Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 I want my money back!! View next topic
View previous topic
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:44 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Goddamn you and your tax money draining ways!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15832673/

Seriously, if the government KNOWS these charities are being bad,
Quote:
And every one of 15 charities that underwent a detailed audit by investigators at the Government Accountability Office was found to be engaged in ?abusive and potentially criminal activity,? according to a report on the investigation.

then why would they still have money earmarked for themselves?? Why not to the charities that might possibly actually use the money properly???? How does this still happen that they get their damn money from the government when they are under investigation by that same damn government?

I'd appreciate it if when you respond you keep in mind that I know our government has the "right hand doesn't know what the left is doing". However, it seems positively criminal that any charity or other recipient of any government money wouldn't be checked out first. Apparently we have strict rules about giving out money, but if you're already on the VIP list, you're good to go. Makes me feel good to know my money is being doled out so carefully.

The blurb in that article at MSNBC says that they're going to put out reports on good charities and how to research so that you don't fund something other than what your pamphlet says. If they can do it, and normal people can do it, I guess I just expect that our government can too.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:37 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

If it makes you feel better... the feds are taking money back from baltimore city schools since there is no proof of where the money went- so the school have to refund the money

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/education/bal-md.erate26nov26,0,3356292.story?coll=bal-education-k12

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 3:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I work with alot of Not for profit companies. It's not a cut and dry as the article makes it out to be. However when they do go fraudulently it is usually for one reason . . . . . there'll be more money. . . .Alot of Not for Profits have large endowments and the proceeds are what keep the organization strong. It is easy to say "hey lets spend the money.. . . wwe can just take another 40k from the endowment". Some of my clients have endowments in the millions. When you are dealing witht those things it is easy to steal. And yes, even that group (the one with a million or so in the bank) gets some sort of goverment assistance.

The other thing with there being alot of fraud in these groups is, they are normally not paid much and/or not paid at all. They really have nothing to bind them to the group.

It is very annoying.

Womb Raider

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2006 7:36 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

*resurrects old thread*

http://www.charitywatch.org/ratingguide.html is a URL Christi pointed me towards a couple years ago. It might help in the decisions for which charities are most effective in actually dispersing donated funds. She had one for responsible companies, but I don't remember that one.

I call not the fat kid!

Cogito ergo sum fortior!
Soylens Viridis Homines Est.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic