Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Portables View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:50 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I bitched about increased business travel elsewhere, and I will also fly down to Florida to visit my family in December. I think its time I ought to pick up a portable. Which one would you recommend? I'm most interested in picking up turn based RPGs.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:26 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Well I only have a DS and no PSP. But aside from Jeanne D'arc and the upcoming FF Tactics game, there's nothing really on the PSP. For the DS there's FF tactics advance, Advance Wars 1 and 2, Puzzle Quest, pokemon, all of the original FF's 1-6 in various updates and collections., and a mess of atlus strategy games. The back catalog is just so much better on the DS, and the touch-screen/stylus interface is pretty cool for a lot of games.

And, as I'm sure you love to draw rainbows, there's the awesome Kirby game, too. Wink

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 3:03 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Another vote for the DS. It's the only thing that keeps Heather sane on her consulting trips.
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

The DS also has a Zelda game that has gotten great reviews. It's very "kiddy," though.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 3:46 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I just saw a mention of a roguelike dungeon crawler for the DS called Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja. It's got a pink haired anime ninja chick on the cover, how could it be bad? Apparently the gameplay is really tough and punishing, but the rest of the game is pretty awesome. I'm going to check for used copies around.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I don't think I can handle another Roguelike after Persona 3. Effing 120 hours.

I'm going with a PSP for now. I'll pick up Silent Hill Origins and the Disgea port when they come out. And the new release of Final Fantasy Tactics which includes a better translation and some other nifty stuff.

Speaking of Final Fantasy, it seems like they're giving the older games facelifts on the DS. If they redo VIj I might pick one up just for that.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:24 am Reply with quoteBack to top

If you were just going to get a PSP, why did you bother asking?

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:45 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I took a look at everything that was recommended in this thread. I also started the thread before I knew of two of the three PSP games I mentioned in my last post. There ya go.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
AirwolfPSU
w00t!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:47 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Uty wrote:
Speaking of Final Fantasy, it seems like they're giving the older games facelifts on the DS. If they redo VIj I might pick one up just for that.

Was that supposed to be FF6 or FF7? They redid 6 and called it FF6 Advance. They did the same to 4 and 5 too.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:28 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

FFs 4, 5, 6 Advance aren't really facelifts, though. They're pretty much straight ports with one or two new areas and a monster guide and such. FF 3 for the DS is a major face lift of a game that had never been released in the US in any form. I have 4 for my gba, and they did a really nice job with it for a port.

If you're going with the PSP, definitely check out that jeanne d'arc game, I've heard fabulous things about it from everyone.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

http://www.gamespot.com/ds/rpg/finalfantasyiii/images.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=gsimage&tag=images;all#

Those are some images from the Final Fantasy IIIj remake. They've announced that they'll do the same for IIe/IVj.

Basically Sqaure is milking its old titles for as much as they're worth. Its only a matter of time before they make everything in the series look as awesome as FFX did. Unless people stop buying this shit of course.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
AirwolfPSU
w00t!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

From whast I have seen, most of the "FF advance" titles are basically straight ports with the translations, graphics and music cleaned up, and they've gotten pretty good reviews from classic final fantasy fans. I haven't heard much about the DS specific ones though.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic