Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Star Wars III movie review [Duh, Spoilers] View next topic
View previous topic
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:43 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So now that everyone has had some time to see it twice and mull it over, what's the final verdict on 3?

I'm having trouble with 3 parts of the movie:

There's a definite lack of motivation on Annikin's part. Hmm, being a Jedi is kinda cool, but let's try this dark side thing on for size cuz a bad dream woke me up....

She dies of a broken heart? Gimme a break.

Does Vader have to have that Frankenstein moment at the end of the movie? C'mon, did they really put that in there or was I hallucinating?

Of course, fx kicked ass, and so did yoda...

Mother Superior

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 3:47 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

before this goes too much further, you might want to put a spoiler tag in the title...
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

SPOILER
-----------------------------

I'm not really in a mood to write a review right now. Anakin's motivation was simple and logical enough (and actually began in Episode 2). Basically, from all the Jedi telling him that he was the Chosen One, he felt that he could do more than the Jedi Masters were letting him do. As such, he became resentful and frustrated, since he was being held back; in his eyes.

The frustration lead him look for other, non-Jedi mentors. One came about in the form of Chancellor Palpatine, who saw both Anakin's power and frustration. He was able to use Anakin's frustration to woo him to the dark side of the Force.

At the same time, he discovered that Amidala was pregnant with twins and that she would die when giving birth. Palpatine told Anakin he could help him use the force to save Amidala during birth so that they could all live together. By the end of the movie, Anakin became desperate to do anything in his power to save his wife and children.

His desperation finally moved him to the Dark Side, which motivated his slaughter of the Jedi on Coruscant and of the Trade Federation leaders on the lava planet. Unfortunately for Anakin, when Amidala came to save him, Obi stowed away without her knowledge, making him think that she brought him along. As an act of revenge, he choked Amidala and fought Obi.

Amidala didn't really die of a broken heart. It was more like she had complications at birth but didn't want to fight to stay alive; since her husband was essentially dead to her. Anakin didn't know if she lived or died and neither did Palpatine. However, Palpatine used that fact to fully pull Vader to the Dark Side by telling him that he killed Amidala.

The Frankenstein part was put in there to show that the only way to keep Vader alive was to place him in an artificial respirator, etc. to help sustain his life. It also explains some of the body mods that show up at the end of Return of the Jedi when Luke talks to Vader before he (Vader) dies.

Also, if you want more info on Anakin's motivations, watch the Clone Wars animated DVDs. They serve to bridge the gap between Episodes II and III and make more sense of things. I know they are basically anime, but I'm pretty sure they were created with Lucas' input and blessing.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
ironduke
Giant Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Spoiler:::::

Two things about the Birth of Vader, first yes it was a nod to Frankinstein, remember the entire series is a take on the 1930's scifi serials. Lucas is fan of the old movies of the 30's and 40's, and there are several sequences in Star Wars that are nods to famous movies.

Second, he was probably moving like that because his legs had just been cut off and replaced with prostetics. Its amazing that he was even able to stand that soon, much less try to walk, most amputee's take months of physical therapy to learn to walk again with their new legs.

Satanist Bitch

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I actually liked how the movie(s) explained Anakin's path to the dark side. It was born out of jealosy, ambition and love. What I really hated was the writing and acting of the scene where he becomes Darth Vader (no not when he gets the suit but rather the title). He is torn by all his emotions but all of a sudden he totally bows down to Palpatine and starts calling him master. He submits to his every command including killing children. I know it can be explained by the fact that the dark side of the force made him do it but I don't buy it. Evil is much more nuanced than that and it comes down to plain old bad writing. Lucas is a good story teller and a shit writer.
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 2:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

jewles wrote:
Lucas is a good story teller and a shit writer.

amen.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

fieemully
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:10 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I was just chatting to a friend of mine who is a HUGH star wars fan and she said she liked it, but it had one flaw that was very disappointing.

She said she wanted to see darth vaders lightsaber turn red. She saw it as the true turning point. However it never does.

Now that is a detailed person.

Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:38 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fieemully wrote:
HUGH

huge?

Vanblade
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 3:42 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

apparently she isn't a detailed person
ironduke
Giant Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 4:14 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Oh god......the inner geek....its raging to be free......
Lightsabers don't just change color based on which side of the force you use. The color of a lightsaber blade depends on the type of crystal inside. Every lightsaber is unique because they are built by hand. The red color in a Sith's lightsaber is due to the fact that they prefer to use artifical crystals which make the blade red. I think it has something to do with their philosophy about controling the force. Anyway Anakin's lightsaber was still blue when he became Darth Vader because it was the same one he had used as a jedi. Later after he fries in the lava and Obi Wan takes his old one he builds a new one which is the red on he uses in 4, 5, and 6.

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Vanblade wrote:
apparently she isn't a detailed person

Nope I'm not. Hence why i didn't really notice the spelling error. I like words and letters but i'm not big on their order. I think it comes from when i was little. I moved countries when i was young and my american english spelling got confuzzled (see i did that one on purpose) Very Happy

thanks E for pointing that hugh mistake out

Oh damn i did it again, I mean huge. Very Happy

Mistress E

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fieemully wrote:
confuzzled

confuzzled is definitely a word! right along with soonishly Very Happy

High_Lord_Galen
Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 12:13 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

to add to the level of geek...

when a lightsaber is constructed, the user will channel the force to harmonize or bond oneself with the crystal. The belief on how one interacts or manipulates the force will determine the color of the crystal used in construction.

I think green is for a spiritual relationship with the force (an extension of self), blue is for using the force as a tool (controlled by logic), Red is for using the force as a tool (controlled by emotions), purple is a hybrid of blue/red. there is a site out there somewhere that explains, cannot find it right now.

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 12:48 am Reply with quoteBack to top

ok, so worst line of the movie:

Darth Vader wrote:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!11!

What do yah think?
ironduke
Giant Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 6:53 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, Vader's irrational fear of 11 was quite out of character. Very Happy

Just kidding, But I think if fits him, I mean he just lost 3 limbs, the ability to breathe unassisted, and according to his master he just killed the one thing in his life that he truely loved.

Plus Skywalkers are notorious whiners.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic