Bork Bork!
 FAQ  •  Search  •  Memberlist  •  Usergroups   •  Register  •  Profile  •  Log in to check your private messages  •  Log in
 Books that make you dumb View next topic
View previous topic
Stealthr4v3r
Mother Superior

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:34 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

fun with correlations!

http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/

Clearly I need to read Lolita Smile

Also, I've always maintained that Ray Bradbury causes brain damage.
Tigger
Tech House Child Molester

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:48 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Lolita was awful, don't bother.

It's kinda interesting how most of the classic lit novels are just about average in this little theory of his.

Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:57 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

I think the data is off, there is no way "100 years of Solitude" makes you smarter than "A tale of two cities." Sorry, Dickens is a classic! "Two cities..." is a book that is beyond fabulous and will stay with you long after reading it. And "100 years" is a horrible, woman bashing, rant that should be trashed. He also dissed on "Great Expectations" yet another one of my most fav books. I don't think I'm *that* dumb and I love these books.

Professional Pun Person

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Of course the data is off.... part of the biggest problem with this is which books are REQUIRED reading, and which are not. I also enjoyed "Hamlet" and then "Shakespeare" are separate "books", "Dan Brown" ranks lower than "Angels and Demons" and "The Da Vinci Code", which maybe shows lazy -> SAT score linkage? Also The Holy Bible ranks lower than just The Bible, which is interesting enough to show something to me. Also not dealt with, SAT testing = smart? So you're telling me that the people who get high scores are ALL smart, and all the medium to low scores are all dumb? Much as I'd like to believe it as being truth (yay, I'm supersmart!), I'm not that naive.

I forgot to add also, being on a book club - such as Oprah's or whatever, while it will open more people to reading, which I'm all about, will also most likely "pull down" a books ranking.

Beyond all that, it was interesting to see where some of the books I enjoy(ed) sit, and where the ones I abhor are in relation to them.

*The Traffic Lets Up, But Breathing Becomes Difficult*

Guy on cell: When the freeway ends, turn left...Yes, the freeway ends....Because the continent ends, dipshit.
--Hermosa Beach, California
View user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressMSN Messenger
Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:32 am Reply with quoteBack to top

I wonder if the reason "Dan Brown" ranks lower that the two books he wrote is because people didn't connect author + book? And no, I do not think SAT = smart, the SAT (or the damn GRE Evil or Very Mad) is simply a score of what you know and what you can recall on a certain day at a certain time under the constraints of an exam w or w/o added pressure.

BTW, the one book I could not stomach (100 years) was an Oprah book that I originally refused to read because of that tag. Yet I was convinced by a soul that it was worth the read. I stand by my original thought, Oprah book = crappy book.

Court Jester

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:52 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

And, of course, a ton of these books are the ones that people like to say they enjoyed to make themselves sound smart, when they really didn't.

erait
Certified Geek

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 1:28 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Forget the list. The correlation makes no sense. He's saying that people are made dumb by the books they read yet he's only taking an "intelligence measurement" before people read the books. Never mind that popularity doesn't correlate with choice on a college campus. Very few schools would have had a class that made Eragon required reading but how people in a 15,000 strong student body would honestly pick up and read Great Expectations by choice rather than by their professor?

I really liked Fahrenheit 451 and my SAT scores much higher than where it is ranked. Is Running with Scissors somehting other than a Wierd Al album?

Mother Superior

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:35 am Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:
Forget the list. The correlation makes no sense. He's saying that people are made dumb by the books they read yet he's only taking an "intelligence measurement" before people read the books. Never mind that popularity doesn't correlate with choice on a college campus. Very few schools would have had a class that made Eragon required reading but how people in a 15,000 strong student body would honestly pick up and read Great Expectations by choice rather than by their professor?

I really liked Fahrenheit 451 and my SAT scores much higher than where it is ranked. Is Running with Scissors somehting other than a Wierd Al album?

Oh yeah? Well I really liked Great Expectations and hated Fahrenheit 451 and my SAT scores are way lower than yours!
shate98
Hot Artist Chick

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:59 am Reply with quoteBack to top

This chart is just stupid. SAT scores don't show real intelligence and required reading lists can often include lots of random stuff- like oprah book club books. My favorite book is gone with the wind and my sat scores are much higher than that.

erait wrote:
Is Running with Scissors something other than a Wierd Al album?

Yeah- they made a really boring movie out of it.

Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:03 am Reply with quoteBack to top

shate98 wrote:
SAT scores don't show real intelligence

What's the deal with all the huge words that no one uses, anyway? Eschew obfuscation.

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
BrianW
Court Jester

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:01 am Reply with quoteBack to top

erait wrote:
Forget the list. The correlation makes no sense. He's saying that people are made dumb by the books they read yet he's only taking an "intelligence measurement" before people read the books.

Considering the web site says in big bold letters: "Yes, I'm aware correlation ? causation. The results are awesome regardless of direction of causality.
You can stop sending me email about this distinction. Thanks." I think he's aware and that the entire thing is merely for entertainment purposes, like Astrology.

Learn to recognize satire, please. I'm sure the guy who wrote laddertheory.com doesn't think it's the literal truth despite mounds of empirical evidence.

Uty
Tang Soo Techie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 4:05 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

BrianW wrote:
I'm sure the guy who wrote laddertheory.com doesn't think it's the literal truth despite mounds of empirical evidence.

There are no fat men
There are no broke women

Violets are #0000FF
All my base
Are belong to you
Tethys
w00t!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:00 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

Quote:
how people in a 15,000 strong student body would honestly pick up and read Great Expectations by choice rather than by their professor?

Um, that would be me, I read it on my own w/o prodding by academia. And I loved it. My SAT scores? Don't recall, but they apparently were good enough to get into college, and get a BS, MS and PhD out of it all, so go Charles Dickens!

Barely Adequate

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:25 pm Reply with quoteBack to top

me no read good. me get mba.

Certified Geek

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:16 am Reply with quoteBack to top

Sometimes it is so much fun being a contentious Jew.

Quote:
Learn to recognize satire

I dont classify this site as satire. Not strictly speaking anyway.

The SAT is not an IQ test, it is a measure of how well people can do on the SAT. It doesn't measure how good or bad a student the test taker will be, it doesn't say anything about what kind of person the test taker will be in the college community and later in life, it doesn't say anything about how good you might be in business.

Quote:
Eschew obfuscation.

Funny that I never would see the word obfuscate anywhere until after it became part of everyday language in Vampire: The Masquerade.

Quote:
Um, that would be me, I read it on my own w/o prodding by academia. And I loved it.

Go you. Seriously. My instincts tell me that you are in the minority.

Jump to:   

View next topic
View previous topic