Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 World of Warcraft View next topic
View previous topic
JasonT
Supreme Overlord of Bitchassery

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I finally started playin this game and am damn impressed. It feels so much like warcraft and d&d fused in some awesome way. Does anyone around here play? I'm only level 5 but hope to get a bit higher and rock it out.

reworking portfolio...
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 9:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

there's a large group of friendly guys over at http://www.gamerswithjobs.com who play. I dunno their servers, but if you're only level 5, you wouldn't lose much switching over.

dilbfan
Tech House Wannabe

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Guliz - lvl 24 Troll Hunter on Eonar Smile

I'm really enjoying it as well. The Battlegrounds are also open now, so I can PVP without getting destroyed by lvl 60s. Smile I think so far from what I've seen the game is really well done, with most features not detracting from the fun.

JasonT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Night Elf Druid 26, rockin out in capture the flag, working on improving gear and status in PvP, only a private now.

Dwarf Rogue 21, just build my first mechanical squirrel with engineering and working on making some new stuff once I find all the right components. With the new ability to make poison too, this character should be quite fun to play.

Undead Warlock 7, still getting the feel for how to play the character but it's fun summoning imps and watching them do my bidding.

Game is still awesome and just seems to get better. I've done about half of the dungeons so far and will start doing them more once I get a bit higher in level.

reworking portfolio...
Vanblade
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:08 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

really...if I had the time and money I'd probably start playing too

it looks really cool
jeboleth
Slutzilla

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:39 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Former lvl 60 Rogue, lvl 42 warrior and one of each other class and race on various servers, none about lvl 15.

I say former because I quit.

My main advice, dont rush to lvl 60 and try to avoid the high end bullshit of the game when you reach lvl 60.

I loved the game when I started. Once I hit 60 and started the high end content my distaste for the game grew and lead me to quiting. I was in the best guild on the server so we killed everything more times than I can count.

As I mentioned my main was a rogue so if you have any questions about the class or the game in general either ask here or PM me. As long as its not pvp related I can probably answer it for you.

I hate pvp so in the 8 month spawn I played the game I had 4 honorable kills, 3 cause I was in a pvp group and 1 cause I accidentally killed an undead rogue when my eviscerate went off a split second after my mob died and it hit the rogue who was flagged pvp and in range for the evis. 5 combo point evis too, funny damn thing. I was laughing for a good 10 minutes.
JasonT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 1:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm a big fan of Warsong Gulch and the pvp capture the flag there. I just can't get enough of it.

reworking portfolio...
Miles
Evil Lurks in the Heart of Me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2005 8:20 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

So I'm thinking of getting this game. Any advice? I'm thinking I'll start with an orc warlock. From what I've read enchanting seems really cool even if its hard and will make me poor untill later levels.
JasonT

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 12:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

It all depends on what kind of game you want to play. Warlocks are fun to play but are hard to play really offensively due to the long cast times involved in their spells.

Enchanting is quite a money pit. You can offset it by taking up a gathering profession also, like herbalism. It pays off later on though, like engineering. You get some great enchants you can charge people for.

Lemme know what server you wanna play on. I've got characters on 3 servers now. Alliance on hyjal and nathrezim, and horde on firetree

reworking portfolio...
spin
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 2:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

silly Miles, play Dark Age instead! Warlocks there are much better at killing people. And if you really want to do enchanting (I'm guessing that's like putting magic abilities on armor/weapons?), we have that too Smile

edit - best part is, they just started 3 new servers. So if you start now, you won't be far behind.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2005 4:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

None of these magic systems can ever come close to the awesomeness that is Thaumaturgy!

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
jeboleth
Slutzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Path of Flame ftw

Miles, warlocks are a lot of fun. I made an undead warlock and got him up to lvl 24. The beginning levels are a little rough, but once you get your voidwalker pet the game becomes so much easier. The voidwalker has a taunt ability that can be set to autocast, meaning he will do it as often as he can. The warlock has a couple of dot's (Damage Over Time spells). Simply send your pet in, cast your two or three dot's and then sit back and enjoy. Occasionally you may have to heal your pet, or if you get bored you can start nuking. I was able to solo to lvl 24 and could have gone further if I hadnt quit the game.

I chose undead cause I think they look cool and I enjoyed their beginning quests. The Orc stuff is fun too.

As for enchanting, the main reason it is a money sink is that instead of selling those neat green items to players or merchants, you disechant them to get the materials used to cast enchantments. The problem is that at the lower levels noone wants to pay for the enchantments. To increase your skill you can either keep recasting the same enchantments on yourself, or go to an area and shout that you are offer enchants for free and list the enchants. People will sometimes come over to get their stuff enchanted and tip you a few silver. Thats how I was able to more on enchanting with my undead warlock. At the higher levels you can sell the materials on the auction house and sell higher level enchants for gold.
jeboleth
Slutzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 7:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you guys havent seen theme, the following are two excellent resources for WOW in general.

http://www.thottbot.com - you can search for any item, quest or npc and find a ton of information. I would say 95% of the quests are in their database and they include the quest, the solution, items you need for the quest and maps where the npc's and items can be found. Also its a good resource for recipies and information about the different classes, skills and talents.

http://wow.allakhazam.com - same type of page as thotbott.com but a little slower and not as well laid out. The advantage though is that its updated more requently.

If anyone is playing a hunter, www.goodintentionsguild.info/hunters.html is your ultimate resource for your pet. It oulines each type of pet, their stats and their abilities.
Miles
Evil Lurks in the Heart of Me!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 9:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So I bought the game last night. I gave Rob the free 10 day pass so he's playing to. The people he works with are on eonar so we both went there to start. One of the people I work with is on hyjal so I've been thinking of starting a character there to. I don't mind delaying my gratification so if playing a warlock/enchanter is hard to start that dosn't bother me. As long as they kick ass later on. At the moment I'm thining of pairing my enchanting with either tailoring or skinning/cooking.
jeboleth
Slutzilla

PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:05 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you want, I can stop by sometime and give you some tips about playing a warlock Smile Gotta feed my addiction somehow Smile

Tailoring is good to take since you can wear the armor you make and the materials are dropped by humanoids. Occasionally you may need some leather for a pattern, but if thats the case just find someone that has skinning and either ask them to skin a creature for you, or buy it off the Auction House.

Cooking, First Aid and Fishing do not count against your total so you can take all 3. Cooking is beneficial for you. Certain foods you make give you a bonus to your stam and spirit for 15 minutes. This means that your total hit points will increase and your hp/mana regen will increase. The more hit points you have the better, since you can turn hp into mana. First Aid is good as well, although if you do tailoring you will have to split your materials between the too. For each character I made (and there were alot) I always worked on first aid. Fishing sucks Smile Its boring and not really beneficial. Some people say you need fishing to build up your cooking skill. I disagree as I was able to get 300 cooking without a high fishing skill.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic