Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 The Golden Compass View next topic
View previous topic
Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:33 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

We went to see it Saturday. I have to say it was quite awesome! A very good story line, great animation and some kick-ass polar bear fight scenes. Also, had we never heard about all the anti-christian hoopla, you'd never know the bad guys were the "church" in the movie. Two thumbs up!! Cool Heck, I even ordered the book on Sunday.....

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 8:30 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Good to see that the polar bears could still get some work after they were laid off from the winter Coca-Cola commercials.

Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:04 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The few people I talked to who read the book(s) said the movie made absolutely no sense.

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 10:37 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Movies are rarely like the book, that's a given. I just got the book today, when I'm done reading it I'll decide how I feel. Smile However, I still say the movie was great, and the 4 of us who went all enjoyed it quite a lot.

Discount Oral Pleasure

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:22 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Apparently, in the infinite wisdom of the movie bosses, the majority of the atheistic content was stripped out of the movie to make it more accessible to cross-sections of society (aka "Christians").

jeboleth
Slutzilla

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:46 am Reply with quoteBack to top

They also toned it down a bit so that they could reach a greater audience and make more money on the film. Assuming it makes enough money for the sequels, they are gonna try and make the sequels more "controversial".
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 12:50 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Ok, I am now curious. What is the atheistic content?

Might have to pick up the book along with "God is not Great" which I've been meaning to get...
maslow
Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:32 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I haven't seen the movie (yet) nor read the books (again, yet), though I own some and have been meaning to. With all the hubbub, I've read reviews of varied sorts, including with the author (who refused to write the movie script, saying that it was a realm for movie writers, not novelists). From what I understand, they did strip many things - including references to the Magesterium (or something similar?) as being "the Church", and even changed the movie's ending to make it happier/more upbeat. Apparently the original was too dark, and the series only gets darker as you go through.
On an interesting note, the author claims that while he fell out of favor/love with the Church, it is NOT atheist nor anti-christian. What I read into that is: I dislike the church, but not the religion in and of itself. To me, that says it's against the institution of a church, but not religion, per se.
Then again, I still haven't seen the movie, nor books. However, I kind of think an author would know if he hates something, and I'd think if he was anti-Christian, they would've been able to find concrete examples in his life by now. More than just the book saying "Down with the church". Which is what I've gotten from the synopsizes? Synopsi? The whatevers that I've read.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
The Yellow Dart
Lifeless Reject

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 9:11 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Golden Map
The Golden GPS
?

"Laura, it was nice boozin with your UD friends. I'll happily share another blowjob with them anytime." - Christi
erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:23 am Reply with quoteBack to top

The Golden Bikini

Court Jester

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 11:13 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Girl in Gold Boots (awesome MST3K episode!)

Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:41 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Okay, I finished the book. <sigh> It is soooooo different from the movie, I liked both, but now I can see why the readers were upset. I guess you have to just imagine them as two separate stories with very similar characters. And, I just finished the Subtle Knife (book 2) last night, wow, how the hell are they gonna make that one into a movie w/o ripping it up too??? Shocked

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic