reading in that comic book? Too many issues with that.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 10:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

It's like he has just enough power to cause weird things to happen, or just coincidences. Dunno.

No clue about the airplane either. Do you think they'll do more episodes about the same person's history eventually? Or just end it once we've gotten to know everyone a little bit.

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They've already done 2 about Jack and 2 about Kate, so I think it's safe to assume that they will do multiple eps about people if it's necessary. I hear they are going to try and do multiple seasons without a rescue, so it's kind of like David Fincher's "Gilligan's Island" in that case Very Happy

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

bjciii wrote:
I can't remember off the top of my head just when this psychic contacted Claire specifically for the trip, but I believe it was either the morning of or the night before.

Now I'm completely confused about that damn toy plane Kate got from the safety-deposit box. Any answers on that one???

ok, so the psychic originally told claire one thing, then the DAY OF told her to catch the flight.

as for kate's plane, maybe she has mind controlling powers too. maybe she thought about the plane going down and it did.

i saw an interview with one of the characters and all they said was "pay attention to the comic book walt reads." all i can think of now is that they are all characters from comic books thrown together in one weird story.

also, did you notice in the episode 2 weeks ago when boone was in the police station, sawyer got dragged in in the background. sawyer said to kate at the very beginning that they were connected. i think they are ALL connected somehow.

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 11:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

DanMeltzer wrote:
if they're just ripping off comics than the island is the Savage Land from XMen. All kinds of ridiculous stuff happens there, with dinosaurs etc., and Xavier can walk while there.

Still, I think that's unlikely.

I can't buy the Walt as the Twilight Zone kid theory, and here's why; If he's that upset and depressed and pissed off etc. to cause a plane crash, why would he let that many people live? And he's not exactly all that happy on the island, so why doesn't he make someone rescue them? And why would he let Sawyer be such a jerk, and why would there be people who spoke a language he couldn't understand and ISN'T the language he's reading in that comic book? Too many issues with that.

well, that is interesting. locke is like xavier. he was a bald parapalegic and a leader of the group. oooh, i wonder who wolverine is. mmm, hope it is sawyer. mmmm, wolverine.

sorry, got sidetracked.

anyways, as for walt, i agree with bri, i don't think he really conciously knows what he's doing. locke had to explain to walt what "your mind's eye" is. so i think he is just beginning to figure out what he can do.

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 1:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SelfHlFl: http://www.tvtome.com/tvtome/servlet/EpisodeGuideSummary/showid-24313/Lost/
SelfHlFl: not GREAT synopsiseseseseses, but good enough

This should help out with the 1 or 2 that I missed.

bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

ooh! ooh!

there's an upcoming spisode called Outlaws which is Sawyer-centric. it guest starts Robert Patrick! maybe the terminator lives on the island too!

and, btw, the guy who kidnapped claire, his name is Ethan Rom. switch those letters around and you get "Other Man." creepy, huh?

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The names are definitely significant, i'm sure they all are somehow. Jack's last name is Shepard, John Locke, Roussea, etc. Sayid seems obsessed with the black rock, dan and i think it's some muslim thing.

and we have to wait til feb 9th to catch the next new one. yaaaararrrrr!!!

DanMeltzer
Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

okay, there's a lot going on here. Lets slow down, and talk about what we've got.

Fictional characters are not named by accident.
John Locke is named after philosopher John Locke for a reason. The french woman's name is Rousseau, not a coincidence.
Jack Sheppard, perhaps an allusion to a particular biblical Shepherd.
Sawyer is a liar and a cheat (I've never read it, but I'm pretty sure Tom Sawyer was at least one of those two)
Boone, allusion to historical woodsman Daniel Boone?
Walt is at his best as a dreamer and is into art, I'm thinking of childlike dreamer Walt Disney who also made the impossible happen...

We're lead to believe something is up with the comic book, and with the "Black Rock". The one who's most into figuring out whats up with "Black Rock" is Sayid, the arab. a quick google of "Black Rock Muslim" will bring up a plethora of info about a muslim holy object called The Black Stone of Mecca, a black stone which supposedly absolves muslims of their sin, it fell to earth when Adam fell from Paradise... Or it could be a reference to the Dome of The Rock, the site from which muslims believe Muhammed ascended to heaven.

It's pretty clear much of the story is about everyone absolving themselves of their sins (interestingly enough, Kate and Charlie had to confess their sins to Jack before they can get past it). The question is, this points to that they're in some sort of pre-death state, but I don't think anyone wants to accept that as what's going on, so what is it?

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic