Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 My sister is coming to philly! View next topic
View previous topic
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:39 am Reply with quoteBack to top

My sister just got accepted at Jefferson medical school and is moving all the way from washington state. She is going to have lots of questions about life in philly so I told her so sign up here and post some questions for all ya'll native types.
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 10:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Don't leave anything that looks like a wrapped xmas present in plain sight in your car.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Better yet, don't leave your car.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

she doesn't have one so i dont think it will be a problem Razz
High_Lord_Galen
Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 11:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

congrats on jefferson...we actually know some peeps that go there, they are doing residencies this year, but they may be able to field some questions as well.

Will have to bug alan...no, not glazer.

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 12:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

congrats to the sis. If she needs recommendations, especially on places to live in center city, feel free to e-mail me. I lived in center city once, back when I was YOUNG. Very Happy

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, my friend Allan is going there. I don't know if Jay is alive, but he might have some info too.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
karisamd
Just Lurking

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 6:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hello! Thanks, Rob, for the message board Smile

So where IS a good (and affordable, if it exists) place to live in center city? Is it safe, or can it be? Apartments there look REALLY different than they do here in WA, so I don't really know what to look for.

Is public transportation reliable? Is it expensive?

Thanks!!!

Karisa (Rob's sister)
Vanblade
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

calling for reinforcements eh? well, two can play at that game!
allan120
Just Lurking

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 7:12 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Center City is a great place to live. The area around Jefferson is pretty safe, but if I were a single woman I would probably refrain from walking home alone.

Are you set on living off campus? The Barringer and Orlowitz apartments aren't that bad for the price, plus you get to interact with more of your classmates that way. You can find decent single bedrooms off-campus for $800+ and doubles for $1300+.

Subway tokens are $1.30/ride. I haven't taken the bus. I have taken the light rail SEPTA trains to NY (via NJT) and down to Delaware. The wonderful thing about Jefferson is its location--walking distance to Olde City, Chinatown, and South Street. You can take the subway to Penn. A lot of people split cabs because it ends up being about $1-2 per person for four people.

Center City is a very liveable city. You have to be here and wander around to realize it is not as hideous as certain other cities (*cough* Baltimore *cough*). I'd recommend getting an apartment anywhere as far south as maybe Lombard or South, as far north as Market and within 7th-13th streets.

I can also answer your questions over the phone. The last two years have been an incredible experience...very taxing, but I've met tons of great people and had a lot of fun.

Last edited by allan120 on Tue Sep 13, 2005 5:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Steveness
His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Please refer to http://www.techhouse.us/Forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=3465 for more info.
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2005 11:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

allan120 wrote:
Center City is a great place to live. The area around Jefferson is pretty safe, but if I was a single woman I would probably refrain from walking home alone.

Are you set on living off campus? The Barringer and Orlowitz apartments aren't that bad for the price, plus you get to interact with more of your classmates that way. You can find decent single bedrooms off-campus for $800+ and doubles for $1300+.

Subway tokens are $1.30/ride. I haven't taken the bus. I have taken the light rail SEPTA trains to NY (via NJT) and down to Delaware. The wonderful thing about Jefferson is its location--walking distance to Olde City, Chinatown, and South Street. You can take the subway to Penn. A lot of people split cabs because it ends up being about $1-2 per person for four people.

Center City is a very liveable city. You have to be here and wander around to realize it is not as hideous as certain other cities (*cough* Baltimore *cough*). I'd recommend getting an apartment anywhere as far south as maybe Lombard or South, as far north as Market and within 7th-13th streets.

You can email me at allan.simpao(at)jefferson.edu. I can also answer your questions over the phone. The last two years have been an incredible experience...very taxing, but I've met tons of great people and had a lot of fun.

yay allan, thanks Smile

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
karisamd
Just Lurking

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 12:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hi, thanks for the recommendations about how close is actually close to the school. Al, thanks for the apartment suggestions! Right now I'm making a list of places that look good, then I'm planning to move out there maybe end of June/beginning of July to look for places to live and get settled before orientation. I can't really live on Campus, but that sure would have been more convenient.

Another question...how much do utilities run in Philadelphia?
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 3:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

karisamd wrote:
Another question...how much do utilities run in Philadelphia?

Well that's pretty open ended cause 1) some apt places include things like electricity, water, sewer and stuff and 2) depends on the type (gas/electric heat) and obviously your usage.

Generally Comcast cable is $40 - 45 ish for the standard, I think around $20 for basic. Comcast high-speed internet (4 Mbps) is $42.95 and Verizon DSL (768 Kbps) is $29.99. Electricity I would guess to be around $40 to $50 for a 2 Br apt. Phone is usually $40 for a good total package no matter who you get it from.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic