Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (movie) View next topic
View previous topic
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Decent movie for the series. Better than the last one. I still think the 3rd is the best. Casting was superb. CGI quality varied but wow the spell battle near the end was well done. Unfortunately as with most book adaptations to truly capture everything the essence of the story a miniseries would be required. In this case the longest book of the series was turned into the shortest movie of the series. I won't put details in here so as not to spoil it for folks who haven't seen it yet.

This would be a great movie to see in IMAX and I hear that the last 20 minutes are in 3D.

w00t!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:35 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Hmmm, I disagree. I didn't like it. I know they had to remove some of the book for a movie version, but man, they removed a ton *and* changed some of the original storyline. I wasn't impressed and was more disappointed than anything. I think its only a good movie if you haven't already read the book. Otherwise, you keep thinking, "hey, wait, they forgot this!"

Uber-Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:07 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

See I think that about all of them. They take a ton out. It is the only way these large books can fit into 2hrs.

You gotta take them as a different take on the story.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 1:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought some of the change decisions were interesting. Particularly around the Occlumency lessons and how Harry learns various bits of history. Not really better or worse than the book, just short circuited.

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 4:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

In every single movie the part that I feel is missing the most is the character's emotional and mental development. The exception is the 3rd movie. Its the characters that interest me enough to want to keep reading these huge books. I agree that its a different take on the story (like the different versions of spiderman or X-men comics) but it was done at the expense of the characters for the sake of "action" and moving the plot along.

Occlumency was squeezed into a very short time frame. The crazy detentions were squeezed. Ron was barely in the film and in each case was overshadowed by Hermione. Quidditch isn't there at all (for the most part a good decision). They could have made the movie much better with about 15 to 20 minutes more of movie time.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 7:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't read any of the books. I liked the movie.

MILD SPOILERS!
--------------

My wife has read the books and she said one of the things she missed was the events leading to each individual "new rule." [She also agreed with what you guys felt was left out of the movie (e.g. Quidditch; though admittedly Quidditch was an afterthought in the third movie)]. I felt that the ever-increasing list of rules sort of did that; as they weren't that pivotal to making me understand what the Headmistress was trying to do (did anyone else feel she looked a LOT LOT LOT like Laura Bush?). If they elaborated any more on motivations behind Harry going emo for most of the movie, I would have walked out.

Considering they had a large book to work with, I think they did a reasonable job of sticking with the main plotline and getting the point across, without making it too long. The movies are more for children than the LotR series was, so it's difficult to put just as much content as one of those movies into almost an hour less time.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:17 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I have a unique perspective on this movie, since I finished reading the book the day that I saw the movie. Overall, I liked this least of the 5 books I've read so far. I felt that the movie did a better job of making some of the points from the book that Rowlings struggled to explain or over explained- aka 20 pages of Dumbledore explaining how he cares for Harry. Ok, got it. Then in other cases the movie completely missed the mark by eliminating characters and eliminating plot, which- I thought in many cases could have been summarized by 1 or two lines. Despite being the longest book in the series, 400 pages were set up- so I don't see why they had to eliminate so much. I felt that the movie would make little sense to someone that hadn't read the book, which is a shame. The wizard duel was really cool- the best part of the movie I thought. It was ok.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I was half expecting Rocky music during the "training montage."

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
pomenti
Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 5:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I'm one of those who hasn't read any of the books Shocked so for me the movie was good. Nothing great, but seems to flow well with the other movies. I wouldn't have liked it if they over-explained every detail, probably could just have used a few bits of extra explanation here and there.

PS - I actually have a copy of the new book (don't ask why) if anyone is interested.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:43 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I hated the movies from the beginning, and the only thing that got me to see movie #2 was Markley dragging me kicking and screaming. And then to #3. And #4. For #5, I was relatively interested in seeing it, because I don't look at them as a movie adaptation anymore - that would (and did) drive me bonkers, because they castrate the books even when, as previously mentioned, a line or two would add the needed setup.
Also, we got to see this one at Grauman's Chinese Theater. That alone made it worth it. So, sadly, by this time I'm just resigned to the fact that it's like that fluffy icing they put on the ACME cakes - it looks nice, but isn't really that good.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
bigsado
Mistress E

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 10:18 am Reply with quoteBack to top

spoilers

ok, i think the best of the films so far were 3 and 4, both dark with plenty of character building. #5 just seemed like a transition from 4 to 6. seemed like filler to me. other than sirius dying i felt like nothing major happened. the wizard battle at the end was kewl, but there wasn't really any action other than that. side note: dementors still freak me out. and no i have not read the books either.

"I can't believe i gave my panties to a geek" -MR

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic