Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 FiOS, here I come.....? View next topic
View previous topic
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

So, we knew that Verizon was laying fiber in our area, and the lady came by yesterday as I was leaving for karate. My wife signed us up, but also signed us up for the cable service at the same time. I'm going to do some comparisons today and give them a call about what we ordered. What frustrates me is all the equipment rental they are trying to push on us, like Comcast used to do.

So, does anyone here have FiOS? My main question is that Verizon is trying to impress on us that they want to put in their own networking gear (wireless router), and i don't want to have anything to do with it. Do you need the equipment, or can you use/find your own?

I don't mind buying a FiOS / fiber modem, but like hell am I letting Verizon's hardware run my network.

Also, I'm already drooling over the 15Mbps service for the same price as Comcast's 5Mbps.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
AirwolfPSU
w00t!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:30 am Reply with quoteBack to top

A friend of mine in the DC area has FiOS and loves it (mainly because he doesn't have to pay Comcast anymore...) From what he has told me, you unfortunately do have to use their equipment, but you can disable the wireless capability on their router and run it to your own networking equipment. I think it has to do with the encoding/decoding of their signal, but I'm not entirely sure.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

...which is what a modem should do. So am I correct in assuming that Verizon's router has an integrated modem; or the other way around?

They are also trying to charge us by PC, which I don't particularly like. I thought that went away when cable internet and DSL stopped charging per PC.

Edit: Okay, finding more info. It is, indeed, a router. I'm going to call them to see what the dilly is, but one guy wrote he got the installer to use his Verizon laptop to set everythign up, then connected his own router to the Verizon router. They use DLink hardware, which I've always had problems with.

Looks like I'm going to have to string Cat 5 from where the box will end up going (looks like near the electric meter, which is in the garage and away from the rest of the house), to where my routers will be. Problem is, I don't have access to the walls or ceilings without cutting holes in them.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:56 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, so I cancelled the installation. There's just a few things about the installation and service that rub me the wrong way. Besides, we can always order it later.

High_Lord_Galen
Captain Oblivious

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 12:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I also recently inquired about verizon's FIOS, since they have been testing it recently just outside of our neighborhood. the tech was not able to carry on a conversation about the hardware devices required. It was very disappointing having to explain to them what a modem was.

Anyhow, information I may have been misinformed with includes:

1.Verizon will convert the fiber signal to your existing co-axial cable connections to connect to your tvs. The converter box per tv is required because of the inability to transmit multiple signals from the converter simultaneously. Are there hacks for this, because if every channel is sent to the converter, why can't it parse the information for every channel simultaneously? Any runs not already in your house are charged a fee.

2.Also, Verizon will convert the fiber signal to a Cat5 equivalent cable to a modem. I got crap about wanting to connect multiple computers without paying an additional connection fee as well. I cannot fathom how they would prevent you from putting another router downstream of theirs, but I have seen other acts of stupidity, all in the name of intellectual security

3.Fiber run and initial conversion box will most likely reside near the phone junction box in your house, although, the technician may change this due to physical layout of your residence.

I give it a year before best buy, circuit city and others start promoting fiber converters for services. the market is still small and they may be waiting for service availability to hit a certain % of the market because of financial justications

"Happiness is like those palaces in fairy tales whose gates are guarded by dragons: we must fight in order to conquer it." -Alexandre Dumas
eddie_baby
The Geek Next Door

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:11 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When they installed FIOS at my old place:

1) The Fiber Optic cable was run to my house near where the old copper cable had been run.

2) The Fiber was connected to a Terminal inside the house. This terminal needs access to an electrical outlet and is connected to a batter backup that lasts approximately 8 hours to ensure that phone service is not lost in case of an emergency.

3) The terminal divides the signal into two wires for your voice and data. The voice line runs directly into your existing phone box on the outside of your house.

4) The data line is a CAT 5 compliant wire run from the terminal to a DLink router. There is nothing special about this router except that it accepts 10/100 connections. I have heard that in cases where cable service is also provided, the router splits out the signal in the coax cable. You can do whatever you want to down stream of this router (and my boss has his Verizon router down stream from his own setup).

5) No special software is required on your computer. The installation provided is only to verify that your computer talks to the router. Do not fall for the multiple computer trap.

6) Set top boxes are required because Verizon uses a digital signal for its cable service. You have the same with Comcast Digital Cable, DirecTv, and Dish Network. I believe TV's that will support these signals will be available soon but you may need a card from your content provider.

I had FIOS before and will jump at the chance when they install it out here.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Ed's right. Verizon says they have special software on the router that is used for diagnostics and whatnot on the line, in the event of difficulties. No confirmation on that though. Others have installed their own routers downstream from the Verizon one to connect their home network.

Two more things:

1) 15 Mbps service is ~ same as Comcast's 5M service after promotional rates on both ends

2) Comcast has announced plans to force all its customers onto digital in the near future, so the Verizon service may be an even better option further on down the line.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic