Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 WACOM and Digital Paint View next topic
View previous topic
Brutal_Cow
Local Angel of Murphy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 4:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Just got a hold of a WACOM tablet for use with my graphics programs. Anyone got any tips or pointers for using them? I've got some really good digital paint going on, but trying to use the thing to actually draw is maddening.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 9:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ooooh, I can't wait to see if Christi decides to hate you for it, or love you Smile

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
France
Tech House Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:02 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I've found that actually using the tablet to draw can be a pain. you need to train yourself to not look at your hand. I've found that its better if you make your initial sketches using pencil/paper and scan them in.... then trace over in whatever program you are using.

Also some art programs have a 'straighten' function built into their pencil/pen drawing functions... this can help.

My best advice to using it to draw is to think of it as a pencil.... draw the lines over and over again using a stroke method... then erase the lines you dont want... that is one of the biggest benefits, being able to COMPLETLY erase
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Tim Buckley actually just posted a short youtube video on his website, ctrlaltdel, that shows him doing the scan over the initial sketch as well, if you wish to peruse it.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2006 11:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Alright, since I use the wacom as my mouse and use it all day, I may have something useful to add. Smile

I love the Wacoms (tho if I could, I'd buy a Cintiq instead in an instant!). It does take a little bit of beating your head against the wall at first, but the *undo* function and vectors and layers make it all worthwhile for me. Just keep at it.

Drawing in Photoshop can be largely annoying b/c, tho it does line quality (pressure makes lines thicker) the stroke gets all wiggly looking. Very blah. For this reason I draw all my comics (I do a webcomic at inthepuddle.com) in Flash nowadays - tho I've also enjoyed drawing in Alias Sketchbook Pro at times (just didn't want to pay for it when I already have the other 2 - someday tho). Here is the difference between a comic done in each program:

- Sketched and Inked in Flash, exported as a png, colored in Photoshop:
http://inthepuddle.com/index.php?cid=90

- All done in Photoshop:
http://inthepuddle.com/index.php?cid=36

- All done in Alias Sketchbook Pro:
http://inthepuddle.com/index.php?cid=59

I want Alias someday b/c it feels like you're drawing with a real pencil or pen. Very good program.

Most of my comics I do in Flash and color in Photoshop. I learned this technique from AppleGeeks.com, tho I've found a few others that do it too. If you go to AppleGeeks.com, he has one of the best tutorials for drawing beautiful comics I've ever seen.

If you're not shooting for comics so much, I remember Adobe Painter being a complete dream back when I used it in college. It's up there with Alias on my to-do list.

Hope that helps. Smile

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

wow that is a pretty big difference! i wonder how alias works... hmmm *ponder*
chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 9:51 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, I'd be using Alias all the time except I like using vector art - b/c it saves to a small size (a good thing when you make tons of comics and want to save all the files) but prints clearly on a billboard if you want it to! So it's less work when I want to turn them into books and tees and posters.

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

hey maybe you artistic types would be interested in this:

http://www.techgage.com/review.php?id=5116&page=1
chickiepie
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmm.. it's not vectors which I'm pretty attached to, but the thought that the ink is supposed to be super smooth on it and that I can use a bunch of different pen nibs.. tempting...

KiltedMan
Womb Raider

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 10:24 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Yeah, Christi's got a really large Wacom now (totally l33t) and I'm trying to buy her used, old and (not) busted one. Some day she'll tell me what she wants for it Wink

I call not the fat kid!

Cogito ergo sum fortior!
Soylens Viridis Homines Est.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic