Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 New portfolio idea (please comment) View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:00 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So those of you following my grad school drama know that 1) I want to go to a gaming grad school in Orlando and 2) my portfolio idea had been a completed CRPG.

Well, that project is of such high scope it's impossible to juggle with work and recreation Sad

I've been thinking about other ideas. Something that has an obvious use in game programming. Something of brief scope (maybe a month or so to build) yet something that can demonstrate my design and coding skills.

A lot of CRPGs are using the Dungeons and Dragons rules. A lot of games also use level scaling. I've got two portfolio project ideas. Please comment. Smile

The first one is simple. It's just a program that lets you create D&D characters. I'm just going to code in stuff from the Player's Handbook. You would be able to make a first level character, save it, load it, level up, add loot.

The second one is a bit more complex and will recycle code from the first project. It will take as input an integer representing character level and an encounter type (rats, orcs, dragons, humans, etc.) It will create as output an encounter scaled to the party level.

For example - you tell the program to make an orc encounter scaled for a first level character. It's going to spit out a basic orc. Then you tell it to make an orc encounter scaled for a tenth level character. It spits out an orcish shaman complete with spell list and worg mount and his orcish barbarian bodygaurd.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
TheSumner
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I'd go with the second idea. It'd showcase your skills better and would stand out from the crowd.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 11:09 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you can integrate both, that would be kickass. Like you were saying, the first program will lay some of the groundwork for the second program. I'm willing to be one of your test subjects, if you so need one.

Not sure if you can get to the source code, but Wizards has a die rolling flash-based program on their DnD site. Click on the d20 on the sidebar of the DnD site.

Edit: Uty, see if you can get some examples of previous submissions from the peeps in Orlando. That way you'll know more about what they are looking for and where to focus your work.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:53 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think you have some good ideas. You might want to stay away from WotC IP though... gives you a chance to show how creative you are Smile
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The D20 system is under open liscence.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 1:56 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I would go further somehow... I wrote something like what you are planning on as an Excel macro..... its just too basic... you should look into doing some more advanced Id say.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic