Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Superbowl XL, The Game View next topic
View previous topic
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:15 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I saw it as a very ugly game with some really questionable calls by the officials. I watched the Steelers #53 jump offsides twice in a row without a call. The Seahawks touchdown was taken away without a review (the ball crossed the plane before he was out of bounds and he knocked over the pylon). As a fan of the game, I hate to see bad calls.

As a result of all the bad calls, the Seahawks started playing very poorly, and Hasselbeck got sloppy. Whenever a young quarterback starts trying to win the game for his team, you know its already over. Cowher had the good sense to keep the ball out of Rothlisbeger's hands, and go with the classic NFC North style of run to run out the clock.

My vote for MVP, the Steelers fans who made a game in Detroit a home game. No one on the field deserved it.

His Royal Whiteness

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm not good with names, but the Steelers had the best play with the double reverse and pass for a touchdown. The guy that threw the ball did an awesome job, considering he's not a QB.
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

eddie_baby wrote:
I saw it as a very ugly game with some really questionable calls by the officials.

Actually, the many people I've talked to were all in agreeance as this was one of the better Super Bowls of the recent past.

eddie_baby wrote:
The Seahawks touchdown was taken away without a review (the ball crossed the plane before he was out of bounds and he knocked over the pylon). As a fan of the game, I hate to see bad calls.

The call was made because he never had possession in-bounds at that time. If he had, then there would have been a different result. It was a good call or else Holmgren would have been a little more insistent about it getting looked at. Any fan of the game hates to see bad calls, but we do need to realize that The Super Bowl is under so much scrutiny that it probably features the least amount of "bad calls" of any game during the season.

eddie_baby wrote:
As a result of all the bad calls, the Seahawks started playing very poorly, and Hasselbeck got sloppy. Whenever a young quarterback starts trying to win the game for his team, you know its already over.

I completely disagree with this statement! To blame a few calls for the Seahawks not playing well is just not correct. Seattle battled through the entire game, but Pittsburgh's defense was just that much more battle-hardened. It wasn't the refs that demoralized the team, it was the Steeler D. Seattle took their shots but never landed that knock-out blow. As you're referring to a "young quarterback," just look at Big Ben! This is his second year! He ran when he had no other option and then took the game into his hands... look how he did! Hasselbeck tried to keep his team in the game mentally and that's what he's supposed to do!!!

eddie_baby wrote:
Cowher had the good sense to keep the ball out of Rothlisbeger's hands, and go with the classic NFC North style of run to run out the clock.

"Stall Ball" is an NFL staple. I hate The Steelers and wanted them to lose... until I realized that I was going to win $350 if they won Smile

Snouffman
Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 9:49 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Steveness wrote:
I'm not good with names, but the Steelers had the best play with the double reverse and pass for a touchdown. The guy that threw the ball did an awesome job, considering he's not a QB.

Anton Randel-El (I believe that's the correct spelling) was the passer on that play and was a good choice considering he played QB in college.
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 10:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Antwaan, but otherwise Matt got all the info right. It was a beautiful spiral! They've done that gimmick play before with Randle-El. It's the advantage of being able to convince a QB that he'll get to play with the team more if he moves to WR.

They tried that with Kordell Stewart when they drafted him, with O'Donnell. Kordell wanted the ball too much so it didn't work. The fact that your #2 WR is a very capable QB gives you a lot of options when you need a gimmick play to throw the defense off their game.

Note Randle-El is arguably the fastest guy on the team, possibly next to Willie Parker (Mr. 75 yd TD!).

There was an argument over that TD pass, and I agree that had it been a closer call, Holmgren would have challenged it. He clearly stepped out on the wrong side of the pylon, and it was questionable whether or not he made the catch before stepping out.

Great game!

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:01 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the TD pass for the seahawks def went out of bounds. he did not have posession til he was out and he knocked over the pylon from the outside.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

High_Lord_Galen
Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

the game was not that good offensively. Sure, both defenses came and played, but nothing stellar. Name one stand-out defender.

Seattle shot themselves in the foot with three holding penalties to stop three different drives in the first half. Both quarterbacks never really seemed to calm down effectively as passes were overthrown, erratic, or nearly intercepted(underthrown). Seattle's punting was horrendous, every ball for touchback and when they did have an opportunity to down at the 1 yard line, the seahawk was already in the endzone.

Cowher did much better at coaching than holmgren, he recognized big ben was not in complete control, so he went to running more and a few big trick plays. And, one or two brilliant pass plays by Ben, one that should have been intercepted instead of putting the steelers on the 3 yard line, do not counter his poor play.

Holmgren was upset about big ben's touchdown, too close to call. but the officials did a poor job in calling a tighter game(jackson's pass interference would have been legal in regular season game) and hasselbeck's tackle after interception being a chop block penalty. WHO DID HE HIT? THE GUY WITH THE BALL, NOT HIS BLOCKER.

so, what made it one of the better games in the past few years? The fact that the game was somewhat close through 3 quarters of play? ***edit*I will admit, that Pittsburgh, as a team, played better than Seattle, as a team. ***

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 1:29 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

High_Lord_Galen wrote:
so, what made it one of the better games in the past few years? The fact that the game was somewhat close through 3 quarters of play? ***edit*I will admit, that Pittsburgh, as a team, played better than Seattle, as a team. ***

Yes... the fact that the game was close actually DOES make it watchable. While Team A blows out Team B is fun for the fans of Team A, the rest of the country gets bored. Last year, speaking as a die-hard Eagles fan, it was close, but the score made it look a lot closer than it really was as New England completely outclassed The Eagles on every facet of the game.

The Super Bowl before last year (XXXVIII) was a great game coming down to a field-goal winning it at the wire by Vinatieri. Both Carolina and New England scored at-will in the 4th and it came down to a nail-biting conclusion. This one, however, looked pretty evenly matched going into half-time and still was close broaching the 4th quarter. There was no overwhelming "Pitt is running away with it" sentiment. SB 37 was a blow out as was 35. 34 was that game where the Titans literally lost the game by a foot when their receiver was tackled just shy of the winning touchdown to give Saint Louis the win. 36 was watching New England pull another rabbit out of the hat as they blew a 12 point lead at the half going into the final second of regulation when Vinatieri kicked THAT game-winner.

So yes... this game was one of the best since at least 2000 in terms of evenly-matched teams putting on a good show.

The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm looking forward to seeing them rematch in the regular season next year. If the schedule permits.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 3:31 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The AFC North plays the NFC South next year, so there will not be a Regular Season rematch.

source

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 7:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Preseason?

High_Lord_Galen
Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 12:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Close may be watchable, but BETTER? I need flashy, highlight reel plays to do that. I guess we just look for something different in our entertainment.

I am glad you enjoyed the game.

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

To be fair... I started REALLY watching the game when I realized I had a better than average shot of winning a few hundred bucks. That could explain my rapt attention at the end of the game while screaming at the TV to "shut those f*cking Seahawks DOWN!"

Very Happy

BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 6:54 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Should have been yelling at the refs then, they were running the game.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic