Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 I-Pod vs MP3 Player View next topic
View previous topic
Poll :: I-Pod or MP3 Player

I-Pod
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Generic MP3 Player
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

Snouffman
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:25 am Reply with quoteBack to top

What are the major differences between an I-Pod and just a generic MP3 player? Pros and cons? Go!
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:42 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think it depends on what you want out of it and how you feel about using third party apps to move the music. A lot of generic players in the past used MusicMatch or Nero to process/move the music; which I thoroughly hate. MusicMatch especially can be a giant pain in the ass.

iTunes isn't much better on a PC, but it's close. My fiancee got an iPod for Christmas and she's had some issues with the program; mostly because I keep the music on my secondary hard drive in my computer and she's trying to add music from her computer over the network. I have yet to see an mp3 player app that is network-friendly when it comes to finding and grabbing music.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Snouffman
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 12:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Also, what's the difference between an I-Pod and an I-Pod Nano or I-Pod Shuffle?
neight
Brother Neutron Bomb of Serenity

Location: Where the worm does not die and the fire is never quenched.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:16 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Snouffman wrote:
Also, what's the difference between an I-Pod and an I-Pod Nano or I-Pod Shuffle?

goodness, if only there were some way of finding out detailed statistics which might be useful in such a comparison!
www.apple.com/ipod

Tech House Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

neight wrote:
Snouffman wrote:

goodness, if only there were some way of finding out detailed statistics which might be useful in such a comparison!
www.apple.com/ipod

When people are finally able to download learning into their brains I want the first thing that everyone gets to be 'Google-Fu for Dummies.'

For fuck sake!

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:17 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

if i could have figured out a way to fit my 250+ cd's and 6000 mp3's on one cd maybe i would have bought a discman... But hey, if you only have one cd i bet that discman works great.
Snouffman
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

neight wrote:
Snouffman wrote:

www.apple.com/ipod

I read the crap on apple and also on best buy and some other sites, you big douche, and they don't answer my questions. The I-Pod has a hard drive, while the nano and the shuffle (which apparently has total control over which order you listen to your songs in) have memory cards/sticks. Both, however seem to hook up to a usb port to transfer data. So what's the difference? I mean, is it mainly the amount of space? Do I HAVE to use some specfic program to get my MP3s onto the ipods? Can I just download the 400+ songs I have in winamp to my i-pod or do I have to get them from apple on i-tunes? Same thing with generic MP3 players. can i just download mp3s off of my computer or what?

The propaganda pages don't answer all the important questions.
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I heard this second hand so someone correct me if I am wrong: The Ipods will only download/snyc songs from one computer, that you cant take your ipod of songs to another PC and download them to that PC. And maybe if you tried it would erase all the songs??? Is some or all of that right?

I've got a RIO Sport with 256 MB of flash, its good for exercising with the armband and easy to wear earpieces (that loop around the ear and dont fall off while jogging). It holds like 75 songs. Everyone who jogs with a full Ipod says its too big to exercise with, so go with the mini or nano if u will exercise with it.

Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

pomenti wrote:
I heard this second hand so someone correct me if I am wrong: The Ipods will only download/snyc songs from one computer, that you cant take your ipod of songs to another PC and download them to that PC. And maybe if you tried it would erase all the songs??? Is some or all of that right?

I've got a RIO Sport with 256 MB of flash, its good for exercising with the armband and easy to wear earpieces (that loop around the ear and dont fall off while jogging). It holds like 75 songs. Everyone who jogs with a full Ipod says its too big to exercise with, so go with the mini or nano if u will exercise with it.

LIES!!! all of them LIES!!! the iPod will delete all of your music if you're careless when you try to hook it up to another computer. iTunes has an option in it, to automatically sync the iPod with what's on the computer, but you can turn that off and make it a manual sync so it won't automatically change the music on your iPod when you plug it in (iTunes will also tell you that the iPod is linked to another computer, and ask you if you want to link it to that computer, which will cause it to replace your music with whatever's in that copy of iTunes). It's true that the iPod is not meant to share music between computers, but with a simple little program that is available on all platforms for free after about 3 seconds of looking you'll be able to download music off of the iPod.

On top of that, I have a full sized iPod (gen3), and the few times I've exercised I have used it with no problem. It's really not that big, certainly smaller than any walkman or cd player that people used to use. My sister had a full sized one for years before her boyfriend got her a mini, and she practiced for and ran the boston marathon twice with the full sized one (in fact, it was gen1, so it was even bigger than the big ones are now), and said she saw a ton of other people running with iPods too. they run marathons, their word is probably good for what its worth. obviously the smaller ones are better for running around with, but the real deal isn't too big. (My sister btw is like 5'2" and not very big. it's not like she's big football player with huge hands who has no problem with it)

if you flat out don't want to use iTunes, I wouldn't recommend an iPod though. the two are really extensions of each other.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I've rollerbladed with my iPod and it's much nicer to use than when I would go use my walkman. Doesnt weigh very much. Unless you're a pansy, I suppose.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:09 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Creative MuVo TX FM MP3 Player

That's what I've got and I love it. You download songs right into it (as it's a flash-drive) and you can create your playlists in different folders. I think I got it for like $99 at CompUSA about 8-9 months ago. It's not as "pretty" as the iPod, but I think the extra $150-$200 makes it a shitload more attractive if you're just going to use it to jog with or work-out to (as I do). If you want something that does more than that... get better speakers for your computer.

Vanblade
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I just sing in my head when I exercise. It's a lot cheaper.
Snouffman
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Neat. For the same price as the cheapest I-Pod Nano, I can buy a 1GB MUVO TX FM AND an accessory that lets me use the TX to play songs on my car stereo or on any other radio (which saves me from burning CDs). That was the other thing. Unless I want to get into costly mods for my car (starting at ONLY 159.99 after mail in rebate!) I can't use the I-pod to play songs out of my car stereo.
DanMeltzer
Zombie Monkey Pirate Pope

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

or you get a tape-converter thingie if you have a tape deck, or an FM-transmitter if you don't. last I checked those ran about $30, but that was 2 years ago.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic