Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 I hate the news View next topic
View previous topic
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:06 am Reply with quoteBack to top

1. Douchewad wants to be famous
2. Douchewad goes on shooting spree
3. News outlets make douchewad famous

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:15 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Same situation as the guy who shot John Lennon. Stupid media. Evil or Very Mad

bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I thought Chapman was killing Lennon due to a mental disorder where he believed he WAS Lennon and couldn't rectify two of them existing.

This new one, well... he's a moron and the media did exactly what they shouldn't have: Gave him the press.

shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:08 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I think that the media needs to have a rule about shooters- ie, refering to them only by last name and showing no pictures of the person or something like that. Obviously, the news is going to report shooting rampages and people are going to want to know who did it. So, there needs to be some way not to give these psychos the fame they want.

Mother Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 2:19 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the problem is more that there are crazy people out there that will kill people than that the media will make said crazy person infamous. Trying to hide information about the shooter will just make people want to find it out more.

Anyway, every time I get mad at the media (days ending in 'y') I remind myself that they are only there to sell advertising and that helps me put things in perspective...
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:55 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

What about Ben Franklin and free press being necessary to the protection of the people in a free republic? (Playing devil's advocate)

Court Jester

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

When the people running the press are just as stupid and lazy as the people they're selling advertising to, what difference does it make?

Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 9:59 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:
What about Ben Franklin and free press being necessary to the protection of the people in a free republic? (Playing devil's advocate)

Yes, I agree. That doesn't contradict what I said though.
Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 9:52 am Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:
What about Ben Franklin and free press being necessary to the protection of the people in a free republic?

Boycotts are not a curtailment of free press. Wink

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
bjciii
Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:20 am Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:

This is where many people get tripped up. First Amendment rights and Ben Franklin's idea about Free Press are both necessary for us to maintain the idea of America; that much is very true.

However... responsibility is also necessary. You can yell "Fire!" in a crowded theatre, but it's not responsible. Geraldo can tell America EXACTLY where the troops are in Iraq, but it might lead to casualties. I really don't want to sound like Uncle Ben here, but with the power to lead a free press comes the great responsibility to use it correctly.

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 4:41 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Brian, Network news executives aren't stupid. They laugh all the way to the bank and I wouldn't be surprised if they were to only lament in passing what the public consumes. Network news and the newspapers have transformed into sources of entertainment. It is part of the egenda to keep ad revenue rolling in. The editors/producers/owners nearly always have an agenda beyond revenue. To a certain extent these tragedies need to be talked about because there are lessons to be learned. Maybe one day enough will be learned to squash "it" before someone dies.

I agree that the style of coverage should change. But in my opinion, infamy is a byproduct of shock that after Columbine, Virginia Tech, and other incidents this type of situation is not defused before it results in tragedy. And honestly, who remembers the name of the murderer from any of those major incidents? What the majority of people take away is a sense of loss and disappointment that something in society is broken "over there".

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:10 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Yes, Rupert Murdoc is completely focused on a free and unbiased press.

I agree with keeping a free press and the public's "right to know," I'm just pointing out that just because the press has a right to know, doesn't mean it won't report said news in such a way to sell more papers.

Doing so makes me rethink their "right" to report the news.

A good example:

I was on the jury for this trial:

Link

Once the trial was over, I read over the articles this man was writing regarding the court proceedings. The facts and "sanitized data" he reported made me question his right to report on the case. It also suggests he wrote for the Review.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic