Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 NHL = RIP View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: Will The National Hockey League recover from this cancellation?

Yes
52%
 52%  [ 13 ]
No
48%
 48%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 25

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Officially the 2004-2005 season has been canceled. Reasons abound, but it all boils down to greed and money.

Lord Stanley is truly dead.

eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The NHL can recover, but it may take several years to do so.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It was already in a coma to begin with. What's your definition of recover? At this point they might as well scrap the whole league and start over with an XHL. More violence, cheaper tickets and free beer until the end of the 2nd!

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:23 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think if these athletes spent one day working one of those hard and tedious jobs that pay minimum wage (and of course are reserved for the economically disadvantaged) they would change their viewpoint on what they deserve for playing a sport professionally that they used to play recreationally.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
MajorKong
Sentient Acronym Storage Facility

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Who cares? It was bound to happen sooner or later - these athletes are being paid absolutely insane wages. And don't give me that "well, they only make that money for a few years" stuff - why should they be entitled to coast the rest of their lives while the rest of us need to crank along into their 60's (or beyond) to make ends meet?

Screw em.

Manuevers without Signal is just camping in the woods.
eli
Das Thread Killer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

MajorKong wrote:
Who cares? It was bound to happen sooner or later - these athletes are being paid absolutely insane wages. And don't give me that "well, they only make that money for a few years" stuff - why should they be entitled to coast the rest of their lives while the rest of us need to crank along into their 60's (or beyond) to make ends meet?

Screw em.

The money is there. Would you rather have the owners keep it all. There is no way that they are lowering ticket prices. As long as they are filling the stadium the tickets are at the right price. Let the Athletes get paid.

Back to the point- I would like to see a truly international hockey league (Yes I am implying that Canada is not international). It would be great to see North American and a European Confrences. Oh yeah, and free beer until the end of the second.

"All this science, I don't understand. It's just my job 5 days a week"- Elton John
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*sob* Sad

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

They are all greedy bastards, period. The salary cap was the best thing that happened to football (more teams on an even level). It follows that for all teams in either the hockey or baseball leagues to stay competitive, they need to institute it.

The players saw it as a pay cut for them because before they were only limited to how deep the pockets of their individual teams were. The owners would be hoarding more money (at least at first, for a few teams)at first; but it would keep them from having to increase the ticket prices for a good, long time. At least in theory.

I'm not saying that the owners are right, but the players shouldn't be bitching so much.

I hope to fucking Christ that baseball is next. I hate those whiny little bitches. Any sport that allows a guy who is 40 lbs overweight and has one testicle to make millions should not be considered a professional sport. And the Yankees can purchase other teams with the extra money they have; while the Expos were forced to go under.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
jewles
Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The internet tells me that things are looking up

http://www.nhl.com/news/2005/07/230330.html

http://tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=130274
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Indeed, an agreement has been made 'in principle.' Documents to be ratified are in the works and should hopefully be signed next week sometime. The most interesting note, according to rumor mill, is that it looks like the draft order may be completely and evenly randomized, which means Sid the Kid could go anywhere. Makes it pretty interesting.

jewles
Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The second article indicated it would be randomized but not exactly equal. It would be biased towards the teams that have been doing badly.
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The Yellow Dart wrote:
I hope to fucking Christ that baseball is next. I hate those whiny little bitches. Any sport that allows a guy who is 40 lbs overweight and has one testicle to make millions should not be considered a professional sport.

Well first off, what does having only one testicle have to do with anything about a sport being professional or how much a player would get paid? And two, if that is an issue for you, then why are you following Lance Armstrong and the tour de france so closely??

Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The owners should sign today at 3pm, live press conference will be broadcast on nhl.com and immediately following will be the draft ceremony at 4pm live on nhl.com. they're doing the entirety of the draft behind closed doors and then revealing the results in reverse order to make it more interesting.

The draft is going to be something like 48 named balls for the 30 teams, where several teams have 2 or 3 balls. I believe the Flyers have two. The details can be seen by watching yesterday's press conference of the NHLPA signing the new CBA.
There are several proposed rules changes that will be discussed and announced today after the owners sign. The two most interesting changes, imho, are touch-up offsides and moving the nets closer to the back boards. It'll be interesting to see what changes are agreed to and how they will affect the game.

YAY!!!

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 9:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW wrote:
The draft is going to be something like 48 named balls for the 30 teams, where several teams have 2 or 3 balls. I believe the Flyers have two.

Unfortunately they only have 1. There's gonna have to be a LOT of luck in the draw for us to get Sidney Crosby! They're calling him the best prospect since Mario Lemeiux

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Pittsburgh is getting him. Levelhead will be thrilled. Flyers are drawing 20th, Devils 23rd. On the plus side we should be able to see Sid play in philly 5 times. And the Wild, my western team, got 4th draft, not shabby.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic